The Watch Site banner

TO relume or NOT to RELUME ? This is the question

18K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  amateriat 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, i have recently acquired a 1970 6139-6000 with a 'Proof' dial. The watch has been mechanically restored and now needs some cosmetic work. This includes the lume on the dial. My question is wether I should have it done or not? The original lume is a little dark, BUT I have seen many BAD examples of a relume that detract terribly from the overall appearance of the watch. As this is a 'Proof' dial in a notched case I'm reluctant to spoil it, but if done well would probably improve its appearance. On the other hand it would possibly be a step back in the watches original condition. Should I get it done or leave it alone?
This is a picture of the watch. P.S I need a black inner bezel if anyone has one they are prepared to sell me!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My personal take is to re-lume the hands and dial at the same time to match, but that's me, I do not like grotty looking lume.

You need not have it done white, you could choose your tint, slightly cream/aged if you preferred.

I did this 6139-6002 dial Jim gave me and some hands to match, they reside now in a 6002 series case with the correct coloured chronograph hands.

Getting hold of a black/blue rotating indicator wheel in good condition is a big challenge, I and many others are constantly looking for them.

#6 ·
The old lume is usually hard and brittle and can be removed by scraping/prising off. I use a combination of a needle/drawing pin and small screwdriver.

It has to be done carefully to avoid slipping, as dial ruin will result (how do I know that:biggrin:). I usually have the dial in a spare mainplate/watch case to support the dial and give something to hold on to.

Hands I soak in acetone and scrape off from the back side of the hands to avoid damage to the front/visible side. A fine needle to remove the old lume from in the corners.

#7 ·
Hi Mike and Polly. Talking to another member today he told me that you did a good right up on servicing / removing a 6139 movement, can u provide me a link to it, and do you take on commissions for the relume work, or can u make a recommendation. Thanks Andrew.

#11 ·
It seems that opinion is as divided among others as it is for me personally. I'm getting the impression that discretion may be the better part of valour with this, and leave it alone. After all the work that's been done to it, it would be a shame to spoil it now. Thanks for all feedback Andrew.

#12 ·
Hello guys, I have the same dilemma. I think I'll go the relume road. Who can I send my dial to have a good reluming treatment?

#14 · (Edited)
Since I originally posted this i sent the watch back to Tom Hickman who I bought it from in the first place and he has totally restored the watch for me. He has relumed the dial, somehow managed to get hold of a black inner ring and cleaned up the case which had quite a few marks in it and brushed up the bracelet as well. It now looks amazing. Hopefully Tom is going to post a few pictures he's taken. I think he's pretty proud of what he's achieved with this one as well he should. Now I've seen what he's managed to achieve, I'd defiantly suggest going the relume route. There's no comparison between what it used to look like and how it looks now.

#15 · (Edited)
Ha! Thanks Andy. Not sure about proud, unfortunately I have a disposition that means I can never be proud of anything I have done - "I can always do it better, next time!" To be honest it gets a bit annoying!

So lets see...this was before, as sold to you:

And this is now:

So it now looks quite nice and tidy. I had always intended to keep this for myself, only selling it as it happened I brought a few to many watches to sort out. Now I have WAY too many!

And this is what it looked like new of course, I love this AD:

#18 ·
Hi and welcome!
I'm not sure a 'vintage' lume would look right here. The watch picked up from looking a little grubby when I originally sold it to then looking pretty sharp with a better used bezel insert a proper crystal and that perfect inner bezel. The mouldy lume just looked mouldy. A new lume job finished it off into a very tidy watch.
What do you think of how it looks now?
T

P.s. I love the way lume goes to that lovely creamy colour on old diver watches and such like... But on these chronographs and seiko 5's it just seems to go black and mouldy-yuk.

#32 · (Edited)
Since my recent return to all things Seiko, this question has gnawed at me a bit:

So far, I have one old Seiko (6139-7060) and a new one (5 Spacewalk). Love both of them to pieces, and both are running well (though the old one might need some mild regulating). The 6139 might eventually benefit from a proper relume, as the original lume is intact, but rather weak. (Yes, the Spacewalk shows it up noticeably in the dark, although the new one loses it as well after a few hours). Having seen some horrendous relume jobs on offer via certain auction sites, I'll obviously show some discretion when choosing someone to do the job. (I've gotten a few clues here already.)

My plan was to stop at three watches...you're probably rolling on the carpet after reading this...

- Barrett

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.