The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just registered to get vintage seiko expert opinions here:

coincidentally, i met another watch enthusiast who is thinking of offloading his vintage diver watches

2 x 6159, and 2 x 6105, i am mighty tempted to buy them over, so i would be grateful if any feedback/advice on what to take note of the pieces below (pardon the iphone quality pics). I have not negotiated on the prices, so indicative prices would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
++++++++++++++++++++
6105 #1
6105-1A.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++
6105 #2

++++++++++++++++++++
6159 #1 == very tempting this piece...

++++++++++++++++++++
6159 #2 == am concerned on the lume mold, or is it bad re-lume job?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Getting into vintage Seiko via a 6105 is one thing. Via a 6159 is something else. These are in good condition and will not be cheap. I would be uncomfortable quoting expected prices, but the 6159 could be between 3 to 4x the price of the 6105.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Depending on price all four would be good buys going by there condition, 6159s would be at least 3 to 4 times the price of the 6105s, note both of the 6159s have count up bezels, I prefer count down but just personal preference.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Those all look pretty good. Maybe a little corrosion on the dial and hands of 6159 #2, but no showstoppers. I agree with the above ... depending on price all four would be well worth acquiring.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got over the completist collector thing a while back,
went from three 6217s to none,
one 300m 6159 to none,
one 600m 6159 to none,
kept a few 6105s, 6309s, got ride of most and the 6306s,
kept a few 70m divers, gmts, and chronos but got rid of most.

I guess more of it was the thrill of the hunt for me.

What is it relative value to you?
Maybe I would spend half a days pay For a mint NOS 6105 in box.
A day for a similar 6159 300m.
Maybe two days for a 6215.

If it was a week’s let alone a months pay I would not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wut?
I got over the completist collector thing a while back,
went from three 6217s to none,
one 300m 6159 to none,
one 600m 6159 to none,
kept a few 6105s, 6309s, got ride of most and the 6306s,
kept a few 70m divers, gmts, and chronos but got rid of most.

I guess more of it was the thrill of the hunt for me.

What is it relative value to you?
Maybe I would spend half a days pay For a mint NOS 6105 in box.
A day for a similar 6159 300m.
Maybe two days for a 6215.

If it was a week’s let alone a months pay I would not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the all the comments above, i think i will prob nego the for 6159#1 & 6105-8000

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know, I never would have guessed it 20 years ago.
But finding out for the first time about 6159s, finding one, getting it
or
discovering 6105s, two models, multiple variants, !!!
70m proof watches! 600m! Etc. Etc.
Finding out new in a period with a paucity of information compared to now, or even being the one to find a variant not known, etc. is all very, very cool.

If you are a serial, multiple hobbiest sometimes you end up trimming after the excitement phase is in the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mean "wut" on the part of paying a day's salary on a 6159... i don't earn 5k a day climbing the corporate ladder (that's what a mint 6159 is going for right)

I know, I never would have guessed it 20 years ago.
But finding out for the first time about 6159s, finding one, getting it
or
discovering 6105s, two models, multiple variants, !!!
70m proof watches! 600m! Etc. Etc.
Finding out new in a period with a paucity of information compared to now, or even being the one to find a variant not known, etc. is all very, very cool.

If you are a serial, multiple hobbiest sometimes you end up trimming after the excitement phase is in the past.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I mean "wut" on the part of paying a day's salary on a 6159... i don't earn 5k a day climbing the corporate ladder (that's what a mint 6159 is going for right)
Thats what I meant by relative. If your one day salary was 1250 ten years ago, and so was a A 6159, maybe it was worth it to you. If your one day salary is 2500 now, but it’s now 5k, is it worth it to you?

If 5k is a weeks salary , or a months, is it worth it?

I wasn’t trying to ask anyone’s or state actual numbers,
just bringing up the concept of how much it cost someone and if it was worth it to them, and what my cut off would be.

Like, if you spend 1.5 months salary paying all your kids in college, 1.5 months on your mortgage, 3 months on your taxes, I couldn’t see spending 1.5 months pay on a dream watch versus I might buy my dream watch if it’s 0.5 months pay, and definitely two weeks pay.

$150 for a watch was huge to me thirty years ago. Maybe 3/16 of my monthly take home pay then. Almost half a month‘s rent. Enough to cover utilities. 3/4 of a car payment. The equivalent of today money as $300. $300 today is a far, far less significant expenditure than the equivalent then $150 was to me thirty Years ago.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
So I guess you wouldent spend the equivalent of 4 1/2 months income on a watch you really really like ? sometimes and only sometimes your heart has got to rule your brain, you may not agree but as you get older you may see the sense in it and from what I can make out your a long time bloody dead :( so we need to live a little while we are able.

Thats what I meant by relative. If your one day salary was 1250 ten years ago, and so was a A 6159, maybe it was worth it to you. If your one day salary is 2500 now, but it’s now 5k, is it worth it to you?

just bringing up the concept of how much it cost someone and if it was worth it to them, and what my cut off would be.

Like, if you spend 1.5 months salary paying all your kids in college, 1.5 months on your mortgage, 3 months on your taxes, I couldn’t see spending 1.5 months pay on a dream watch versus I might buy my dream watch if it’s 0.5 months pay, and definitely two weeks pay.

$150 for a watch was huge to me thirty years ago. Maybe 3/16 of my monthly take home pay then. Almost half a month‘s rent. Enough to cover utilities. 3/4 of a car payment. The equivalent of today money as $300. $300 today is a far, far less significant expenditure than the equivalent then $150 was to me thirty Years ago.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It‘s totally up the the individual.

I would have a very hard time spending several months pay on a watch. I don’t think I could do it. If it is worth it to someone else to do it, again, it’s their decision.

What is a long time bloody dead frowny face?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wut again... but its ok, your comments wouldn't be worth 2 cents of my time... i mean relatively of course...

·
Registered
158 Posts
"as you get older you may see the sense in it and from I can make out your a long time bloody dead :( so we need to live a little while we are able. "
ditto

1 - 20 of 25 Posts