Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good modern companion of my 6138-001 UFO and 6139-6002:

Unfortunately Seiko doesn´t want to reissue the 6138/9. :(:(:(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Great looking watch! I love that reissue. How does it wear? Seems big but I imagine the short lugs make it wear smaller.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Great looking watch! I love that reissue. How does it wear? Seems big but I imagine the short lugs make it wear smaller.

Yes, this is my question too. I think that the “lower” rung of the Swatch group is doing terrific work with their heritage pieces. Hamilton Intermatic, Longines heritage, and this Tissot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
I love it - what a beautiful and classic design ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Yes, it´s 43.5 mm X 50 mm with a L2L of 47, so it wears somewhat close to my UFO, but it´s thicker and while Seiko´s shanks are flutes this is literally a slab case.

Yes, this is my question too. I think that the “lower” rung of the Swatch group is doing terrific work with their heritage pieces. Hamilton Intermatic, Longines heritage, and this Tissot.

Tissot is lower end in the Swatch group, but this is not a lower end watch, fit and finish are like Longines at least and a step above the Hamilton Intra-matic, this is a detail of the movement:

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
Finally we can buy watches that we couldn't buy when we were young;)
Because we didn't have so much money;)
+1 to that. There are benefits to getting older !!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tissot is lower end in the Swatch group, but this is not a lower end watch, fit and finish are like Longines at least and a step above the Hamilton Intra-matic, this is a detail of the movement:

Tissot makes great watches. I've had a few and love their offerings and history. But they are priced well below Longines in the Swatch hierarchy. No matter, this is a wonderful release by Tissot and I hope they continue with watches like these. Like you said, it should be a great companion to your 6138.

If only we could get Seiko to release some similar new pieces.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yes, it´s 43.5 mm X 50 mm with a L2L of 47, so it wears somewhat close to my UFO, but it´s thicker and while Seiko´s shanks are flutes this is literally a slab case.

Oh yes, I used lower in quotes. This is my favorite segment. I have both Hamilton and Tissot. You are correct on the movement, Tissot did a lot of great finish work there. Terrific Chrono.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tissot makes great watches. I've had a few and love their offerings and history. But they are priced well below Longines in the Swatch hierarchy. No matter, this is a wonderful release by Tissot and I hope they continue with watches like these. Like you said, it should be a great companion to your 6138.

If only we could get Seiko to release some similar new pieces.

Well this one was priced at the same level as a Longines chronograph, like the Hamilton Intramatic that costs almost as much as a Longines Bigeye.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well this one was priced at the same level as a Longines chronograph, like the Hamilton Intramatic that costs almost as much as a Longines Bigeye.
Ha, I just figured out I was talking to you on that other site about this watch. :)

Interesting comment on the price. In the states, I believe this retails for $2100 which is the bottom of the pricing for Longines (I think I saw one for $2050). Your Big Eye retails for $2625. Both brands enjoy healthy gray market discounts, though I'd bet your 1973 doesn't get discounted much given the limited edition and newly released (I know you got a great deal on it, though).

Looking at your pictures, I'd say it absolutely matches up with F/F with some of the Heritage Longines offerings, making this Tissot a great value. (As I own the Longines, I don't want to consider the alternative - that Longines isn't a great value.) :)

I hope this sells out quickly and Tissot is encouraged to do more like this. I've considered that recent 1948 Heritage chrono but it didn't seem as well made as this from what I could see on the web. But it was also significantly cheaper. I guess there's no free lunch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts