The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been procrastinating today and snooping through the 'Bay in the process.

I see an increasing number of our favorite Seikos being offered with aftermarket parts very clearly stated in the auctions' descriptions. Kudos to these sellers for being up-front about this.

I do question, however, the various forms these sellers use to say "guaranteed authentic" and similar notions of provenance.

Your opinions please...

How many aftermarket parts does it take to make a watch un-authentic?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would say one if it is a "core component" like dial, case, caseback, hands or crown. I am on the fence for things like crystal or rotor but would allow exchanges of "technical" components like a wheel.

/ martin

·
Administrator
30,124 Posts
swedefreak said:
Been procrastinating today and snooping through the 'Bay in the process.

I see an increasing number of our favorite Seikos being offered with aftermarket parts very clearly stated in the auctions' descriptions. Kudos to these sellers for being up-front about this.

I do question, however, the various forms these sellers use to say "guaranteed authentic" and similar notions of provenance.

Your opinions please...

How many aftermarket parts does it take to make a watch un-authentic?
IMO apart from consumables such as gaskets then one after market part makes it un-authentic (is that a word LoL).

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I would say that other than crystal and gaskets, which are intended to be replaced periodically, anything else, if aftermarket, would make the watch not original. that said depending on the piece being replaced, sometimes not-original does not a bad thing make.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
So I guess the waters are not muddy at all, as long as the asking price reflects the use of aftermarket parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts