The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Special Member
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks all original to me. Dial, font, hands - it all seems to jive with the reference guides. Not sure on the crown - looks close - could be photo angle.

thoughts or concerns?

Thanks in advance ....

Watch Hand Analog watch Gesture Finger
Watch Hand Analog watch Body jewelry Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Wrist Watch accessory

·
Craftsman
4,010 Posts
I'd say it looks legit. There is no one making aftermarket yellow dial version dials that I know of.

·
Special Member
2,635 Posts
Pushers aren’t original Mike. Missing the angled bevel. At least on the pics they do look to round. Not so sure with the crown too. Will have a look when I am at home.
Edit: Hard to tell with the crown. Here is a pic of mine. But does it really matter? Pushers are an easy thing, if it is really important than the crown can be changed too without any effort. Regarding the yellow dial - I think it was once orange and faded through the years. Also the original, orange markers, points… on the bezel do look yellowish now. Could also look only like that through the pic. Just realized that the hands on mine do look more yellow too on pic. In real they are orange… Already yours pal?
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Watch accessory

·
Special Member
1,618 Posts
Pushers aren’t original Mike. Missing the angled bevel. At least on the pics they do look to round. Not so sure with the crown too. Will have a look when I am at home.
Edit: Hard to tell with the crown. Here is a pic of mine. But does it really matter? Pushers are an easy thing, if it is really important than the crown can be changed too without any effort. Regarding the yellow dial - I think it was once orange and faded through the years. Also the original, orange markers, points… on the bezel do look yellowish now. Could also look only like that through the pic. Just realized that the hands on mine do look more yellow too on pic. In real they are orange… Already yours pal?
View attachment 480954
Very nicely unpolished... (y)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is it the consensus that the yellow is just a faded orange?
Having had both side by side, I personally feel they're totally different, but what do the experts here think?

ben

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Product

Watch Brown Analog watch Product Black

·
Special Member
2,635 Posts
I think they are faded. I can’t remember to have seen a yellow one in the old catalogs. That „champagne„ dial is also due to aging and not from factory. But who knows, one day a pic will show up and show the yellow one - just as it happened with the Aussie Pogue.

·
Craftsman
1,975 Posts
I agree with Phil that the pushers look AM Mike. A bit too rounded at the ends from my perspective. That could easily be corrected. The reset of the watch looks very nice and original albeit a bit faded. I know Tom (Seikopsycho2) knows a lot about these. I believe the earlier versions had more of a silver tone base dial color where the later versions tended more toward a champaign or almost kaki tan color base dial color. I have a later versions one of these but I do like the earlier models a bit better from a dial color standpoint.

PS - Looks like the movement retraining spring is missing from the movement ring.

Reactions: mwadner

·
Craftsman
4,010 Posts
I don't believe the yellow dial versions are faded from orange. I believe it's a different dial.

Those pushers may be original with the edge of the taper just rounded off from being polished. You'll know for sure when you remove them. The aftermarket pushers I've seen take a non oem gasket or sometimes have 2 gaskets instead of 1.

·
Special Member
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 480954
Not my watch. Yet. Maybe.

·
Special Member
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all for your help on this. I'll have a first hand look at the watch shortly :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I do not think it is faded. I believe they made two different dials with a yellow or red dial ring. They also used different hands, depending if the dial has lume dots at the 12 position. The arrow tip hands went with the lume dots. No lume had hands with the black stripe down the middle. I like the champagne dial a lot and it seems to be rarer than the blue dial 0030. I have a very original red ringed 0030 that's currently undergoing restoration/service with my watchmaker. Will post pictures when it's done.
Watch Analog watch Product Azure Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Special Member
3,165 Posts
Hmmm, I always assumed mine was a faded dial. I love the look. You can barely read the Speedtimer text. But this dial is virtually flawless. This one was restored by John so is all correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also think there are yellow and orange dial variant. some of the yellow dialed examples above and on the web do not show much fading on the orange hands.

·
Special Member
2,635 Posts
Would be great if the mystery of the dials will ever be solved. Hands can/do fade different to dials. There can even be a difference in fading of the hands. Can be replaced too… Lot of possibilities. Perhaps we should all go through all the catalogues and keep our eyes wide open.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It may sound ridiculous but given every single example of an NOS condition Seiko that we’ve seen how could there possibly be not one photographic example of this”gold dial with no orange “ variant? I’m genuinely intrigued as I thought it was fading as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My other theory is that they use 2 different kind of orange and one just quickly fade into yellow.

They do seem to use both yellow and orange hands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts