The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
This model has been my go to watch for the last 5 years, but with the bracelet version SSF003J1.

I have always liked the idea and style of the Seiko range of Astrons. They came out in 2012 (Cal:7X52), but were not the first GPS watch that accolade goes to Citizen but there was always a niggling voice in the back of my head that they were too big (first versions were about 48mm and nearly 17mm thick). They were also not cheap at around £1500 to £2000.

Seiko states of this newer calibre:
'Caliber 8X22 is a notable advance in Seiko’s GPS Solar technology. The case is slimmer than any other GPS Solar watch, even slimmer than all other Astron models (the depth is just 12.4mm compared to 13.3mm in the other 8X series). As a result, the antenna that receives the GPS signals is inevitably smaller, but Seiko has managed to increase the processing power of the circuit in the GPS module so that the sensitivity of the antenna is unchanged and the reception of GPS signals is as easy for the world traveller as ever. With just one touch of a button, the new Astron adjusts to the local time in every time zone of the world, with an accuracy of one second every 100,000 years, using just the power of light.'

his new calibre piqued my interest so when I saw it in the Sportura range and a style that I really took to, and a price that didn't seem extortionate I couldn't hold out any longer and bought one from the UK, with a chunk off the RRP £799 (I paid £550)

There are some 8X Astron models that look the same, just with Astron where Sportura logo is.

Here is mySSF003J1;

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Font Watch accessory Clock

The specs include Stainless Steel case and (solid) bracelet, 100m water resistant, Sapphire Crystal, beautiful depth to the dial: case size is 45mm and 13mm thick, just right for my large wrists.

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

Cheers
Derek

·
Special Member
8,941 Posts
I had an early 7x version and I very much thought it was really special. I had it in titanium and it was a pleasure to wear.

My only complaint was that when I went to set the time halfway across the globe from where I live, it took a fair amount of time for it to catch the signal from enough GPS satellites to allow it to set the time. We're talking like 3 to 5 minutes worth of waiting. First world problem, I know!

My hunch is that a new processor would crunch the numbers much faster and the wait
would be much less than it used to be.

If you travel a lot, how can you go wrong? Even if you don't, like they say it lets you set the time incredibly accurate to your home time zone too.

·
Special Member
17,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This model has been my go to watch for the last 5 years, but with the bracelet version SSF003J1.

I have always liked the idea and style of the Seiko range of Astrons. They came out in 2012 (Cal:7X52), but were not the first GPS watch that accolade goes to Citizen but there was always a niggling voice in the back of my head that they were too big (first versions were about 48mm and nearly 17mm thick). They were also not cheap at around £1500 to £2000.

Seiko states of this newer calibre:
'Caliber 8X22 is a notable advance in Seiko’s GPS Solar technology. The case is slimmer than any other GPS Solar watch, even slimmer than all other Astron models (the depth is just 12.4mm compared to 13.3mm in the other 8X series). As a result, the antenna that receives the GPS signals is inevitably smaller, but Seiko has managed to increase the processing power of the circuit in the GPS module so that the sensitivity of the antenna is unchanged and the reception of GPS signals is as easy for the world traveller as ever. With just one touch of a button, the new Astron adjusts to the local time in every time zone of the world, with an accuracy of one second every 100,000 years, using just the power of light.'

his new calibre piqued my interest so when I saw it in the Sportura range and a style that I really took to, and a price that didn't seem extortionate I couldn't hold out any longer and bought one from the UK, with a chunk off the RRP £799 (I paid £550)

There are some 8X Astron models that look the same, just with Astron where Sportura logo is.

Here is mySSF003J1;

View attachment 488913

View attachment 488914

The specs include Stainless Steel case and (solid) bracelet, 100m water resistant, Sapphire Crystal, beautiful depth to the dial: case size is 45mm and 13mm thick, just right for my large wrists.

View attachment 488915

Cheers
Derek
Derek - looks fantastic - I just sprung for one and should have it shortly - paid a very reasonable amount. Looks like a lot of watch for the money. thanks for your write-up and comments!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts