The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how many people out there have a watch in need of a restoration but it is sitting untouched because no one makes the bezel insert or the bezel insert was never sold separate from the bezel by Seiko and has long been discontinued?
I have noticed that there are many older versions of Seiko watches that are great watches but can never be restored to a level that it would look good on your wrist.
I can start naming of some great Seiko's that you can clean up get running put a new band on but will still look horrible because you are stuck with a beat up scratched up bezel insert standing out.
I am amazed that you can buy 100 different types of bezel inserts that fit the 7S26,7002.6309 and 7548 models which is when Seiko seem to settle on the fact that all inserts should be available as a separate item from the bezel and all should be the same size.
There are some fantastic watches that us collectors are forced to make do with scratched up and faded bezels on our prized collection.
I know manufactures will always focus on producing items that fit the greatest number of products. Still with the talent that is out there I am amazed that no one has made any attempt to do anything to make an insert for something like a 7A28-7049 chronograph. Another option that would not cost much to do would be pre cut masks that would allow watch restorers to repaint their work out and faded dials.
This dilemma has been on my mind so much that I am going to see what can be done with printing out pictures of dials on self adhesive paper used for photos or crafts. It still will take a lot of time and patience to cut out the masks by hand with a very sharp blade and it will be beyond the abilities of other but I believe many of us who work on watches would be capable of repainting these faded out dials and bringing that last touch that those certain watches that have been overlooked so far. As soon as I get caught up and a little more organized I am going to give it a try to see what type of results can be achieved. I am also hoping to enlist a good friend who is a graphic artist to perfect the images for printing on inkjet photo printers only. LaserJet toner printers just will not print sharp enough and would be a waste of time. I'll keep you all informed of my progress.

Michael

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
hey i have been long toying with the idea to get a accurate log of nos and like new bezels scanned in and ready to be remade with a 3d printer or a cnc machine...from my research...all we need is someone with the equipment and well all here have the resource that we need to get those very hard to find parts into the right hands...if we all smart..this is something we all can get behind and it will benefit all of us...let me know if i can help....John
I would love to figure out a way to do the same with all those bezel inserts too..there are a few that making incredible inserts that are so very close to originals and i know that many others need to be done too ...

·
Registered
Cognoscente (of 15J quartz chronographs)
1,269 Posts

·
Special Member
1,909 Posts
Just curious as to how many people out there have a watch in need of a restoration but it is sitting untouched because no one makes the bezel insert or the bezel insert was never sold separate from the bezel by Seiko and has long been discontinued?
+1 over here. Been looking for a bezel insert for some old quartz divers for a while now...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am amazed that you weren't aware of Yobokies replacement inserts. :rolleyes:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs...7a28-6217-black-po-sumo-available-950770.html

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7792531?page=3

They've been available for over 12 months.
I don't really keep up with yobokies that much. A lot of what he does is doing some serious modding which is not really my thing. I know the quality of the items he makes are great and I know he does do some replacement stuff. I do whish it was a bit easier to browse through what he has available. I found that he stocked a crystal I wanted only because it came up in a google search and I followed the link. Ordering items is not so straight forward and I could not figure out exactly how. I send an email and he answered and said yes he had them and just place the order.
I spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to pay for the crystal and how to let him know what I was paying for. I finally gave up.

Not to sound conceded but I am perfectly capable of producing a bezel insert myself. I am not looking to start a business I would just be looking to either restore my old bezels or if necessary making a whole new blank insert and paint it. When it comes down to it it is nothing more than a thin piece of aluminum with some paint on it.
I would be more than happy to share the final pattern with anyone who would be interested in trying it also. I have done many projects similar to this just not watch related projects. It's not for everyone. you need a steady hand and a lot of patience. You also need to have experience with an airbrush and how to thin and spray paints to get good results. I have all of these items because I built scale model airplanes for 40 years. I have always enjoyed doing things myself if possible.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never seen a new bezel insert "Painted" Possibly a Picasso ? Usually anodized if aluminum.
That's why the thread topic is called tinkering. Absolutely nothing to lose giving it a try on a faded out bezel. If done properly paint will work just as good as anodized as the anodized does not seem to be all that resistant to either fading or scrapes anyway. I don't see how paint if done properly could not handle the job just as well.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a chance the paint might end up being to thick and then I could see it chipping very easy. That might be why they stick with anodizing. I'm just curious to see. It might come out like crap but if it would be nice if it did work.:)

Michael

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thinner insert with a Hard clearcoat over the paint.... possibly ;)
Another way of tackling it might be to get someone to produce a sheet of water-slide decals (with a separate carrier film for each decal, to save having to trim them) and spray clear lacquer over that. Could give photo-realistic, if possibly fragile, results.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another way of tackling it might be to get someone to produce a sheet of water-slide decals (with a separate carrier film for each decal, to save having to trim them) and spray clear lacquer over that. Could give photo-realistic, if possibly fragile, results.
That was also an idea I wanted to try also. They make a solution for waterslide decals that softens them up dramatically once you have them in place and makes them adhere very well. Some type of clear overcoat would definitely be necessary to protect the decal. Again it all depends on how good the decal decides it wants to stick to the insert. If they do work possibilities would be endless. They make clear decal paper so anything you can draw or design on your computer could be printed onto a decal. If you do not have a good inkjet photo printer in the US Staples and other chain stores have high quality photo printers. You just put your data on a stick. I'm sure they have similar stores in the UK.
My model building experience has made me very knowledgeable about waterslide decals and they have some a long way in quality. If done right when applied to a model they appear to be painted on. Still I think it will come down to the durability of the decal and how good it adheres. All I have to lose is some time and a couple of bucks worth of decal paper.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinner insert with a Hard clearcoat over the paint.... possibly ;)
Absolutely would need some sort of very durable clear coat if it is going to survive at all. The good part about that is you can adjust the amount of gloss you want the final bezel to have. Many seen to have a semi-gloss sheen.

Michael

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Gasp!!
I've used inserts from other brands to finish off watches. Sometimes I've had to file out the inside or file down the outside to get them to fit well too but the results have been much better than an old beat up insert.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gasp!!
I've used inserts from other brands to finish off watches. Sometimes I've had to file out the inside or file down the outside to get them to fit well too but the results have been much better than an old beat up insert.
That's why I am willing to devote some serious time to this idea. The bezel inserts are such a focal point on a watch a beat up one can really ruin the looks of an otherwise nice watch. I'm willing to have a go at it. Maybe it can be done, maybe the results will not look good enough. I don't know but I want to see what my best effort can produce.

Michael

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well innovation is always great..we do need a much better selection for these hard to find models...sadly i bet it is not as profitable...that is why there are not available...hey i am very interested in seeing what you can do..i was thinking how to make this better for you..a small airbrush and very good stencils may give you the look you want....i am sure with a little practice you can exceed even your expectation...if you need any help...let me know...i know i want to see the results

1 - 20 of 32 Posts