The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And darkness fell.

But in the darkness, there was a light...

Ok, ok, I'm just extremely high on life right now, happy with this catch. I'm guessing a couple of you can already guess what this is...

It's an Alba Manta! Always wanted one.... but wait, what's that on the dial!?

That's right boy's and girls. It reads "Limited Edition". Oh yea ;D

Yes, it's a 7s26-driven watch... but so's my Ti Samurai (well, almost 8) ), and I love that watch! This is a great looking watch, and no red on the bezel makes it even better. I picked it up for not quite a song, but quite a bit less that I thought I'd have to pay. Black Manta w/ everything! How could i refuse? ;)

It's got an interesting dial (a real draw for me ;) ) the manta's with a sunburst out of the center. Yea, that's not the flash, that's how it actually looks. Took me a while to realize it; I at first thought it was glare. Kept trying to set the angle just right to get rid of it while taking photos . :p

As I said, came with the bracelet. Good look, though it does seem a bit too 'creaky', I guess, and the lines could've fit the watch a bit better. Still it is a solid bracelet (hollow EL's), and I think I'll keep it on there until I find a nice sturdy leather strap for it.

Everything you'd expect was included in the box I got. A manual, a guarantee card (with the serial number on it too!), and some instructions. Extremely psyched with this! I don't care, I'm wearing it in to work tomorrow! :)

And for some reason, just wanted to include this one.

Thanks for reading, cheers! And that goes doubly for the seller!

AT

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Re: This just in!

Excellent find. I currently own 3 of those Alba Manta Rays (though not your particular model), and love them. IMHO it is easily one of the most under-rated divers in Seiko's stable, and if it said seiko on the dial (ok and maybe if it used other hands), there would be a huge line of folks sporting one. That's cool though, they remain inexpensive and plentiful. Great watches!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

I would say it is roughly between the monster and the samurai in size and most other measures.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Congrats it's a sharp looking dive watch! I really like everything about it black day/date wheel would be smashing ;)

How is the bracelet/clasp?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

jbdan said:
The bracelet is the same on all the manta rays. The only difference being that the blaco one is SP coated. The bracelet is staright 22mm wide and heavy. It's similar to the look of the monster's bracelet (big satin links with polished center sections), but it is held together with regular split pins, instead of pins and collars. The clasp is a friction type butterfly clasp and flip lock. The endcaps are open and designed to fit lower than the lugs, thus matching the lower curve of the case. over all, the fits is very nice.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts

Congratulations!

cooliend said:
And darkness fell.

But in the darkness, there was a light...
Thanks for reading, cheers! And that goes doubly for the seller!

AT

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks guys! :) Wore it to the office today, and it just felt so right! Caught myself just staring at it a few times during the day... hope my boss didn't. ;)

aladin_sane, that picture always blows me away. I'd love to have 1/2 the skill you do(and the backyard!). I'll try a few other pics over the weekend, in some real sunlight!
And TakesALickin, nice mod (AL4015-55 splice?) but with only 400 of these.... :eek: . They really should have made this a regular production piece, just oh-so-nice.

jbdan said:
Isthmus has said just about everything one could say on the bracelet ;) , but I just wanted to add that it's also got a hidden divers extension. Folds out from under the the clasp, on the other side of the flip-lock. Does seem a bit on the thin side to me tho... The links also look like they're oxidizing in the space between, sorta gone a brownish-bronze color. Dunno if it'll affect the rest of the links, or just those unseen bits.

·
Registered
547 Posts

cooliend said:
And TakesALickin, nice mod (AL4015-55 splice?) but with only 400 of these.... :eek: . They really should have made this a regular production piece, just oh-so-nice.
Cooliend, I'm not familiar with the numbers on the two watches I used. I started with a standard black Manta like you got, and a stainless black "wave" dialed Alba. I intermixed parts and bead blasted the stainless case. I kept the one I have pictured above. The other resulting watch I sold to Hector over at PMWF. It looked like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oops! Forgot I had this pic - sorry to hijack the thread. It's just that there aren't that many Alba threads! You have to jump on it when you get the chance! ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks Gabe and cooliend for the info and reference! It's unique looking enjoy your Alba cooli 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts