The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I good customer and his wife came to see me the other week.

Her "baby" - the Rolex that "hasn't been off her wrist" for the last 25 years - when she bought it new now had sea water in it.
She's gone for a swim in at the beach and the crown had been unscrewed:eek:hmy:

If the crown seal had been in good condition it probably would've stopped the water but it wasn't and didn't.

That was over a week before. I wished they'd come to see me straightaway but they're busy people and live at least 50kms away (could've couriered it...).

There was some staining on the edge of the dial....and rust on the edge of the movement. I managed to remove the staining on the edge of the dial at least.

Anyway, I ordered a replacement glass (with seal), stem, dial disc (stained) from Esslinger (such good value:grin:).
I overhauled the movement and buffed/cleaned the case/bracelet.

The problems come with - fitting the mainspring. Fitting them to women's watch barrels is hard enough but this one was a particular pain.

Second - fitting the new glass/seal to the bezel and then the bezel to the case. I tried various ways and carefully used my press (being careful of the date magifier) and I still can't get the prick of a thing on.
This means a trip, cap in hand to my fellow watchmaker to ask him how to do it (and hopefully he's do it for me).
I trust the new parts as being right - its the way Rolex has worked out to make fitting it hard:mad:

There's my vent:undecided:

I said to them I'd have it done in two days time....unlikely now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Paul:
-I found the a set of Watchcraft mainspring winders to be a good investment. For gents sizes Bergeon 7 & 8 are all you need (these work for gents seiko, too). However, the better choice is to get a new mainspring...these are pre-lubed and after servicing the barrel wall with braking grease, you simply press it in. Rolex requires ms replacement at each service interval.
-Aftermarket crystals can vary widely in specification. Acrylics are frequently too slightly to large OD or too thick. The gaskets supplied with sapphire have a lot of variation, as well. I have better luck with CasKer over Esslinger for crystals. But, I have generally found these sapphires to be the best: http://www.krysworks-store.com/ Sometimes a light coat of silicone helps. With diamond bezels, always use a plastic die...preferably one made for Rolex (I like the BB style)...and always check diamond security before cleaning.

Sorry you dislike Rolex...we find them to be among the most service-friendly, especially when using genuine parts...and the resulting output product usually performs as new.

Regards, BG

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BG.
I have a good quality m/spring winder but now I never use it - just do them by hand carefully.

I suppose I could've replace the m/spring but I don't with similar age watches so why replace a Rolex one. It looks fine and worked well.

Thanks for the tip re the glasses. The measurements were correct and I email Esslinger about them.

I got another w/maker to fit it for me and he heated the seal under his light first - which I'd remembered about that. First one I've done though.

I haven't done many Rolexs and I'm happy not to do any more ;-)

Paul

Paul:
-I found the a set of Watchcraft mainspring winders to be a good investment. For gents sizes Bergeon 7 & 8 are all you need (these work for gents seiko, too). However, the better choice is to get a new mainspring...these are pre-lubed and after servicing the barrel wall with braking grease, you simply press it in. Rolex requires ms replacement at each service interval.
-Aftermarket crystals can vary widely in specification. Acrylics are frequently too slightly to large OD or too thick. The gaskets supplied with sapphire have a lot of variation, as well. I have better luck with CasKer over Esslinger for crystals. But, I have generally found these sapphires to be the best: http://www.krysworks-store.com/ Sometimes a light coat of silicone helps. With diamond bezels, always use a plastic die...preferably one made for Rolex (I like the BB style)...and always check diamond security before cleaning.

Sorry you dislike Rolex...we find them to be among the most service-friendly, especially when using genuine parts...and the resulting output product usually performs as new.

Regards, BG

·
Registered
845 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.
I like winders for hygiene..."look mom, no fingerprints or flecks of skin".
I think Rlx simply replaces since it is more cost effective than correctly servicing mainsprings and improves with both hygiene and lubrication...at least that's what they seem to be spinning today...
Best regards, BG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts