1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I didn't realize the Skyhawk AT had 2 batteries. Do all EcoDrives have 2 batteries?

I've been wondering what the module on the Skyhawk looks like. Can't find any pictures on the internet and don't want to open my own. I would have picked up this auction for cheap just to see what the insides look like.

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nhoJ said:
I didn't realize the Skyhawk AT had 2 batteries. Do all EcoDrives have 2 batteries?

I've been wondering what the module on the Skyhawk looks like. Can't find any pictures on the internet and don't want to open my own. I would have picked up this auction for cheap just to see what the insides look like.
Couldn't find anything by Google searches to confirm or deny the existence of 2 battries in the Skyhawk AT. I'm not aware of any Eco-Drives with 2 batteries, but the AT's not in my bailiwick.

One review, though, did mention charging problems with a similar model.

If anyone knows the module number, a Citizen on-line manual that may give the battery specs could possibly be accessed.

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Citizen_Skyhawk_Eco_Drive_JR306059F_Wrist_Watch/content_219714457220

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I have seen the 'second' battery referenced many times.
I believe there is one 'normal' rechargeable battery, and the second is the actual power converter that transfers light into energy. So technically its 1 battery.
Once the eco drive module fails, the battery will not charge, and will die.
It is possible that this is what the person is referring to.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The manual refers to a "secondary" battery. I guess that means there is a primary, but I never saw a reference to a primary battery in the manual.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I think the primary is the actual eco drive system which acts like a battery/charger and stores energy while transferring it to the battery.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The way Time explained it is the way I think it works. It gives the system a measure of redundancy and with that it's harder for the module to be completely out of juice.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
nhoJ said:

Ask and you shall receive: ;)

http://www.citizenwatch.com/downloads/techguides/U600.pdf

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
nhoJ said:
Interesting! I didn't see any pictures of the brains inside, but I will upload into the reference section as the dial and hand setting instructions may be useful to someone in the future.
And did you see the whole section that discusses the procedure for the manual mounting of the hands and the testing of radio controlled sync reception? Cool!!! 8)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
minidriver said:
And did you see the whole section that discusses the procedure for the manual mounting of the hands and the testing of radio controlled sync reception? Cool!!! 8)
Yes I did. I want to nudge my second hand just a smidge and now I am scared to.

I noticed the comments describing a hole for the mechanics of each hand. I suspect this has to do with the calibration of the position of the hand in reference to the internal clock. I wonder if Citizen is using a similar technology to Casio's Tough Movement which uses some kind of LED optics to sense the location of the hand and adjust it to match the reference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts