The Watch Site banner

Thinking of buying a diver....

4K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Katgirl 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I hope you can help here.

I am looking to buy a Seiko dive watch, but have very specific requirements.

1) would like Pepsi bezel, with red section 0-20.
2) crown at 16.00, shielded...
3) blue pref, or black dial
4) not modded.
5) perf auto, not quartz
6) not fussed about day/date, but if day is featured, must have english option.
6) must pass water resistant test

could be any, inc 4205 (37mm)

I have little money (NHS nurse), and i know i could get a Lorus or similar for less money, but would like a Seiko to match my existing watches.

Anyone have any ideas, or stock for sale?

Thanks for looking,

Dave

See less See more
#10 ·
What about Orient? They're owned by Seiko, have SKX-comparable build quality, but sane/reasonable prices. If you can live with a 3 o'clock crown, the Mako II comes in a pepsi at under $150; if you need the 4 o'clock crown and pepsi, the Triton comes in at under $250.

#13 ·
I hope you can help here.
I am looking to buy a Seiko dive watch, but have very specific requirements.
1) would like Pepsi bezel, with red section 0-20.
I have little money (NHS nurse), .....
Dave
We are all throwing out suggestions not knowing your budget. Can you advise where your budget tops out ?

#15 ·
Hi all, great input, many thanks.

To answer some questions

Budget---as close to £200 or less
Selling other watches-- I only have two, my fathers 6139, and my beloved Bellmatic, I want to add to these, and keep the Seiko name.

I will look at prices of the ones suggested.

Many thanks for your input....

Dave

#17 ·
It was clearing out dads house, and finding his 6139-7070 ( may 74) in a draw, and its crown in another draw, that got me into watches. That got me into Seiko, and thus the Bellmatic......

I want to keep marque specific if i can, without breaking the bank.

Dave

#18 ·
I know you posted you would prefer an auto but at 200 gbp you would better served I think with a solar quartz diver, they are great for grab and go simply because they are quartz, this is my current work/beater and it came on the strapcode bracelet I paid $125 usd delivered, it has been a great watch. There are also some new solar tunas that should be almost in your price range new. These are real 200m dive watches and can take it.
Watch Analog watch Azure Clock Wrist

#21 ·
If you can stretch your budget a little, you can still pick up a new SKX009 for £213 from Creation Watches. You'll be hard pushed to find a second hand one on eBay at this price - sellers know that the SKXs are discontinued and are asking daft money.

Creation are a grey market dealer (Singapore, I think?) and I have bought several watches from them (Seiko and Orient). They seem to be the only (reputable) company still with stock (that I can find). Their prices for SKXs are generally increasing - I bought as SKX007J from them and the prices have gone up several times since - for some reason the Pepsi is less popular - strange as I think it's a cracker. I also picked up two used SKXs that were sold by Creation.

I am in no way affiliated with the company!

Your other option for an SKX009 is to wait and watch on eBay and go for a best offer - they do turn up if you are patient (NHS pun intended :ROFLMAO:). Just be careful that the watch is fully original - there are a lot of older watches being given AM bezel inserts and bracelets to "freshen them up" to sell :oops:

My SKXs (the 007, 009 and 011 are all from Creation Watches) say hello :):

#30 ·
Hi again, lots of good advice here, so again many thanks. A word about my choices...Lorus, Orient etc are owned by Seiko, but having inherited my father's 6139-7070, and got into watches, I (oddly) feel marque loyalty, and mechanical loyalty due to my engineering background and appreciation of the skills used in making a good watch. Its like buying into a lifestyle. It gives you some kind of intangible reference point.....

There is another reason for wanting this... I want a watch to wear all the time on holiday, and dont want to take a, for me, expensive, or treasured watch, that might get nicked on the beach.....so you see cost is a thing....watch this space...( no pun intended!)

#32 · (Edited)
Soooo......this landed today and I am very pleased with it. 4205-150V

Not pristine, a couple of light marks, but £86.00 + £5.00 for the strap does very well as I wanted a cheapish watch for holiday, so as not to take one of my lovely expensive ones....

Thanks for all the advice and input, you are all great.

Dave

#33 · (Edited)
Soooo......this landed today and I am very pleased with it. 4205-150V

Not pristine, a couple of light marks, but £86.00 + £5.00 for the strap does very well as I wanted a cheapish watch for holiday, so as not to take one of my lovely expensive ones....

Thanks for all the advice and input, you are all great.

Dave

View attachment 480365
I have an all black version! That particular movement is known for the second hand stutter, which is actually kind of interesting. Don’t wear it in the water! When buying a vintage dive watch, there are no guarantees it’s waterproof. Most of us here only wear our modern divers in water. We baby our vintage divers. Just a thought, since you mentioned taking it on holiday….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.