The Watch Site banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Spencer said:
it's perfectly possible to put it all to the test, if we want to come up with, say, three identical movements in like running condition. Everyone except my mom has an iPhone including me, and I have a timegrapher as well. Easy enough to test. Maybe I'll see what I can figure out this afternoon using one good running movement.

ok, I'll do it as well.
how should we proceed? I mean what conditions should we set to test it?
I know I am going to regret it, *but*, I do have a de magnetizer ;D

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Time said:
ok, I'll do it as well.
how should we proceed? I mean what conditions should we set to test it?
I know I am going to regret it, *but*, I do have a de magnetizer ;D

I have a 7006 that I never wear, never. And like you I have a demagnetizer.

I'd say how about this - get a base reading on the timegrapher. Then put the watch in question on top of the iPhone, watch dial-up, iPhone face down. Call the iPhone and allow to ring through the whole cycle to message. Test the watch.

How's that?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Spencer said:
I have a 7006 that I never wear, never. And like you I have a demagnetizer.

I'd say how about this - get a base reading on the timegrapher. Then put the watch in question on top of the iPhone, watch dial-up, iPhone face down. Call the iPhone and allow to ring through the whole cycle to message. Test the watch.

How's that?

sounds good, but I dont have a timegrapher.
I can report before and after accuracy?
I'll be doing it on an old 7s26

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Time said:
sounds good, but I dont have a timegrapher.
I can report before and after accuracy?
I'll be doing it on an old 7s26

:-\

NO TIMEGRAPHER? ???

I guess a simple 24-hour test would do. 24 hour test period, then another after the phone call. Simple enough.

I can't believe you don't have a timegrapher. For shame! :) They're fantastic fun. Once you get one you will wish you always had one.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Spencer said:
:-\

NO TIMEGRAPHER? ???

I guess a simple 24-hour test would do. 24 hour test period, then another after the phone call. Simple enough.

I can't believe you don't have a timegrapher. For shame! :) They're fantastic fun. Once you get one you will wish you always had one.

well, the whole point for me was to see If I can get away with the cost and use the iphone :-[
ok, I am beginning the test. wish me luck!
;D

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
Good grief! I work in a machine shop. One of them has a magnetic chuck that will hold a piece of steel so tightly that I can't remove it by hand. I wear my watches (SRP029 and 7548-700F) while working with this machine, sometimes with the watch within two or three inches of the actuated magnet. I have never had a watch become magnetized thereby. Iphone? You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
MikeyT said:
Good grief! I work in a machine shop. One of them has a magnetic chuck that will hold a piece of steel so tightly that I can't remove it by hand. I wear my watches (SRP029 and 7548-700F) while working with this machine, sometimes with the watch within two or three inches of the actuated magnet. I have never had a watch become magnetized thereby. Iphone? You're kidding, right?

we'll soon find out. mythbuster style! :))

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Time said:
well, the whole point for me was to see If I can get away with the cost and use the iphone :-[
ok, I am beginning the test. wish me luck!
;D
Isn't there a 'timegrapher' like app for the iPhone?
You could kill two birds with one brick :))

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Pin said:
Isn't there a 'timegrapher' like app for the iPhone?
You could kill two birds with one brick :))

yes, there is, the point is to see if using it would magnetize the watch :D

I fired the first call.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, I tried hooking up the back of a casio watch to an amplifier and it worked.

Heres the setup. I hooked one wire to the steel caseback itself, this is electrically connected to one side of the crystal, another wire to the inside surface of the crystal. This formed the sensor and the 2 leads went in to the amps input. My amp is an old radio shack with a phono input that can be selected to eithier ceramic or magnetic(coil with magnet). It was set to ceramic.
I have a small speaker to the output of course.

I put a watch on the sensor with the casebacks facing each other. I hear lot of 60hz hum as my leads are not shielded but you definitely hear the ticking. Probably a battery powered amp would be the best bet to try.
Regards,
Rob T
Come to think of it, I have a vacuum tube based timer, I havent tried hooking up the homemade sensor to it or the reverse, the actual machine sensor to my amp and see the difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems we're getting there for mechanicals, I'm very happy with the Timegrapher 1000 I got last year for $230 and now it seems to be down to $185...give you amplitued, beat error, drift, what else? Now we need the same for quartz watches!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts