The Watch Site banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cobrajet25 said:
Nope. Seiko Japan was kind enough to send me the instruction manual in PDF form, but it does not list any specs for the mic or the tester. It seems to just use a standard large microphone jack plug. The manual even says that a microphone from other machines will work...I don't think there is anything special about it. I can maybe dig up a drawing of it later. ---A
Any chance you could share that manual? I've been wondering what accuracy it was rated for. I read the QT-2100 went down to 0.001s, a tiny 0.37spy ! I'd settle for 0.01 ;-)

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Hi, I thought the Kello app for iphone was a cool idea, but its been pulled off and back the drawing board. ???
In the creator's blog, he explains. Kudos for him trying to make and perfect a cool little app.
http://watchmakingblog.com/2010/07/11/measure-the-precision-of-mechanical-watches-using-your-iphone/
I sure wish there was an easy cool app, and for free to do this. ;)

Oh well, time will tell.

Cheers, Dave.
If it worked, I'd pay for it.

Based on information in this thread, I'm sure there would be a lot of others who would too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cobrajet25 said:
Nope. Seiko Japan was kind enough to send me the instruction manual in PDF form, but it does not list any specs for the mic or the tester. It seems to just use a standard large microphone jack plug. The manual even says that a microphone from other machines will work...I don't think there is anything special about it. I can maybe dig up a drawing of it later. ---A
Hi Cobra,
I just sent you a PM in hopes you still have the manual for your QT-10 in pdf form.

Derek

·
Registered
227 Posts
I haven't read the entire discussion with all details but I have been intrested in this: http://pczw.uhren-mikl.com/index.php?News which is the device you seem to look for.
Sorry, in German only as far as I can see which is no problem for me.

I have not much difficulties to spend my money on a machine, even expensive, as long as it work perfectly. I am not sure to take the "in computer route" or to just buy a separate timegrapher for more money. I have an older timegrapher form the early 60's but it is a bit outdated, on the 21.600 bph watches it works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
catflem said:
But the guys on TZ-UK aren't at all complimentary about it -

Since it isn´t branded ´Rolex´ that is not much of an indicator ;)

As to the thread I am rather surprised too.
As early as halfway the seventies companies like Zantech produced electronic timing instruments that basically have not seen the same development for availability as the watches they could/can be used for.

The answer is probably very simple; low demand combined with a conflict of industry interest.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
so am I the only one that feels paranoid about having his iphone and a mechanical watch close together? :57:

I dont want to magnetize my watches

·
Administrator
33,742 Posts
The simple answer ?

Get a Timegrapher they really are worth it (cheaper than a iPhone) not only for regulating but showing up other problems as well.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Time said:
so am I the only one that feels paranoid about having his iphone and a mechanical watch close together? :57:

I don´t have an iphone. Not even a remotely modern normal one :) so no, it is not one of my concerns.

Furthermore I am not bothered by the issue as it is wáy less an issue than it was 30 years ago and I also wear wiggly spring controlled watches only for special occasions and they live a sheltered life for the rest of their time. Once regulated they will stay like that untill the next oil change is due.
The modern watch technology is rather less sensitive to stray electro magnetism and/or oil changes.

p.s. the magnetic field needs to rather strong to affect an ´anti magnetic´ wiggly spring, let alone affect it ´permanently´.
Have a look at the DIN specs.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
The simple answer ?

Get a Timegrapher they really are worth it (cheaper than a iPhone) not only for regulating but showing up other problems as well.

well, I already have the iphone :)

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Time said:
well, I already have the iphone :)
The potential problem with iPhones is that they can magnetize a watch - I've seen several threads on Ye Olde Internets talking about this. The Timegrapher is an excellent solution and when it arrives the memory of the cost vanishes. They're absolutely essential for the WIS home laboratory

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Spencer said:
The potential problem with iPhones is that they can magnetize a watch - I've seen several threads on Ye Olde Internets talking about this.

Could you quantify the problem with facts of link to a thread where it is quantified with factual information?

Several of my neighbours claim to have séén culebras (snake) drink milk from goat´s teat yet I doubt that...

I myself have done some hobbying and was both surprised by how much em fields and radiation intrudes in our household ánd by how resistant ´anti magnetic´ wiggly springs are to becoming permanently affected.
I have no quantified data so will not make claims about either apart from expressing serious doubt about an iPhone being able to magnetise a ´modern´ am watch.

According to ISO 764 or its equivalent DIN 8309 (Deutsche Industrie Norm - German Industry Norm) a watch must resist exposition to a direct current magnetic field of 4 800]A/m.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HomoCaballus said:
Could you quantify the problem with facts of link to a thread where it is quantified with factual information?

Several of my neighbours claim to have séén culebras (snake) drink milk from goat´s teat yet I doubt that...

I myself have done some hobbying and was both surprised by how much em fields and radiation intrudes in our household ánd by how resistant ´anti magnetic´ wiggly springs are to becoming permanently affected.
I have no quantified data so will not make claims about either apart from expressing serious doubt about an iPhone being able to magnetise a ´modern´ am watch.

According to ISO 764 or its equivalent DIN 8309 (Deutsche Industrie Norm - German Industry Norm) a watch must resist exposition to a direct currentmagnetic field of 4 800]A/m.

*shrugs*

Unless I feel like taking a movement and putting it in the field of an iPhone for repeated tests, no. All I have is the "evidence" (such as it is) of some guy on WUS saying "my watch started gaining five minutes a day after I put it on my iPhone".

I mean, one could do a series of tests with an iPhone and donor movements that have a known stable accuracy rate - put them on the iPhone and call it up a few times or something, and then see if they're magnetized. That'd be an interesting thing because I've actually been worrying about it and keeping my iPhone away from my watches.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Stony said:
I started to develop my own timer some time ago now, soundcard based.
I used a piezo element and clamped it on a watch using a (insulated!!) paperclip. Signal level was way too low for the soundcard, so I added a opamp based amplifier.

I did manage to record the beats. Simple analysis can be done in audio software.
I programmed some analysis (offline however) and could automatically detect beats and do some simple filtering. THat did give good results, but there were always some beats that spoiled the beat calculatoin
There I realised I had a long way to go before getting stable calculation results...

At that time Noah offered some cheap timer, and since I would rather spend my time on watches instead of programming I bougth the timer from Noah.

Later I found software called "BIBURO" a free timer. Cant find it on the web anymore....

biburo can be found here: http://tokeiyade.michikusa.jp/download/

the main issue is the amplifier... I personnaly can't understand electronics and build one myself... however there seems to be a lot available on ebay so maybe someone here could point to auctions for some... also please help!!! I believe for the piezo, an acoutic guitar pickup is OK (I have one and can record watches but signal is way too low for biburo).

@Stony: can you please describe/detail the amp you used?

regards

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
better safe than sorry. I also keep a distance between my iphone and watches, especially vintage mechanicals.

so, snakes drinking milk from goats? strange neighbors :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Time said:

I'm pretty sure that's how my Mk. II Blackwater MMT got magnetized. It went from being nearly quartz accurate to gaining over a minute a day after being carelessly placed next to an iPhone.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Spencer said:
All I have is the "evidence" (such as it is) of some guy on WUS saying "my watch started gaining five minutes a day after I put it on my iPhone".

...and that is how urban legend starts indestructable life.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
HomoCaballus said:
...and that is how urban legend starts indestructable life.

it's perfectly possible to put it all to the test, if we want to come up with, say, three identical movements in like running condition. Everyone except my mom has an iPhone including me, and I have a timegrapher as well. Easy enough to test. Maybe I'll see what I can figure out this afternoon using one good running movement.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts