The Watch Site banner

The world only needs five computers

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  martback 
#1 ·
was said to be a statement from a computer guru in the 50s and is often used as an example of the risk of making precise statements about the future. I found a the quote belowsimilarily lacking in understanding of the situation in one of my old posts from 2007. I could not have had more than 100-150 Seikos at that time. 400 Seikos later, I am still waiting for the whisky and cigars (but the women seem less likely with each additional Seiko).

This is what I wrote and I am sure that a lot of you have thought the same thing. I can assure you that you are wrong.

"I really have no attainable watches left on my list, except a few 0-rated (meaning that they are expected to come up on ebay or Yahoo Japan less than once a year so it would just be pure chance finding one of those). I have also bought an extra watchbox for the last 50 watches so they do not have to be in a pile on my desk. Should I just retire and spend the rest of my watchbudget on whisky and cigars while wearing multiple watches and looking out on the magnificent herds of wildebeest passing on the savannah outside. I have also heard of this thing called women which might provide a distraction in times of boredom."

/ martin

See less See more
#4 ·
markmills said:
Martin,

Like nhoJ Im interested to learn more about what drives your quest, but more specifically about your rating system, can you elaborate?

Mark
The rating system is much less elaborate than it looks and exists only in the back of my head. I try to keep track of most of the collectable Seiko watches that come up on the Japanese auctions even if I am not looking to purchase a specific one. They essentially get sorted into 0 (means buy if you see it as it might never come up for sale again), 1 (consider buying even if expensive because it could be six months before another one comes buy), and 2 (buy only if you are OK with price as there will be another in a month).

/ martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.