The Watch Site banner

101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well, I suppose if he's saying "this is what I will pay" then it's likely to be lower than market. Any time you have a valuation guide - like a motor vehicles valuation book, such as Glass's Guide in the UK - how you interpret the results depends on where you are in the buying/selling cycle. If I went to sell my car to a trader and pointed at the trade buy price according to Glass, they'd always try to talk it down. If I went to buy a car and pointed to the trade sell price in Glass, they'd always tell me that the prices in the guide are too low...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes the Spect sheet was a buyers guide, listing what would basically be considered wholesale or "cash value", if you "had" to sell today that is what you could expect. It is not the price the guy at the end of the rainbow might pay for his grail watch and it should be more or less about half of that. I am of the opinion that "a well advertised" auction's results are also a type of "cash value" but these days via internet they tend to have more "buyers" in the mix and every now and then the guy at the end of the rainbow can step in and throw a wrench as it were by paying full retail plus, but that usually only applies to items with no condition issues at all. Or in cases with exceptional rarity combined with high levels of desirability, hence Paul Newman's personal Daytona.

101 - 102 of 102 Posts