The Watch Site banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for putting the guide together and in advance for the ongoing updates.

I was looking to purchase one of the harder to come by references and did my obligatory research and found the pricing to be quite varied. Being able to reference back to your guide helped narrow the price range down.

Are there any plans to also include an assessment guide similar to what's available on Speedmaster101? It provides a lot of information under the one roof in a very easy to search manner.

I have studied a few buying guides available online and have thought it would be nice to have some high resolution pictures to go along with the commentary. This would be best done with watches in hand as there are so many small variances of shape, size and colour which cannot be seen on regular pictures or only at certain angles.

I understand this would be a huge undertaking and not for the faint-hearted.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Any plans to add Tuna incl Anadigi into the guide? I'd be happy to assist.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,487 Posts
Personally I think it is useful to have a reference point to check for valuations even though I imagine the variants will be massive.

When it comes to values there are just so many things to look at.

Condition and rating, if for example we used the percentage method one mans 90% would be another mans 85% or 92%, nightmare :)

Price, for a start we don't see the deals being done in private and not on any of the forums or auction sites, these could be massively over the norm or cash bargains but whatever we will never know.

It would be interesting to pick say five watches (could be any mix of watches), 6159 (1968), 6105 (1972), 6309 (1979), 6139-6000 (1969), 5718 (1964) and have ten experienced Seiko collectors in a room and each put a sealed value of each watch without any collaboration and also there view of the condition.

Then I suppose you have to take into consideration the age of the collector and also the disposable income they have for the "frivolity" of collecting watches :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's quite a list you got there. Props to collating all that information!

Have ya'll thought of including a KS / GS section for the spreadsheet? I think it would be a great addition to list :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That's quite a list you got there. Props to collating all that information!

Have ya'll thought of including a KS / GS section for the spreadsheet? I think it would be a great addition to list :)
I suppose anything is welcome, but widening to include KS and GS might just open a huge can of worms :p :grin:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Here is the 6139-6005 histogram - it seems right to me meaning proper pricing not all hyped up and reflecting who knows what conditions:
The problem is you dont know the condition of the watch. Many of the pogues sold are of course fake/aftermarket ones or not great condition. Decent ones dont hit the market that often. Any decent pogue is worth more than this "market value" of 400$

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just stumbled upon a web site www.watchcharts.com that compiles public sale values.

Agreed with Gerald and others, the all-important private sales are not shown.

Here is the 6139-6005 histogram - it seems right to me meaning proper pricing not all hyped up and reflecting who knows what conditions:

https://watchcharts.com/watch/708/overview
Don't agree with the chart considering it doesn't distinguish between the various 6139-6005 variations. Id say the $400-500 range is for an average to below average yellow Pogues sold on ebay. So say I bought a yellow Pogue for $450 and now I need to replace the crystal, gaskets, overhaul, cleanup, parts replacement. That's additional $300, surely I can't expect to follow this chart if I ever decided to sell.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
As an active 6139 collector I should find all of my recent bay purchases and I’ll list them. These will be all original but in need of service watches. I believe the range is from $350 to $500 with $500 being the “normal” with the most recent pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Don't agree with the chart considering it doesn't distinguish between the various 6139-6005 variations. Id say the $400-500 range is for an average to below average yellow Pogues sold on ebay. So say I bought a yellow Pogue for $450 and now I need to replace the crystal, gaskets, overhaul, cleanup, parts replacement. That's additional $300, surely I can't expect to follow this chart if I ever decided to sell.

Well remember this my friend
Just because you invested this much
Does not mean it is worth that much
I just recently bought a beautiful original untouched 6139 6005 for less than you can buy a Seiko SNK new from one of our favorite sites ...
It was a outlier and what made me shocked when I won it ...
It had sold for a much higher price and original buyer never paid so it was relisted and I won it
These ranges I think only track selling prices ...
it does not include actual invested priced like parts and service
That is why so many people do not realize how expensive things are
I have had too many people offer low prices when I sell something I know i priced low to start
We both know with watches it is learned about these hidden costs
And with all of the aftermarket filled watches that are flooding the market drive the prices of genuine even higher
We will see the fake parts industry try even harder to get a bigger piece of the pie
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,487 Posts
I just recently bought a beautiful original untouched 6139 6005 for less than you can buy a Seiko SNK new from one of our favorite sites ...
It had sold for a much higher price and original buyer never paid so it was relisted and I won it

I have had too many people offer low prices when I sell something I know i priced low to start
And with all of the aftermarket filled watches that are flooding the market drive the prices of genuine even higher
We will see the fake parts industry try even harder to get a bigger piece of the pie
God Bless,John

But when you sell it John what price will you ask then ? what you paid or.......?

·
Registered
911 Posts
God Bless,John

To be fair John I have seen particular watches sell for 20-35% higher than average when it is advertised as being serviced by well known professionals. This is not only asking but sold prices which is true on ebay, IG and the forums.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
But when you sell it John what price will you ask then ? what you paid or.......?
Well what I paid for it is irrelevant
If i bought it for a dollar or a thousand
It matters not at all
You sell it for what the market bears
And if u paid too much that is your loss
We all know that
God Bless,John

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
To be fair John I have seen particular watches sell for 20-35% higher than average when it is advertised as being serviced by well known professionals. This is not only asking but sold prices which is true on ebay, IG and the forums.

I agree good service work will add value as long as genuine or the best aftermarket parts are used and only from a select group of people
Too many times we all have seen Service work that is done so poorly it has to be redone or damages the watch
Too many people think these watches are hard investments like Gold and Silver
These are not that stable and people should realize this
God Bless,John

·
Administrator
28,487 Posts
Well what I paid for it is irrelevant
If i bought it for a dollar or a thousand
It matters not at all
You sell it for what the market bears
And if u paid too much that is your loss
We all know that
God Bless,John

But it can skew the above charts when a watch is sold for say $100 by a unknowing seller and the same week the knowledgeable buyer sells it on for $600 or what ever.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks guys

Most of us oldtimers have extensive lists of prices, conditions etc from scrolling through too many auctions so we can (obviously) have very different and still correct opinions on market prices.

I would however loved to have a list like this during my first years of collecting to get a quick overview of variants and prices to avoid buying anything vastly overpriced from the Philippines or selling something far below market or getting angry emails on the watch sales forums for not knowing how much to ask for a watch.

Thanks for the effort.

- martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Surely we should be putting the lowest possible prices we can find in the guide, rather than the prices that people who are piling into watches as “investments” and who just want to buy a watch right away rather than waiting for an affordable one as collectors usually do are paying? Otherwise we’re just feeding into driving prices higher into ever-more-unaffordable territory, rather than trying to keep them the same.
Well said!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
I think it's worth reiterating that the Price Guide started as an effort by Jim & I to document what we think the market prices are for a variety of references - and the arbiter of that is, what would I/we be prepared to pay for them? I think it's near impossible to come up with any kind of predictive market guide (like a book price for used cars) without a huge amount of data that just isn't available - we'd need to be tracking at least hundreds of trades to be truly "accurate", so we have to rely on a mix of experience and gut feel.

... and at the end of the day, if anyone feels that the price guide listing for a particular watch is too high, then that's fine - but if Jim or I are in the market at the same time as a watch comes up for sale at a lower price, then expect us to buy it :)

61 - 80 of 85 Posts