The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Somewhat inspired by the excellent Speedmaster101 , Jim W and I have been working on documenting what we think are expected values for a variety of vintage Seikos.

It's by no means complete, it's by no means a byword in accuracy, but as Bart Simpson says, My Bubble, My Rules.

We've assessed watches on 5 conditions, from Poor to NOS, but only price estimated Running, Good and Collector. Prices are in USD and for head only, even though you wouldn't have a Collector or NOS watch without a corresponding bracelet (say). There are many variables but we think this is a good starting point for assessment.

We'd love to hear your feedback and thoughts...

See here.

Ewan & Jim

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Thanks for putting this together. From what I have experienced and seen it is an excellent guide. Extremely thorough and well analyzed. I think it will be fun to revisit the Vintage Seiko Valuation Guide 10 years from now.

Thank You Gentlemen!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Wow, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Neat. I'm curious what your data is to derive these values, and how it might change over time. I have used this tool recently https://watchcharts.com/ and like that it shows the data points, but get frustrated at the lack of the vintage angle that you have adopted.

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is great, thanks for taking the time to put it together. It's also a reality check on how crazily the prices have climbed of late, especially on the high-end stuff. I think your numbers are generally right, but in my collection spreadsheet I valued my collector-grade silver proof -6000 at $650 with original chiclet bracelet, and my collector-grade Daini 62mas at $1500. And I'm sure I already upped those estimates in the past couple years at least once!

·
Administrator
28,478 Posts
This is great, thanks for taking the time to put it together. It's also a reality check on how crazily the prices have climbed of late, especially on the high-end stuff. I think your numbers are generally right, but in my collection spreadsheet I valued my collector-grade silver proof -6000 at $650 with original chiclet bracelet, and my collector-grade Daini 62mas at $1500. And I'm sure I already upped those estimates in the past couple years at least once!
I will give you 50% above that Brian !! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
US$ Prices - bigger supply and market for most models

I would say UK £prices may be sightly higher with less watches for sale

OK UK buyers could import from the States, but many would not want to do that

·
Registered
55 Posts

I think it evens out with easy access to mailand Europe (I will always consider the UK to be part of Europe) and the middle east. The UK market is really weird, scaling from outright cons to nieve seller goldmines. Europe from my experience seems to be a more level market. The stars of my collection come mostly from Spain, France and Italy.

Great work BTW guys.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

It was necessary to base this guide on US Dollar values. There are members on this forum from around the world, and everyone understands US Dollars as the base currency for collectors. Ewan and I are UK based, but we search the planet for the watches we want. I have bought watches from UK. USA, Australia, EU, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Russia, South America, Africa, etc.... wherever they may be. I will often pay a lot more for a watch I particularly want, and less for one I don’t.

We have prepared this guide from our own experiences, excluding personal preferences and silly eBay asking prices. It is just a guide though. It’s good to get feedback from the forum and hopefully continue to develop it further.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whilst the models listed here are not in my area of expertise, I do see lots of them sell when looking for vintage GS.

Certainly for the divers, I think the figures are significantly below market prices. I've seen multiple 6215's sell for over $10k over the last year, Suwa 6217-8001's for over $5K, a small crown NOS 6217 go for close to $8k, etc etc.

Hodinkee sold an average 6217-8000 for $4,500 recently.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Whilst the models listed here are not in my area of expertise, I do see lots of them sell when looking for vintage GS.

Certainly for the divers, I think the figures are significantly below market prices. I've seen multiple 6215's sell for over $10k over the last year, Suwa 6217-8001's for over $5K, a small crown NOS 6217 go for close to $8k, etc etc.

Hodinkee sold an average 6217-8000 for $4,500 recently.
These are just examples of hyped up asking prices. I think very few buyers are paying that kind of money. It's difficult to be precise, particularly on 6215's. They so rarely turn up for auction, but I can imagine fine examples easily clearing $10k.

In reality, 6139 Pogues, 6105 and 62mas divers are not rare watches, at any time there are plenty available, often in poor to average condition.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
62mas has actually dropped quite a bit the past years

$ = € = £ usually. With the current exchange rates a wach selling in the states for 500$ will probably be just 500 euro's over here with everything being more expensive here due to taxes.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts