The Watch Site banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Another Link to WISdom............
I mounted up the bracelet and have worn it for a couple of days. I would have to say it is as comparable in comfort as an original. I will note that the end links don't fit as flush as I would like but only a persnickety WISer like us would notice and in the scheme of things not a deal breaker for me. I still feel the price is about twice what the bracelet is worth but hopefully prices will drop due to lack of sales at the current price level. Time will tell...........:)

When it comes to removing links it's such a tight fit that you'll almost need a pair of link removing pliers. A spring bar tool is just not stout enough.

Now to link interchangeability: The issue with the incompatibility is the aftermarket link will insert in the Original link but the original link will not insert correctly in the Aftermarket link due to the inner links being too wide.

Aftermarket link on left, Original on right:

Original Link on left, Aftermarket on right:

As you can see in this photo the fit is tight and you're unable to re-insert the link clip. This is where, with a little Tweaking, by filing down the connecting links, you could probably make it work......:)

As you can see in this photo the link clips are very similar but the finish is a little rougher on the Aftermarket clip. I discovered smoothing out the finish with 1500 grit sand paper did help and made it easier to re-install them.
Aftermarket on top, Original on bottom:

Hopefully, now that you're all "Linked up", you'll be able to tell the difference between and Aftermarket bracelet and an Original bracelet. This should help everyone decide on which route to take when pursuing one of these bracelets or to distinguish what's what when purchasing one of these Speedtimer bracelets .............:)

Terrific work and the gold dial JDM is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,680 Posts
Tom,

Thank You for all your hard work and giving us such a great first hand look at the new reproduction Speedtimer Bracelet. Truly Exceptional. I believe that anyone looking at a Vintage Original or new reproduction Speedtimer Bracelet is now fully equipped with the knowledge needed so that each person can make the decision that is Right for Them.

We now know what we are looking at, what to expect, and what to look out for :)

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I haven't noticed it mentioned anywhere, what is the asking price for the reproduction one?

They started out at $175 then rose to $185. A second seller had some for $195 and now a third seller has come on board in the same price range.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tom,

Thank You for all your hard work and giving us such a great first hand look at the new reproduction Speedtimer Bracelet. Truly Exceptional. I believe that anyone looking at a Vintage Original or new reproduction Speedtimer Bracelet is now fully equipped with the knowledge needed so that each person can make the decision that is Right for Them.

We now know what we are looking at, what to expect, and what to look out for :)

Thanks Again!

You're welcome Kyle!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Special Member
2,680 Posts
Spent some more time looking at your photos of the new repro Speedtimer Bracelets. Like you mentioned the End Links just don't look like they fit flush :eek:hmy: From various photos I have seen of Original Speedtimer Bracelets many Original End Links also look slightly skewed and they also do not look like they fit flush? Is the slightly skewed fit of the End Links common with the Speedtimer Bracelets?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
......From various photos I have seen of Original Speedtimer Bracelets many Original End Links also look slightly skewed and they also do not look like they fit flush? Is the slightly skewed fit of the End Links common with the Speedtimer Bracelets?

In my experience over maybe 4 or 5 overs the years I would say yes. Even the NOS one I show above has a less than perfect flush fit.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
In my experience very few endlinks made for or by Seiko will fit flush as they should right out of the wrapper.

I have learned that it takes someone with skill to bend and file the metal into conformity with the lugs. I use the services of four different experienced jewlers and watchmakers, but only one of them, Carlos, has the magic touch.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my experience over maybe 4 or 5 overs the years I would say yes. Even the NOS one I show above has a less than perfect flush fit.
+1. I currently have six 6139-60XX models with the correct original bracelet and not one has flush endlinks, including one or two with the sizing stickers still on the clasp. The 6139-600X h-links seem to be a little better across the board, even if a little off... no clue why.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In my experience very few endlinks made for or by Seiko will fit flush as they should right out of the wrapper.

I have learned that it takes someone with skill to bend and file the metal into conformity with the lugs. I use the services of four different experienced jewlers and watchmakers, but only one of them, Carlos, has the magic touch.
Yes, with a bit of patience, this is the way to get a perfect fit...I've done this myself with good results!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It has always surprised me that a fake watch is not done but most people are fine with fake bracelets or straps.
Lets not call it a fake. it is only fake if the seller tries to deceive others and markets it as a legit original part. It is a well made reproduction bracelet of the original. Nothing different here than what they do for vintage cars and trucks. Modern parts are marketed as aftermarket reproduction.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Lots of Work Tom Great Writeup. I recently bought a 6139-6001 that came with a Stelux Jubilee So far it is the Most Comfy Yet.I love the Weight of it especial .

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts