The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Yen is trading today at 94 for USD $1 :p

Just 3-4 weeks ago the yen was trading at 88-89 JPY for one US greenback.

This means, today you can order a new Seiko SARB033 for around USD $380 or a SARB021/23/45 or even a SUMO for well under USD $500.

Do you guys think the Yen will reach the 100 mark by the summer? 8)

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is great news. Hopefully the dollar keeps going up and then these JDM watches can be easier on the wallet!

·
Registered
534 Posts
good news for you guys there, but here in Japan all watch prices have gone up! hahaha! I'm sticking to find the good vintage used ones! :p

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
UpstandingCitizen said:
This is good news. I'm still wondering about and looking forward to that new Prospex diver line (SBDYxxx).
A new Prospex line? :eek: Could you elaborate a bit more on that? That interests me a LOT....

·
Registered
68 Posts
thianwong said:
good news for you guys there, but here in Japan all watch prices have gone up! hahaha! I'm sticking to find the good vintage used ones! :p

But if the local Japanese price are going up, then it wont matter because the USD price will go up as well.
:'(

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Chris said:
A new Prospex line? :eek: Could you elaborate a bit more on that? That interests me a LOT....
I believe it was discussed in one of Chino's blogs. Here's what I was able to dig up:

"Prospex Mechanical, SBDY003 (MSRP 52.500 JPY), SBDY001 (47.250 JPY) both with movement 4R35, in August"

August is still a little ways away, but it's still something to look forward to. ;D

·
Registered
534 Posts
True, but at least in the USA, capitalism reigns supreme and one can find huge discounts in the Coscos and Walmarts etc. Japanese usually never discount suchly! From reports, the USA economy is inproving! Car sales up, more jobs now etc....same actually here in Japan. The car companies report record sales! But still watch prices (new and even used watch prices) have increased over the last 3 years since the latest watch trend began again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I remember when it was 135 Yen to the US Dollar. Heck, I remember when it was US$0.80 to the Euro! Those were good buying days back then. Will we ever see such rates again? Probably not anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Ombudsman said:
I remember when it was 135 Yen to the US Dollar. Heck, I remember when it was US$0.80 to the Euro! Those were good buying days back then. Will we ever see such rates again? Probably not anytime soon.
As I said before, but not so good for those of us not in the US.. When your dollar is high our cost of buying a watch skyrockets.. So it really depends on what side of the fence you are on..

·
Registered
24 Posts
thianwong said:
True, but at least in the USA, capitalism reigns supreme and one can find huge discounts in the Coscos and Walmarts etc. Japanese usually never discount suchly! From reports, the USA economy is inproving! Car sales up, more jobs now etc....same actually here in Japan. The car companies report record sales! But still watch prices (new and even used watch prices) have increased over the last 3 years since the latest watch trend began again!
Unfortunately, for those of us here in the USA, we're still waiting for the uptick in our economy, contrary to what is being told to us! Things are still rough, and we're weathering out this economic storm as best as we can.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, it is always good to hear from ground level sources.....Here, from local area growth/commercial activities, the Japanese economy seems still going strong. But, having read recently from a Japanese economics professor who had predicted the 80s bubble economy bust, predicts that Japan's HUGE debt load will soon hit Japan, if the government ignores such indications......time will tell! I better grab all the good vintage stuff around me then! haha!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts