The Watch Site banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
A nicely designed watch for many, but how come..."one thing that surprises me is the lack of appreciation for the Jumbo",..."I have no idea why Jumbo prices aren’t keeping pace with other 6138s",...maybe because it's one of those under the "acquired taste" category as in - "I haven‘t been a fan of the Jumbo till I saw one for real one day" - so the demand for it has not built up as fast as the demand for its cousins...but I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You are right and I think we will also see a rise in prices for the Jumbo over the next years. IG and other social media will shed some more light on the neglected vintage models like the Jumbo and more wis will want one of these... What’s not to like on a Seiko like this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are right and I think we will also see a rise in prices for the Jumbo over the next years. IG and other social media will shed some more light on the neglected vintage models like the Jumbo and more wis will want one of these... What’s not to like on a Seiko like this?
That's a cracker! I now need to find a petrol dial (mine is black).

·
Registered
60 Posts
The early versions use the one-piece bezel/crystal (365V02GNS). They’re still available NOS — I have bought a couple of them — though you have to hunt a bit to find one.
Four or five years ago, I bought my 3005. At the time, I didn't know the subtle differences between the 300X series. My watch came with a plastic crystal. It runs fine so I wasn't motivated to have it serviced and have the crystal replaced. I did buy one of the NOS 365V02GNS crystals only to discover it would not work for my watch. The correct crystal is indeed very difficult to find. I did buy one of the replacement crystals from WatchfanUK. It's very nice but not as thick as the original. When I do have the watch serviced, I will use the aftermarket crystal but it would be nice to find a NOS crystal for my watch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought my 6138-3002 black dial Jumbo about a year ago and at that time there were quite a lot of Jumbos, both black and petrol dials, on eBay.

I've noticed that over the last six or so months that there have been considerably less Jumbos doe sale, and very few petrol dials.

It seems (genuine non fake/franken) Seiko availabilty is lower, and prices higher, across the range of models - including the Jumbo. I realise this is a completely unscientific and lacking in hard data statement!

·
Poet Laureate
862 Posts
I had one but sold it. It's not a bad looking watch by any means, it just felt uninteresting to me, and I couldn't get excited about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got it on my hand right now, and just the other day I was thinking how unlike many of the vintage Seikos out there, Jumbos are most of the time in really good shape, rarely beat up like many 6139/6138 are. I wonder if they been treated better or just worn less...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I keep seeing a couple around in my watch district sellers' cabinets, but I don't know enough to pick out the good ones. Maybe I'll meander over with this thread bookmarked as a reference. I have picked and chosen my Seiko chrono preferences carefully over the past year, sticking with certain 6139 case styles, but maybe a jumbo could work its way in.

Reactions: ewand and SennieG

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I nearly picked a blue-dial one up at a watch fair a while back for not a lot of money (£250 IIRC) but walked away because the case had been over-polished. If you keep an eye out for the crisp lines as shown above, then you won't go wrong...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Enjoyed the Jumbo when I had one for a while, but ultimately passed it on eventually. Glad there are still fans out there (if we all liked the same things, life would be dull).

I was well aware of the large size, but felt it was also very tall. Its thin, tapered bracelet left it feeling a little unbalanced and heavy on the wrist.

Still an excellent design.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts