The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Seiko chronograph prices seem to be on the ever-upward (something @Jim W and I discussed as we're planning a bit of a refresh on our valuation guide, which has some big gaps as well as needing some price adjustments), one thing that surprises me is the lack of appreciation for the Jumbo (ie Seiko 6138-300x). While Pandas will often change hands for $1500 and Kakumes regularly crack the $1000, the poor old Jumbo seems to languish at the bottom of the heap of 6138s. Why?

I love the size and heft of it, and the fact the dial fills the whole case does make it look bigger than it is.

Looking at recent sales posts, they seem to change hands for £400 / $500 territory, though usually will need a bit of work and seem to often come on replacement bracelets.
I was watching one in an auction that finished yesterday:

... and thought it looked like it could be worth a punt, but the auctioneer described it (on application) as:

"Upon initial inspection, there are certainly issues to the watch, it does tick but for a very short period of time, will need some form of attention, the reset feature isn't in full working condition."

Still, it hammered at £300 (I had a low-ball punt but decided that it could be another expensive paperweight if I wasn't lucky), so that would make it about £400 in hand, and disposal of the ladies' piece on the 'bay might get back £30 or £40 of that, so not outrageous - but then factor in needing maybe £250 or who knows what spending on it, to get it running properly... Still, £600-650 all in for a nice original looking watch on the right bracelet, and with box & papers... you can't really go wrong with that, can you?

Did anyone here swoop on t?

Inspired by the thread on

and more recently, the discussion on the bracelet at

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve just picked one of these up myself, very taken with it and a bargain compared to the price of 6139s these days. I think it’s one of seikos best ever designs.

Was lucky to scoop a nice original one with the original bracelet. I may make a separate post about this watch, a review of sorts. It makes a great pair with my -6002.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Absolutely love the jumbo, my first 6138 and I still think it is one of the best of the 6138.
it really has to be appreciated in person though, since most picture just tend to focus on the “jumbo” dial and lose all other details.

i always thought the Panda was going to be my favorite 6138 but when you compare it with jumbo it is obvious the jumbo is supposed to be the flagship. The bracelet are high quality, no folded outer links. The crystal is V-bonded type and case showcase the bezel nicely. The dial seems simple but the 4 step dial is fantastic. And if you don’t think it is rare enough there is always the petrol blue version or even the 23 jewel JDM.

Best part of all us of of course how under appreciated they are and you can pick nice example on the cheaper end of all other 6138s.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I really like these too and despite now owning over two dozen Seiko chronographs (embarrassing) I don’t have one. They are very modern in design and execution. The Jumbo reminds me of something that Hamilton or Tissot might have produced years ago, there is a similar very attractive grammar. The price on this one is very reasonable too like was stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
They are very nice and agree that for some reason they appear to be under appreciated. I'd like to add one to the collection before the prices on these start following a similar trend to some of the other 6138's

·
Registered
561 Posts
Great post, Ewan.

The first thread you linked to is John’s restoration of my 6138-3009. That watch usually sits on my desk and is one of the ones I will pick up and put on my wrist for absolutely no reason. The lines — especially the case line as viewed from the non-crown side — are classic vintage Seiko. Recently I was fortunate to pick up a second Jumbo with the petrol blue dial to complement the black dialed -3009 that John restored.

I have no idea why Jumbo prices aren’t keeping pace with other 6138s. It used to be that you could buy a pretty nice UFO for lunch money, but they have shot up quite a bit. It still seems like you can get a good Jumbo for $500 or so, or even a bit less if you get lucky. I can’t imagine it will stay that way.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I Love the Jumbo. Its such a timeless, minimalistic design. Looks modern still today. In my eye probably one of the most sold 6138 of the entire lineup. Maybe thats the reason.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 Lite mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I haven‘t been a fan of the Jumbo till I saw one for real one day. Holy Cow, I was smitten by the beauty of this watch. The dial (the oily one) the case, the proportion - an absolute stunner. Totally agree that it still looks modern by today standards. I was asking myself why this model is so underrated. With all the Pogue Madness there are some chrono models that get neglected by the „scene“, the Jumbo is one of them.

·
Special Member
4,766 Posts
Agree, under appreciated definitely. Beautiful design, contemporary looks even by today’s standards which may be why is often overlooked by those looking for vintage look, vibe.
I have the 6138-3000 with Roman day wheel and the larger case which has the lug bevel extending through the case side. The one piece crystal/bezel is also different than the variants in between itself and the -3009 like the one John worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Its a tad too big for me. And the crystals are an issue with these as they use the bonded type crystals. WIth an example like in the OP its really hard to sort out the crystal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Its a tad too big for me. And the crystals are an issue with these as they use the bonded type crystals. WIth an example like in the OP its really hard to sort out the crystal.
The early versions use the one-piece bezel/crystal (365V02GNS). They’re still available NOS — I have bought a couple of them — though you have to hunt a bit to find one.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The early versions use the one-piece bezel/crystal (365V02GNS). They’re still available NOS — I have bought a couple of them — though you have to hunt a bit to find one.
Yes they are findable but will be a lot more expensive than the cheaper options you have with different 6138's. It will cost a significant amount compared to the lower value of the watch. For a much more expensive Panda an AM crystal can be had for 10$. Something to keep in the back of your mind when you purchase a Jumbo.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Oh dear, another one for me to keep an eye out for!!! I've seen them around and really like the minimalist design, almost Bauhaus. I know the Panda is the star of 61838s, but I prefer this one to the Panda.

·
Registered
72 Posts
These are great watches, and one of my favourites in my collection. I was unable to locate a NOS crystal for my watch and I had to go AM.

It's one watch that when I wear it to work, everyone comments positively on. It has a very modern look and doesn't feel like wearing a brick on your wrist despite the (apparent) size 😁

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 3000/3009 use 365V02GNS which has integrated bezel and inner gasket and hard to replace with aftermarket since the crystal is sandwiched between the bezel and metal ring with o ring for sealing.

Th 3002 use 365V06GNS and has bonded crystal to the metal ring and use external bezel. It’s easy to replace with aftermarket if you follow this method. If you use Seiko crystal adhesive it is practically indistinguishable with oem new crystal. Both use same crystal dimension IMO.

The clear crystal gasket however only comes with new oem crystal though but most likely you can reuse it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts