The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After moving to the new forum, the trading post activity looks to have increased which is excellent and the SCTP has increased its lead as the best place to buy and sell Seiko watches on the internet. The new rule about prices in the title has also meant that listings are much easier to read. I have however noted a few new things that did not exist to the same extent in the old SCTP and which would be nice if we could leave out of the new SCTP.

Before the flaming war starts, please note that these are my personal opinions and there are people that might like and appreciate the things that I mention, but as (sadly) one of the biggest vintage Seiko watch buyers in the world, some of my ideas might be helpful. They are also not directed towards any specific seller so do not take anything personal.

i) Do not put rare, extremely rare or similar in the title. Buyers on the SCTP are pros and they know if something is rare or not. Also, rare seems to be mostly used for things that are absolutely not rare.
ii) Do not put lots of exclamation marks, blobs or things in the title. They do not make your lisitng more visible and there is even a rule against this.
iii) Start with a fair price. SCTP people know what a watch should cost and it should be easy to find the market price with a few searches of earlier posts. SCTP is not a place where people pay over market for watches. That said, it is a place where people are prepared to pay excellent prices for excellent watches.
iv) Do not bump or relist every day. If your watch did not sell yesterday, it will not sell today. Wait a few days, then relist. Also consider of your price is wrong or if your pictures are bad.
v) Use pictures, preferrably good pictures. You will be asked for them anyway and I have yet to see a watch sell without pics.
vi) If you are going to revise the price, do not do it by USD 5 and relist every day. If the watch did not sell at USD 305, it will not sell at USD 300. Also, threating to sell at ebay is not really a threat, it is an opportunity for us buyers to get it cheaper.
vii) Use good descriptions. Do not just refer to the pics. If you know of a defect, tell us.

/ martin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hardly a rant hoss!

this is good advice to sellers...as well as I suppose a very mild warning...instead of buyer beware...its seller beware.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Thats good advice but as we know every one see's something different.

1) I like to see rare in a title or a post brings it to my attention as intended by the poster, i can then decide if it is rare.

2) You will often see lots of exclamation marks in the title after a post, i put them there after a guy has posted and again not read the rules and therefore not displayed the price in the title.

3) Fair price has been discussed many times, what is fair ?

4) Bumping to me depends on activity on the trade forum as i only tend to read the first page so a bump could show me something i missed.

5) Pictures are a must and the rules state they must be in your post and still guys don't bother putting them in there posts !!!

6) Advising that a item is going to Ebay is that a threat or the seller telling you that if you liked this item but dident want to pay the asking price then check it out on Ebay you may get it for the low price you were prepared to pay ? Again it is in the rules all defects to be declared but again this is open to interpretation, i bought a dial off of a guy that he stated was 80% when it came i would have rated it at 95% bearing in mind its age. I have bought and sold on the TP and again i have had guys say knock $5 off and you have a deal LoL

Every one see things different which makes life interesting.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheTigerUK said:
Thats good advice but as we know every one see's something different.

1) I like to see rare in a title or a post brings it to my attention as intended by the poster, i can then decide if it is rare.

2) You will often see lots of exclamation marks in the title after a post, i put them there after a guy has posted and again not read the rules and therefore not displayed the price in the title.

3) Fair price has been discussed many times, what is fair ?

4) Bumping to me depends on activity on the trade forum as i only tend to read the first page so a bump could show me something i missed.

5) Pictures are a must and the rules state they must be in your post and still guys don't bother putting them in there posts !!!

6) Advising that a item is going to Ebay is that a threat or the seller telling you that if you liked this item but dident want to pay the asking price then check it out on Ebay you may get it for the low price you were prepared to pay ? Again it is in the rules all defects to be declared but again this is open to interpretation, i bought a dial off of a guy that he stated was 80% when it came i would have rated it at 95% bearing in mind its age. I have bought and sold on the TP and again i have had guys say knock $5 off and you have a deal LoL

Every one see things different which makes life interesting.
An argument is always interesting.

1) Rare in the title does not make any sense if something is not rare. If you want to draw peoples attention to a post, it would be better to put something like "elephant" ;D .

3) A fair price is what a watch usually sells for (or a bit more). The normal price for most watches that are being sold on SCTP can be determined by looking at the selling price for similar watches on the SCTP. I am willing to give a good bit of leeway on this one but I am absolutely sure that a watch will not sell for twice the price of a similar watch that sold last week.

4) Bumping has been introduced only with the new forum format and did not seem to be missed by anyone before. To me, bumping crowds out the posts of new watches. If you are too lazy to post again, do not bother.

6) These things are always posted like "buy it immediately or I am going to list it on ebay" which does not really sound like friendly advice.

At least we agree on 2) and 5) :).

/ martin

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Martin makes some excellent points and most should fall under the category of excellent advice, as opposed to revision of rules. I for one couldn't agree more about the posting of adjectives such as rare or mint/minty. We also have a specific rule against visual hooks and windings, and when I see something such as this: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I usually remove it and leave one. The price recommendation is a bit more difficult, as most sellers are out to get a maximum for their wares. However, keeping in mind who the item is being offered to should be a guide to pricing. Collectors are educated and know what an item shoud cost based on condition, so the pricing should be realistic considering who the items are being sold to. The rest is solid advice and I agree with it. I don't think that it's the kind of thing that should or could be mandated, but it is definitely solid, common sense advice that most long time collectors would be familiar with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts