The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
wow...i never knew that...i always thought when people asked for offers or trades...that is a great way to open a conversation and maybe make a deal...i never use it to fish for haggling...i will make sure to change my ads from here on it...thank you Noah R
I think trades are a different animal altogether because you really do have to work with the other person to find common ground. My comment relates more to someone who is on the fence about selling their item. Imagine if sellers on eBay could hide the fact that they have a reserve set. That's what soliciting offers seems like to me.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Big believer in keeping the input from the moderators down to a minimum. They expend time and effort for no financial gain and to me it often seems a thankless task. It is a job I would not wish to do and places like this would not exist for long without them. I go with what makes their life easier

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The rules are fine, John.. Unfortunately, there are a lot out there who live by the idea that it is OK to break rules as long as they don't get caught.. see it all the time when driving.. the only way they learn, if ever, is for the consequences to have an impact.. three strikes and they should lose privilege of using the Trading Forum..

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Quoting Al Murray.

"Where would be if we didn't have rules?"

"FRANCE!"

IMO, Keep the rules and publicly flog those that flout them

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wonder if it is just a small group of sellers that are breaking the rules repeatedly, making it look like a widespread problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK, so, I read the rules through before posting a WTB and figured I was OK (despite low post count), as the rules do not seem to be so strict on WTB. Or, was I wrong..?? Am happy to be wrong and have MY thread pulled if need be (probably breaking the rules by referring to my WTB here anyway)

WT

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ i'm a noob here & my wtb posts have been fine.

in reference to the issue at hand though - just delete f/s posts that don't conform!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I would suggest designing a pop up box that when the submit button is clicked states "This post will be deleted without warning if it does not comply with the SCTF rules". The pop up must be answered with either "Review my post" or "Yes it complies"

If the post breaks the rules just delete it.

I don't know if this would be possible with the forum software or a headache to design but may work. No more PMing explanations to offenders.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would suggest designing a pop up box that when the submit button is clicked states "This post will be deleted without warning if it does not comply with the SCTF rules". The pop up must be answered with either "Review my post" or "Yes it complies"

If the post breaks the rules just delete it.

I don't know if this would be possible with the forum software or a headache to design but may work. No more PMing explanations to offenders.
Good idea that Mike. I put my hands up to my fair share of mistakes while posting, more through carelessness than malice so a review often helps.

Plus should we not help the Mods out by PMing the incorrect posts ourselves?

·
Registered
53 Posts
that is a good idea, but its easy enough to just put that rule in the trade forum section with the other ones.
cheers

·
Administrator
29,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We have in the past asked the software engineers if they could do a template and other software types of fix but they have been unable to do what we require.

Members do contact us at times and advise when when they spot posts that don't conform to the rules if we have missed them.

As of today's posts zero tolerance it will be, we are training our new puppy at the moment and a light tap on the nose works wonders when he doesn't follow the rules :)

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
hey it sounds great...

·
Registered
76 Posts
just curious, of these non-conforming posts..... what is the most common "error" that sellers seem to be making?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Delete.

Save time for the mods and the rules are simple and clear enough.
Why bother wasting time for some, who doesn't take the time himself to read through the rules?

Thanks for keeping the SCTF tidy all these while.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Delete. Mistakes happen, but they don't happen nearly as often when there are rules that are enforced...

21 - 40 of 87 Posts