The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story starts with the first watch, a Sheffield electronic, from 1968 that I bought on line as a bare working watch, just needed a clean up, polished crystal and a nice new crocodile strap....
B)

2uNN9zA.jpg
I knew nothing about the watch at the time other than it was a 'hybrid' electronic watch with a balance wheel.
A bit of research told me it was a watch, marketed in the USA under the 'Sheffield' banner, but what was inside it was a Junghans 600.10 cal. movement from Germany, which dates the watch to 1968 and found this 1968 advert for it......
Rgec3Ss.jpg
They are also marketed with the dial text 'Matthey-Doret' and some, like this date version, also have the sub text 'by Sheffield'...
8W26FVs.jpg
A few weeks ago I picked up the 'second' watch, this Matthey-Doret version, as a non runner, very cheaply.
TLQQXdn.jpg
JlMsYLP.jpg
My hope that it would be an easy fix was however unfounded, battery corrosion had affected the circuit board, badly damaging the coil windings which left them stuck to the underside of the balance stopping it moving
:unsure:
I stripped it down, removing the circuit and freed up the balance. The mechanical part of the movement looked undamaged and the balance moved freely with the seconds hand moving as expected.
This left me with the need to source a replacement circuit, something I wasn't expecting to be able to do easily, or more to the point cheaply.
Surprisingly, a week or two later, while searching 'job lot' watches on eBay I came across this collection:-
KU9YWls.jpg
with this description............
"Old pin lever movements with good balances plus the Elgin
electronic movement with a Matthey Doret face, which works
but struggles when upside down.
Westclox has a US movement from La Salle, Illinois.
All for bits or spares and repair so No Returns."
The fact that the balance shows as a blur confirmed that the electronic part of the watch appeared to be OK.
Well I won the auction, making the total outlay for the original watch and the donor one still less than £30, result!
So this brings us to the 'half a watch'......
On receipt I checked it with a battery and the balance started to spin.
:thumbsu:

I quickly stripped it down to remove the electronic module, not very straight forward on these as they have an inner anti magnetic sub case that stops the module just sliding out. This has to be removed first and as it sits under the dial this means stripping the hands and dial off first, which is what I had to do on the original watch...
I found that the case and hands on the donor 'half' watch were better than the ones on my original Matthey-Doret watch so I rebuilt the watch using the original dial and movement (which is marked 600-30 and as such makes it the last of these non date movements, putting it somewhere between 1974 and 1977), the case and hands from the donor and the case back and stem/crown from the original watch....
Now all running nicely, shown here with the original 'Sheffield' watch and the 'half a watch' left over....
nV7e2Zk.jpg
As an extra bit of information I did a bit of research on the 'Elgin 250' movement and found that t would originally been in a watch looking like this, not sure how it found it's way into a Matthey-Doret case, with the Matthey-Doret dial and hands though?......
G7qx4lY.jpg
Bugger, yet another variation to look out for!
:unsure:
(along with a Matthey-Doret Junghans 600-12 cal. version with the date ).
;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work! Now you can start looking for the Russian "Junghans inspired" Luch 3045 :)
That's all I need, more bloody variants to look out for! :giggle:
You've started something now! On looking for the Luch 3045 (which I found and, it is not so much 'inspired by' but more a blatant identical copy of the Junghans 600 movement),

I stumbled across the Luch 3055, which does look more like an inspiration.......

Now I want one of these as well!:eek: (this one is currently on ebay, but while very reasonably priced, it's more than I pay for my watches.....;)

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nicely done! While searching for something else the other day I stumbled upon this UK based vintage watch website, the owner was super nice and friendly guy and I ended up getting my first electronic watch.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nicely done! While searching for something else the other day I stumbled upon this UK based vintage watch website, the owner was super nice and friendly guy and I ended up getting my first electronic watch.
View attachment 448807
View attachment 448808
;)
Nice! That appears to be an ESA9154 based watch....I have one of those, this Avia...

I also have a ESA 9157 based Montine (which required a replacement date wheel, surprisingly stocked by Cousins...):eek: .....

And the first one of the 'Swissonic' ilk that I got, this ESA9158 Talis, bought as project,

that needed a replacement circuit to get it up and running....

And a second ESA9158 'Limit', which at £60 is the most that I've spent on a watch for a couple of years

You can see a trend starting to emerge here I think.......

·
Registered
116 Posts
;)
Nice! That appears to be an ESA9154 based watch....I have one of those, this Avia...
View attachment 448809

I also have a ESA 9157 based Montine (which required a replacement date wheel, surprisingly stocked by Cousins...):eek: .....
View attachment 448810

And the first one of the 'Swissonic' ilk that I got, this ESA9158 Talis, bought as project,
View attachment 448813
View attachment 448814

And a second ESA9158 'Limit', which at £60 is the most that I've spent on a watch for a couple of years
View attachment 448812
;)
View attachment 448809

View attachment 448810

View attachment 448813
View attachment 448814

View attachment 448812
Yes it's ESA 9154. That's quite a collection you got there, the case shape of Montine is just the style I like, the others are nice too! I've never had an electronic watch before and this one is yet to be shipped, I guess battery life should be shorter than in Quartz watches? Can you please tell me what kind of accuracy can I expect from ESA?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it's ESA 9154. That's quite a collection you got there, the case shape of Montine is just the style I like, the others are nice too! I've never had an electronic watch before and this one is yet to be shipped, I guess battery life should be shorter than in Quartz watches? Can you please tell me what kind of accuracy can I expect from ESA?
Well you can set them up on a Timegrapher, just the same as a 'conventional' mechanical watch and if the movement is in good condition then they should be more consistent than a mechanical watch as the pulse timing from the circuit block is steady, unlike the potential accuracy change on a mechanical watch as the spring runs down... However as the balance on these hybrids tends to be much heavier than a conventional mechanical watch positional changes can have an adverse effect...

By the way, just found the advert on line for your Excalibur, about the right price for the condition with paperwork but because I tend to go for 'fixer uppers' my collection of all four 'Swissonics' only cost me about £15 more, the Talis, as a non worker was £12;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well you can set them up on a Timegrapher, just the same as a 'conventional' mechanical watch and if the movement is in good condition then they should be more consistent than a mechanical watch as the pulse timing from the circuit block is steady, unlike the potential accuracy change on a mechanical watch as the spring runs down... However as the balance on these hybrids tends to be much heavier than a conventional mechanical watch positional changes can have an adverse effect...

By the way, just found the advert on line for your Excalibur, about the right price for the condition with paperwork but because I tend to go for 'fixer uppers' my collection of all four 'Swissonics' only cost me about £15 more, the Talis, as a non worker was £12;)
I've just ordered some of the basic tools, so I might go that way in the future ;)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So I've managed to take you even further into the dark side ;)
The 3045 is nice because they are somewhat rare (too expensive to produce and factory stopped soon) And nice quality.
The 3055 is a weird quartz electro mechanical hybrid, low quality and very unreliable. So also interesting :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've managed to take you even further into the dark side ;)
The 3045 is nice because they are somewhat rare (too expensive to produce and factory stopped soon) And nice quality.
The 3055 is a weird quartz electro mechanical hybrid, low quality and very unreliable. So also interesting :)
So much so that I've just pulled the trigger on this! :oops: You have a LOT to answer for!:giggle:

But a working Luch 3055 for US$35 is just about affordable ;).......

·
Registered
116 Posts
You haven't answered my prior question about the battery life in electronic watches? I suppose it drains more battery than Quartz?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You haven't answered my prior question about the battery life in electronic watches? I suppose it drains more battery than Quartz?
Everything is relative.... the early quartz movements were fairly battery hungry, About one year would appear to be the norm......As with all vintage watches the condition of the mechanical movement and it's friction levels will have a bearing on battery life as does the early solid state electronics... My Timex electromechanical watches do seem to eat batteries but the better made Swissonics do seem to have a battery life comparable with analogue quartz watches of the same era...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Those electronic balance wheel models are an interesting style of watches. Some great ones shown on here btw.

I had a bit of a collecting jag on them a while back but all sold now.

This Citizen Cosmotron was pretty mint...

And of course the old Avia Swissonic..

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Muhahahaha ;)
You might like this site. Be careful, he's got amazing obscure stuff on there.
Seen that site before :cool:.
How about this one for an oddball electromechanical watch?

It is really just an 'electric' watch with a wire that touches the contact on the balance coil each revolution but gets it's 'Electronic' tag purely because it contains one diode!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yes but the diode is a very smart addition to the watch, preventing "sparking" of the contacts, to minimize wear and burning of the metal. Often seen problem with for example the Hamilton 500 calibre.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Interesting thread. I have an EL 370 that runs but I need to service the mechanical part of it. It’s on my list as soon as my watch fettling skills improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting thread. I have an EL 370 that runs but I need to service the mechanical part of it. It’s on my list as soon as my watch fettling skills improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a working Seiko EL330....

And this EL370,

currently 'in bits',

awaiting a replacement 3rd wheel, (currently in transit from Italy), which was what turned out to be the cause of the main gear train being solid....

I think the technical term is FUBAR'd;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts