The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Member
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seiko has issued so many variants of the SRP777 since it came out late 2015 but never an orange version akin to the SKX011 or SKX017 or the 7548-700C or such. Sure there was the SRPC95 "Nemo" which I got but soon flipped as I just could not bond with it - the 'sunburst effect' dial and blingy/shiny overall appearance with the addition of the day+date cyclops just did not speak to me. It just was not in keeping with the classic Seiko orange dial design.

It's hard to find an AM orange chapter ring for the SRP777 series but I did stumble across one recently. Proper shade of orange and not shiny. Perfect.

Add to that the new AM 'waffle dial' coming out of lots of vendors in Asia intended for SKX mods, I was ready to start a new project. The King Turtle series is using the waffle dial and it looks great. I have it on my SRPE03 and just like that one it has the gold 'divers 200m' text on the dial to keep things looking good. Hidden behind that is the 4R36 like it should be.

Seconds hand: The SKX011 uses gold outline hands and a solid black sweeper. The SRP775 uses a black short end and long gold tip. I deliberated over this choice entirely too long but once on the dial comparing them side by side decided to match up the OEM SRP775 H&M hands with the all-black OEM SKX011 sweeper for this build.

To keep it consistent and play off the gold accents I needed an OEM SRP775 bezel. Not easy to find but good member @Saul kindly answered my call from a WTB post and now the parts were assembled to allow the build to continue.

One thing I wanted to avoid was having an overt "bling factor" so I went with a sandblasted case/case back/OEM bracelet. I think this balances out the brightness of the orange especially given how large the SRP777 case size is. Orange is wrist presence by itself :cool: I figure if no one else but me and @peterrizzo like it that's OK too (y)

So I hope you like the end result.

Wrist shot from today's WRUW and the family photo: SKX013, SKX011 and 7548-700C to fill out the group.
PXL_20210608_144320739~2.jpg

PXL_20210608_140642205~2.jpg

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
peterrizzo likes it :) i would swap the bezel insert too, get the numbers to match the indices.
( and of course, i could be so wrong about that, i mean, it's your watch....)
but that is really one very super-cool watch you've made there.

It's a mystery to me why Seiko have made so few orange turtles, mini-turtles, heck, i'd love
an orange 6105 remake, especially if it could be bead-blasted :) orange, si! durashield, no!

jeez, jon, now you've got me thinking about an orange 6105 with an skx011 dial. i think
i'd go with black skx hands....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Absolutely a home run Jon! I love it! Thank you for leaving off the “cyclops” crystal. Only thing that I don’t like on the king turtles. Great work sir!!

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've never had an orange watch, would love to one day own an orange Seiko!!

Yes, I agree, Seiko don't really do official orange dials very often....

·
Registered
267 Posts
I want let enough posts above to show all the orange in all its glory. hopefully this is the right spot to flaunt the yellow dial build.

don't see Seiko do yellows either.

heres my orange as should be customary for this post...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts