The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been wearing my 6105s (8000 and 8110) for a long time, both with their Will waffles, and I would like to change one of them.

I don't know if this kind of strap has been re-edited by someone or the only way of wearing it is getting a vintage unit:

It has the flavour of the vintage, so maybe it would be fitted in my 8000.

Does anyone know about them?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's colloquially known as the 'chocolate bar' strap, and unlike the ZLM01/ZGL731 there is not marking/model# molded on the strap itself.

I wear one on my Proof 6105-8110:

I have not seen any replicas for sale, but I did see a replica in orange on a 6159-7001 recently (can't find the image).

The best way to find one of these (or an XGL-731) is usually to look for 6105's with one on Yahoo Japan.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
wow...yahoo japan might still have these...very interesting....great info

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You can still get an original one but you are looking at $350 and up.
Saying that a ~40 years rubber will hold your watch, and you do not know when it can brake. So, if it is for display only, and you want to invest that kind of money in a rubber strap, they are still out there. ;)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You can still get an original one but you are looking at $350 and up.
Saying that a ~40 years rubber will hold your watch, and you do not know when it can brake. So, if it is for display only, and you want to invest that kind of money in a rubber strap, they are still out there. ;)
Buying the strap alone may fetch that much, but often buying a watch with the strap on it and selling the watch will cost less.

Re: breaking
I've seen this concern but don't share it.

My chocolate bar is soft and pliable - maybe in the end I'll regret having done so, but I wear it without concern. Same with the XGL-731.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
like that chocolate bar band...very nice

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Looks OK to me. There are reproductions of it but first glance suggests that's an original. I wouldn't be too concerned about the rubber strap as it will sit inside a box and never get worn anyway...nice to have but I'd rather put the money towards the watch itself. That said the one you're showing us looks decent enough. Noticeably the dial and insert.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks OK to me. There are reproductions of it but first glance suggests that's an original. I wouldn't be too concerned about the rubber strap as it will sit inside a box and never get worn anyway...nice to have but I'd rather put the money towards the watch itself. That said the one you're showing us looks decent enough. Noticeably the dial and insert.
Ok.. GREAT. Thank you..

So for any other newbies who stumble upon this thread trying to walk away with an understanding of all of the variations of the original 6105 straps--- It seems there were 3:

- The "Waffle" which is marked as ZLM01 (this was the most common)
- ZGL731 (relatively rare)
- An unmarked "chocolate bar" which I just posted a picture of and Guy verified

1 - 14 of 14 Posts