The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this is not the tale of a noble Japanese warrior that goes out into the world looking for a mug. It's just a watch story

In 2008, when I got seriously into watches, I convinced myself that I needed an automatic Seiko. I wanted something sportive and reliable, so naturally it had to be a diver. Of course I looked at the most talked-about watch of the century, the Monster, but (puts on flame suit) I think that that watch looks terrible. So I then looked at the second most talked-about watch, the Sumo. But then there was the narrow bracelet issue that I explained on another post, and back then the Sumo fell short for me just because of the bracelet.

So what did I get? A blue Sammy, of course
. Beautiful watch, light, accurate (it was doing something like +6 or 7 seconds IIRC) and cool. I was extremely happy with it and without a doubt it was one of my favorite watches. But then, one day before Christmas, I got mugged and my loved SBDA003 was no more :( .

I know we're not supposed to get attached to material things - like my dad says, if money can buy it, it's cheap - but the hole it left in my watch box was really hurting every time I looked at my watches. So by January I started hunting high and low for a replacement, putting WTB adds in most of the big forums and scoring daily the sales section of all the big forums. Until March I didn't find any one up for grabs, but finally I found two at the same time. One was from a guy in the US, but he "ran from the deal" when we're still talking, but the second one, from Greece, worked out, and two weeks ago my new Samurai finally arrived ;D .

These are the photos that I took of my first Sammy. Since I got a new watch, of course I had to take new pics O0 .

So there you have it. I got my grail and my watch box is complete again :) .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice blue Samurai! :) Glad to hear that u get to snag your grail piece once again. Not everyone has a second chance. Keep it well!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jay! ;)
I'm proud you liked them! They were the first shots I made with my new Nikon D90 - night and day difference from the Sony TX1 that I've been using for the last 6 months.

·
Registered
702 Posts
A real beauty, great shots and a fine story to hold everything together... Bravo!

I must say I was on the same boat on 2007 and secided on the black monster
which I love and hate till this day. :-[
The sammy is very unique, designed very differently from other divers,
and with a 3 oclock crown it is just the way I like it.

Again, congrats on your "reunion", super 8)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys!
I think this was one of my truly "grail watches", and of all the watches I have, I guess only two or three can be considered that. So yes, this one is a very special one to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for sharing this story and for the nice pictures! I own a blue sammy and its one of my favorites! I will actually be acquiring a black sammy real soon! I love the lines of this watch. Congrats and wear it in good health

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeje3325 said:
Mine salutes yours! ^-^
I see you have good taste in watches too .

[quote=KVN]
Thanks for sharing this story and for the nice pictures! I own a blue sammy and its one of my favorites! I will actually be acquiring a black sammy real soon! I love the lines of this watch. Congrats and wear it in good health
[/quote]
Thanks! If I were to get a second Sammy it definitively would be the white one. I think it's a pretty striking watch!

[quote=TheTigerUK]ps: Is that water in the last shot ?? is that risky what is the depth rating ? i take mine off to wash the pots up ;)
[/quote]
Don't worry, I was wearing rubber boots.
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts