The Watch Site banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen post all over the place from Amazon to every watch forum about newer model 7S26 movements that run as fast as 25 minutes a day. I kept seeing stories here and there but no one really has any answers at all? Some of these watches were months old but the one thing every one had in common was the dial on the watch said Singapore. Someone stated that the actual movements were mad in China which actually makes me sick to my stomach if this is true. I bought a lot of six 7S26 movements some time ago cheap on eBay. the seller had stated he had removed them from a couple of newer Seiko 5 models and had them replaced after spending a lot of time trying to regulate them. They were cheap so I figure at best he did not know what he is doing of I have a good pile of spares. Well I serviced one of them today. clean out all the oil and reassembled them without touching the settings on the balance. This watch balance to off like a high beat. I mean it was screaming at a pace that it would have gained 10 minutes an hour. I figured I had nothing to lose and knowing about all of this chatter. I first set the timing lever to the full slowest setting. it did next to nothing to slow it down. So I said screw it I'll mess with the beat lever that they tell you never to touch. There was noting to lose at this point. I dialed it back as far as I cold without it actually stopping the balance and it still was running was to fast.
So I think I have found out first hand that these complaints about these defective 7S26 that have become a problem in the last few years do exist. What they could have screwed up to make a watch run that fast is beyond me. every complain is running extremely fast never slow. It appears there is no way to fix this problem. I guess it could be either some incorrect parts installed or a bad batch of parts. If the movement truly are manufactured in China that would explain a lot as to why these movements are junk.

Michael

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Looking at the title of your post Michael you got me thinking, 7A26, new one on me :)

Have you tried a complete balance assembly from a "good" 7S26 ?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well there must be something that is not made the same...maybe a heavier spring...gearing it wrong...if you had another 7s26a movement you could disassemble one and take a closer look but other than that i have no idea...so sorry...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears to be bad balance assemblies because I took another complete balance assembly out of another 7S26 A and the watch balance ran at what appeared to be a normal speed thought I did not go so far as to test exactly what it was. The bad one was so bad you could see with just your eyes it was on a steroids! I installed secondhand on the movement and compared it to my Seiko atomic clock. It was clocking a minute in about 40 seconds! That's was with the adjustment to full slow too. I have no doubt now that the Singapore factory is producing some completely wacked out balance assemblies. Funny thing is the second one I replaced it with that seems to be in time is from Singapore also. So some Singapore balance assemblies are good and others are 100% garbage. They still make the 7S26 in Japan. If I was shopping for a new watch and the 7S26 was the power plant for it I would make darn sure I bought if from the Philippines to make sure it was a JDM market watch with a Japanese assembled 7s26!

·
Craftsman
326 Posts
Have you inspected the hair spring to make sure the coils aren't touching? Sometimes oil will migrate onto the hair spring causing the coils to stick together and effectively shortening the length of the spring which then causes the watch to run several minutes fast per day.

Regarding the country of origin, take a look at this.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would take Malaysia any day over Chinese made. All they know how to do is produce garbage. The only good thing is they mark the rotors of the one made in Malaysia right on the rotor. The others have no country of origin stamped on the movement rotor.
I am not sure what these Chinese hacks are doing to these balance assemblies. I bought two 7S26 JDM divers last year. I gave one to my brother in law and I kept the other. They run beautifully. It says made in Japan on the dial. Who knows for sure but where ever it is they seem to have zero problems while dials stamped Malaysia means you movement was made in China for sure. I will never buy any new Seiko unless it says made in Japan on the dial. I have not read one single complaint about and 7S26 that came out of a watch with Made in Japan on the dial.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I find that if the balance looks like its going ten to the dozen, amplitude is the problem, its just not swinging far enough, so the rate is ridiculously high, there are tons of reasons this could be happening, everything from dirty cap jewels to week mainsprings or sticking of the hairspring to another coil.
As far as I'm aware with 7s26 the problem is generally sticking or hooked up coils, I had that with my monster (bought new), when you are talking about used items the problem could be whole host of things
Seikola

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is 7s26A still used in new Seiko watches?

I have SKX007K not Japan made, and works very well, it uses 7S26B. I don't know for sure where its made, but US version SKX173 have Malaysia on dial, many say SKX007K is from China, and its well liked by many.

Thanks, Dynam0humm for this insight to WUS.

Have you inspected the hair spring to make sure the coils aren't touching? Sometimes oil will migrate onto the hair spring causing the coils to stick together and effectively shortening the length of the spring which then causes the watch to run several minutes fast per day.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is 7s26A still used in new Seiko watches?

I have SKX007K not Japan made, and works very well, it uses 7S26B. I don't know for sure where its made, but US version SKX173 have Malaysia on dial, many say SKX007K is from China, and its well liked by many.

Thanks, Dynam0humm for this insight to WUS.
They are not all bad. The Seiko design is a good design. The problem is quality control in places like China.
Like Seikola mentioned it has to do most likely with way to much oil on the balance which when it gets on the hair spring will cause all sorts of problems. Chinese factories have quotas and if they have to ship bad product or cut corners to meet them they will. It makes perfect sense a very sloppy or over application of oil on the balance would explain erratic time keeping. It's the exact type of thing they would do at a Chinese factory.
They did make some changes to the B model. The one most annoying one is riveting the upper plate that holds the date change gears and date wheel in place. If you need to make a repair it is hard to remove the plate without bending it and if you bend it the date change will not work right. You have to grind the rivet head off and carefully pry it off.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know that the 7S26B movement has that problem when the mainspring winds down the balance spring can get hung up on the pin in the movement. Not sure if they fixed that in the C model. I have an SKX009K with the C movement and have not had this problem. Mine was assembled in Malaysia.

Here's a link explaining the B model hang up problem which cause movement to run ~10 secs fast per minute
Seiko 7s26B vs 7s26A

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1266711718/Seiko+7s26B+vs+7s26A+-+Seiko+read+this!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have seen post all over the place from Amazon to every watch forum about newer model 7S26 movements that run as fast as 25 minutes a day. I kept seeing stories here and there but no one really has any answers at all? Some of these watches were months old but the one thing every one had in common was the dial on the watch said Singapore. Someone stated that the actual movements were mad in China which actually makes me sick to my stomach if this is true. I bought a lot of six 7S26 movements some time ago cheap on eBay. the seller had stated he had removed them from a couple of newer Seiko 5 models and had them replaced after spending a lot of time trying to regulate them. They were cheap so I figure at best he did not know what he is doing of I have a good pile of spares. Well I serviced one of them today. clean out all the oil and reassembled them without touching the settings on the balance. This watch balance to off like a high beat. I mean it was screaming at a pace that it would have gained 10 minutes an hour. I figured I had nothing to lose and knowing about all of this chatter. I first set the timing lever to the full slowest setting. it did next to nothing to slow it down. So I said screw it I'll mess with the beat lever that they tell you never to touch. There was noting to lose at this point. I dialed it back as far as I cold without it actually stopping the balance and it still was running was to fast.
So I think I have found out first hand that these complaints about these defective 7S26 that have become a problem in the last few years do exist. What they could have screwed up to make a watch run that fast is beyond me. every complain is running extremely fast never slow. It appears there is no way to fix this problem. I guess it could be either some incorrect parts installed or a bad batch of parts. If the movement truly are manufactured in China that would explain a lot as to why these movements are junk.

Michael
The parts for the 7s26A were made in Japan and then assembled in Singapore. After 2006, the assembly was moved to Malaysia.

There is nothing wrong with these movements that cannot be fixed by a competent watchmaker.

The most common problem is that the balance spring becomes magnetized and the coils stick together making it run very fast. The other major problem is the hairspring becomes bent out of shape by people who don't know what they are doing and again the movement runs way too fast.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I would take Malaysia any day over Chinese made. All they know how to do is produce garbage. The only good thing is they mark the rotors of the one made in Malaysia right on the rotor. The others have no country of origin stamped on the movement rotor.
I am not sure what these Chinese hacks are doing to these balance assemblies. I bought two 7S26 JDM divers last year. I gave one to my brother in law and I kept the other. They run beautifully. It says made in Japan on the dial. Who knows for sure but where ever it is they seem to have zero problems while dials stamped Malaysia means you movement was made in China for sure. I will never buy any new Seiko unless it says made in Japan on the dial. I have not read one single complaint about and 7S26 that came out of a watch with Made in Japan on the dial.
You're painting with broad strokes. There are more than a billion people in China. Are they all hacks by virtue of being Chinese?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're painting with broad strokes. There are more than a billion people in China. Are they all hacks by virtue of being Chinese?
This is the second time in two days you have tried to turn someone's personal opinion and try to turn it into a political or racial argument. One from another member and now this one from me. If you do not like reading other people's personal opinions then don't read the forums and stop trolling to start a political or racial argument on this forum. We are a family here and respect all opinions and points of views regardless of if we agree with them or not. What you are doing is nothing more than trolling. This will be the last time I personally will respond to any post you make.

Michael

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is the second time in two days you have tried to turn someone's personal opinion and try to turn it into a political or racial argument. One from another member and now this one from me. If you do not like reading other people's personal opinions then don't read the forums and stop trolling to start a political or racial argument on this forum. We are a family here and respect all opinions and points of views regardless of if we agree with them or not. What you are doing is nothing more than trolling. This will be the last time I personally will respond to any post you make.

Michael
Michael, perhaps you'e unaware of to whom you're speaking to. Myles is a well respected, well regarded member of the WUS community. And by looking at your join date/post count, I'm not sure you have a right to be calling anyone a troll. Myles merely asked you a question, no need for you to get all puffy, and start calling anyone out. I can certainly understand how your comments might be offensive to some, and thus causing them to question you. If you don't like being questioned regarding your opinions, perhaps it is you who should not be posting on public forums...No?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.