The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First posted by Richard Askam back in 2007 :), do you recognise yourself ?

For a bit of fun and with a tip of the hat to Dante's Inferno here's my take on spiralling down into watch-mania... the Nine Circles Of WISdom.

Remember when you had just one watch? You used it for years. It needed services/batteries but it worked just fine and you were happy. The spiral began...

1. First Circle.
- A friend showed you his new watch and you thought "Hey, maybe I should get a new watch?".
- You joined some online forums, got some opinions on current watches but liked two equally.
- You bought them both.

2. Second Circle.
- You have four watches for the following uses, work, dress, beater, gym.
- You're in denial... "A collection!? Nah, a collection is 5 or more right?".
- You've just subscribed to 'International Watch'.

3. Third Circle.
- Your 'collection' hit 10 some time ago so you have all the bases covered now; diver, dress, beater, vintage, mickey mouse etc. but you're still looking for another watch.
- You've tried your first 'hand swap' using a bent screwdriver, two cocktail sticks and a q-tip, "Watchmakers? Pah! How hard can it be?".... you now have a 'project watch' box.
- Your wife 'thinks' you're an idiot.

4. Fourth Circle.
- You've just completed your first watch family (same watch in all available colours).
- You know Segal's Law, but you're feeling particulary smug as you've just ordered a Waveceptor (or similar), "Ha!".
- Your total watch count doesn't include 'project watches' any more.
- When you get out of the shower, the first thing you put on is your watch.
- Your wife 'tells you' you're an idiot.

5. Fifth Circle.
- You wouldn't admit it but you pick your watch out first and then select your outfit accordingly.
- You have a 'bed watch' and you charge up the lume religiously just before lights out.
- You're on first name terms with the postman.
- Your wife 'knows' you're an idiot. You agree.

6. Sixth Circle.
- Every morning Your Waveceptor (or similar) wakes you up EXACTLY on time and you use a vintage chrono to time your boiled eggs.
- While you wait, you wind 7 manual wind watches.
- You've tried to read under the duvet, using just the lume glow from your watch.
- You own watches without straps.
- Ramon knows your name.

7. Seventh Circle.
- You don't bother keeping your watches running any more, "It reduces the wear on them anyway, right?".
- You decide which watch to wear based on how close the day/date combination is to being right so you'll have less 'messing about' setting it.
- You've bought your first vintage watch that is 'too good' to wear.
- Your wife suggests a vacation and you realise with horror that you don't have a 'vacation watch'.
- You spent more on the 'vacation watch' than the vacation.

8. Eighth Circle.
- You've bought a watch on the net, when you went to put it away you realised you already had one.
- You don't care about the day/date being right any more, if you need to know the date you look at your phone.
- You associate the word 'vacation' with either Switzerland or Japan.
- You replace your spring bars annually. You've read stories of 'spring bar failure' and the thought alone makes you feel ill.
- Higuchi-san sent you a christmas card.

9. Ninth Circle.
- A new acquaintance asked how many watches you have and you said 'oh, I don't know', not because you we're embarrassed to say... you really don't know.
- Your wife associates the word 'vacation' with Switzerland or Japan.
- You have a beater worth more than your car.
- You get more phone calls from watch dealers than friends.
- You have a piece of paper in your wallet that reads 'In the event of an accident please ensure that my vintage perpetual calendar watch is wound daily'.

So, are you in control of your WISdom?

Have a good weekend everyone...

Rich.

·
Special Member
3,395 Posts
I missed: "You spend at least 10 minutes aligning the minute and seconds hand so that the minute hand is exactly at 12 when the minute hand is at 12 also, of course using your Casio radio controlled watch to set the time exactly."

·
Registered
269 Posts
LOL Oh man this is crazy!! My obsession started when a friend at work mentioned he was looking for a vintage omega Seamaster and within a month or so I owned 3! He eventually ended up buying a seiko off me lol. Arguing with myself on how many watches makes a collection, first name terms with the postman and the spring bar failure all ring true aswell. What a good read and laugh this gave me!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My wife knows i'm an idiot and tells me frequently... most common phrase being "all your ****ing watches look the same to me"

I start trying to explain the subtle differences between quartz, eco-drive, kinetic and automatic, 150m, 200m 300m and 1000m depth ratings, HRVs, bi and uni-directional bezels etc, some time later i wake up on the floor with a huge headache and a bent frying pan next to me.

Short attention span (and a tendency toward violence) my wife has....:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wife knows i'm an idiot and tells me frequently... most common phrase being "all your ****ing watches look the same to me"

I start trying to explain the subtle differences between quartz, eco-drive, kinetic and automatic, 150m, 200m 300m and 1000m depth ratings, HRVs, bi and uni-directional bezels etc, some time later i wake up on the floor with a huge headache and a bent frying pan next to me.

Short attention span (and a tendency toward violence) my wife has....
That's funny! My wife has just said she doesn't see the difference between a sub and the watch that i'm wearing ( I've currently got a TST on my wrist )

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
wow...i never knew i was a number 6...i just spoke with Ramon last night....he said i am a good friend...i think i may need help..God Bless John..
the post office call me to tell me i have stuff on the way...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Well I'm up to five, and yes the postman calls me John now ;) (he even flagged me down,when driving half a mile from home, to give me a parcel )

·
Special Member
7,480 Posts
Oldie but goodie. The one that is a true story for me was this one:
Your wife suggests a vacation and you realise with horror that you don't have a 'vacation watch'.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The post man or woman will sign the signature slip for me if i'm not home..Bless Them

I will put on at least 4 watches a day .
I'm at 7 beaters and counting .
I was called a watch Whxxe today .
My neighbors think I'm Coo-Coo because I'll say things like ," oh , I have to put on my Home Depot watch or I have to put on my install a new garbage disposal watch , etc..
I cover my dive watch if it rains .
I drive with my arm resting on the window sill and my hand gripping the top of the door frame posing the watch .

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Joking apart so much in it is actually true !!! :)

I'm visiting the land of Seiko in a few weeks time and the watch business has crossed my mind a few times, should i take one watch but should I also take a beater, should I take a couple of watches and a beater, should i take my SkyHawk for the WT features, should i take quartz or automatic, will they be safe in my case or should i carry in my hand luggage, will they go through the custom check safely, in what should i pack the ones i'm not wearing or should........................................Fun isent it ? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts