The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this neat old Seiko in a lot of watch parts and pieces about a year ago. The back cover was not marked so when I got around to removing the cover sometime later I was surprised to find that the movement had no caliber marked on it either. I know Seiko did not mark some movements from the 60's. No problem I have the manuals part one and two. I flipped through every page and there is no 15 jewel movement in the book anywhere with this configuration. The closest model I can find is the 21 jewel model 560. Everything look the same appearance wise.
Now onto part two. It appears this model which has the name Sports- on the dial and the rest obscured appears to be of the design that the movement is meant to be removed through the front. Normally I would just remove the old plastic crystal and replace it with a new one but how can you look up the crystal if you do not even know what caliber or model the watch is?

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Seiko cal 175, 15j sportsman from 1960, similar to 3140 movement.
I'm not sure about that caseback being original, but I know next to nothing.
I'm sure someone will have more case information for you.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I saw the 175 stamped on the bridge but there is not caliber 175 listed either of the two Seiko books I have that are from 1973. I was amazed how clean the movement was. It is exactly how I received it and it runs and is pretty accurate. I would really like to see if I can restore the dial. It is a very simple design. I guess I'm just going to go with brute force and ignorance and cut a notch in the old acrylic crystal so I can pry it out then remove the movement through the front.

Thanks blacklab for the crystal information. If I do not have anything in my stash that fits it I will order up the Sternkreuz M from J&B.

Michael

·
Administrator
33,977 Posts
Please note, i know nothing about this watch or model # but i find it strange that you can remove the case back but you say the movement comes out through the front, what makes you think that ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Front loading is not uncommon on these older Sieko's they normally have a bezel ring and the crystal fits into that, the bezel holds the movement in place with 2 movement retaining screws on the back which I notice have been removed. I will post a photo later, so don't do anything drastic just yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just for illustration I have used an old Sportsmatic 820 without the movement.

Remove the caseback, remove the 2 movement retaining screws (llready done by the look of it), remove the crown & stem. Look around the side of the case & you should see where the bezel joins the case, there should be a small indentation to insert a case opening knife. Carefully prise off the bezel from the case. The movement & dial can now be removed from the front. The crystal is just a press fit into the bezel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much blacklab. I noticed what appeared to be a faint line that I though might be an access point but I did not believe the bezel would be that big and I did not want to mark up the side of the case. I will look for the notch for the case knife. I can tell you that you have to look very very close to even notice the seam it fits so well. I noticed the missing screws too. The only thing that keeps the movement from spinning in the case the I received it is the winding stem! Someone else must have had a go at it at one time and gave up. I'm sure I have some suitable screws to reinstall in my spare parts somewhere.

Now I'm stoked about this watch. I have wanted to get at the stained dial since I receive the watch a year ago! It is always possible it just needs a cleaning. It it was water damaged I don't think the movement would be in such nice shape. It runs so well I am not even going to touch it. Just repair the dial and clean the case a bit and find a suitable leather strap.

Michael

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad to be of help. You shouldn't have too much trouble sourcing case screws as they appear to be the same on most earlier models. A lot of the earlier Seikos do suffer from water damage, it's getting harder to find clean examples, you may be lucky and find this one cleans up, but don't expect miracles. If you get stuck on the cases again have a look at this: http://www.thewatchsite.com/d1/files/Casing%20Guide/03.%20Casing%20Guide.pdf

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK thanks to blacklab I finally was able to remove the movement from my Sportsmatic. I actually could not find any notch for the case knife and the seem was very tight but after about five minutes of trying to get the case knife caught and wresting with it all of a sudden the crystal popped loose and I was able to slide the case knife under it and pull it off cleanly. I then slide a very small thin dental tool I have between the dial and ring and the second I gave it a little twist the outter bezel popped right off. Now the bad news The dial is not dirty. It appears the paint has just fallen off the dial exposing what looks like to be a red oxide primer which was a common primer for many years. What a shame. It can not be moisture damage as the movement is spotless. Going to see if my buddy who is a graphic artist might be able to assist me with some dial masks and maybe overlays for the scripts too restore the dial. Either way this project is going on the back burner obviously!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts