The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a Seikoholic, I can't really say that I ever warmed up to the SKX. I’ve had a few over the years and with the exception of an original untouched 009, all of them were 007s heavily modified from new. I can safely say thatI have never actually owned an 007-dialed SKX in my watch box. I have since sold my 009 and all SKX-based mods and in that time I have also learned how to do my own mod, custom paint and relume hands. Having the know-how and the means to create, I decided to give the SKX007 another try with the intention of keeping it’s Seiko awesomeness.

This is my vision of what a bolder, more modern SKX should look like – a 2016 version of the SKX.

Gone are the details I dislike about the original and though it may have an updated look, it still retains it’s Seiko soul. This particular mod doesn’t pretend to be anything else – it IS an SKX diver first and foremost with just a few cosmetic tweaks. In fact, it takes inspiration from these icons…

(Photo courtesy of fratellowatches.com)

The 6159 Tuna (or Atlas) hands just work so well on these diver dials that I really wonder why Seiko keeps sticking those arrow hands on to the SKX! For sure they have more interesting and appropriate designs in their arsenal! The arrow hands worked for the 6309 but that dial has a different look and character compared to the one on the 007. I think someone just got complacent in the design department.

The crystal is double domed courtesy of CrystalTimes and is the one without the blue AR coating. I just find the blue hue a bit distracting sometimes and detracts from the nice hand and dial combo here. Harold (aka Yobokies) installed a set of black day-date wheels so I can enjoy the hands I painted and relumed in peace. The absence of the blue hue on the glass, the black date wheel, the subtle distortion of the dial due to the domed sapphire and the color of the hands makes everything pop and come together.

The bezel is from Dr. Seikostain and in my opinion, upgrades the look of the classic SKX – it is very subtle, still toolish but with a touch of elegance. It is the Atlas One model which imho is just a notch more classy than a coin edge with superb detail in the flesh. It fits and functions flawlessly and matches well with the original insert. The original insert once installed slopes down ever so gently towards the beveled edge of the sapphire. I can't capture it on the photo but on the wrist it is such a cool detail. This play of light, angles and reflections totally changes the character of the watch.

I chose this Bonetto Cinturini strap to go with the SKX. To me it is the best strap in terms of design, comfort and value. The carbon effect is modern yet reminds me of vintage Swiss Tropic straps. The tapered recess and the change in texture also tones down the thickness and nicely frames the SKX case. The width is of course 22mm at the lugs and tapers to 20mm at the buckle. The buckle is polished and compliments the polished sides of the SKX as well. Bonetto should get an award for this strap if you ask me. The vanilla scent is there too. I've owned an Isofrane and it is simply no match for this simple affordable strap.

Wrist pics of course!

It was hard to find the right color paint for the orange hand that matches the text but I think I nailed it. I also resisted the urge to put a glass lumed insert on the watch to preserve its 007 genes. As with all my mods, it took me some time to think this through - even more so because I wanted to keep the originality somehow. Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out and can now say that 'I own an SKX007.’ It's been on the wrist five days straight now - what more can I say?

I hope you enjoyed reading, thanks! :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
That looks great! I wish Seiko would upgrade the SKX models. The problem is that the cost would increase dramatically...I think. It would probably be made under the "Prospex" branding.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also....there is a growing thread on WUS about Deep Blue's jump on the creation of a SKX copy with some very nice upgrades. To include:

*AR coated sapphire crystal
*NH 36 movement w/hacking
*300m water resistance
*44mm case size

I'm not endorsing the watch...but they're going nuts over it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Also....there is a growing thread on WUS about Deep Blue's jump on the creation of a SKX copy with some very nice upgrades. To include:

*AR coated sapphire crystal
*NH 36 movement w/hacking
*300m water resistance
*44mm case size

I'm not endorsing the watch...but they're going nuts over it.

That's not really an upgrade, it's a blatant copy - with a dubious depth/ water resistance rating, a step backwards He valve, no mention of screw down crystal and very dodgy marketing spiel- "Deep Blue is known for its innovation in technical achievements such as 3000 meter tested Dive Watches, Depth Meters, Sapphire Bezels, Ceramic Bezels, Tritium Tube Gaseous Technology, Helium release Valves and the extensive use of Superluminova. Our design Philosophy at Deep Blue is form Follows function. Accuracy and Water resistance insure a dependable Life saving time piece." So which of these are it's technical achievements? It's also the same price an an SKX - so I'd say spend twenty quid on a sapphire for the SKX and a cheap as chips 4R36, and you'll have a watch with ISO diver's rating, that's already been tested to work at 250m by Seiko and to 460m without breaking (by Bry1975). Deep blue make no mention of ISO divers certification, I ahem... presume they must have it - or they'd be selling them fraudulently as a "Divers" watch. :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Excellent mod, friend! Very nicely done. Maybe in your free time you could post a tutorial on painting the hands.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's not really an upgrade, it's a blatant copy - with a dubious depth/ water resistance rating, a step backwards He valve, no mention of screw down crystal and very dodgy marketing spiel- "Deep Blue is known for its innovation in technical achievements such as 3000 meter tested Dive Watches, Depth Meters, Sapphire Bezels, Ceramic Bezels, Tritium Tube Gaseous Technology, Helium release Valves and the extensive use of Superluminova. Our design Philosophy at Deep Blue is form Follows function. Accuracy and Water resistance insure a dependable Life saving time piece." So which of these are it's technical achievements? It's also the same price an an SKX - so I'd say spend twenty quid on a sapphire for the SKX and a cheap as chips 4R36, and you'll have a watch with ISO diver's rating, that's already been tested to work at 250m by Seiko and to 460m without breaking (by Bry1975). Deep blue make no mention of ISO divers certification, I ahem... presume they must have it - or they'd be selling them fraudulently as a "Divers" watch. :eek:hmy:
I agree. I own the 007 and 009. I love them both. I'm a Seiko man

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great work! That looks very wonderful. I'd still prefer the look of an original skx. The hardlex crystal and no frills bezel and design are what makes it so attractive to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool look, reminds me a lot of the Squale 1521 (mine is gathering dust in my drawer with my other non Seikos)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks great! I wish Seiko would upgrade the SKX models. The problem is that the cost would increase dramatically...I think. It would probably be made under the "Prospex" branding.
Thanks! Even if it did come under the Prospex branding I think they could do some good by updating the look.

Excellent mod, friend! Very nicely done. Maybe in your free time you could post a tutorial on painting the hands.
Good work on the hands Tristan, I've lost interest in modding or modded skx's but yours looks great.
Thank you gentlemen!
@ray gonzales - The hands are the core pieces of this idea. Glad you like it Ray!
@OutaTime - If and when I do get the time I will try and document hand repainting. Challenge accepted lol

Great work! That looks very wonderful. I'd still prefer the look of an original skx. The hardlex crystal and no frills bezel and design are what makes it so attractive to me.
Thanks! And I completely understand why you feel this way about it. But ever since seeing the Tuna models I showed above, I just had to give it a shot.

Not too fond of the minute hand but everything else looks awesome! I like the bezel...
Agree 100%
Cool look, reminds me a lot of the Squale 1521 (mine is gathering dust in my drawer with my other non Seikos)
Thank you! The bezel actually looks less blingy than the original because it dissipates light in a way that makes the watch more toolish. I did the minute hand in orange to highlight the tip when it passes through the white indices. I think white (or polished) would also work but thought that orange would be more legible. Plus I really like a splash of color on a fun diver just like in the Squale 50 Atmos or a Doxa.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I would either give it a coke bezel to match the red hand, or put all silver or all white hands on it if you want to stick with the black bezel. Somehow the red hand feels off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would either give it a coke bezel to match the red hand, or put all silver or all white hands on it if you want to stick with the black bezel. Somehow the red hand feels off.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have silver and black hands just like this with matching orange SKX seconds which I plan to try some time. Btw, the hand is orange and the look is influenced by the likes of the Doxa Sharkhunter, Eberhard Scafograf Super 500 or the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (but its not trying to be one.)

Contrary to what some think and if one actually looks at designs beyond Seiko, this style of dial, hand and black colored bezel on a diver is actually quite old. It is not 'cartoonish' as some people describe them, it is classic imho. Longines and Omega for example have been doing the same since the 60s.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Does look great, Tristan. I'm not as keen on the minute hand but it's appealing. I did a CT sapphire crystal mod to a mate's and it really does look good. The bezel is also a nice touch and I agree it improves the look.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Looks Great !!! I'll take the Blancplain Please ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

WOW...I just cruised over to Deep Blue's website and took a look at their SKX incarnation. For Shame!!! Even the hands look like SKX hands.

On the flip side, this all makes me wonder if the SKX is finally being put out to pasture by Seiko and therefore companies like Deep Blue are free to copy it without fear of legal recourse for copyright/patent infringement (?...sorry, not a lawyer, so not sure which one :cool:). If that's the case, perhaps those of us who love the SKX should be pleased that it will live on?

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
This is the One I want ;)

Or any of these :)

Back on Topic....

Reactions: Uluabob
1 - 20 of 23 Posts