The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Special Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!
I've written some these last couple months regarding my first acquisitions; mostly of the 6309-7040 variety and have mentioned a few quartz divers that I can't let go of.
When this all started, I asked the forum to help me evaluate a recent purchase with regard to the authenticity of the dial.
Since then, I was able to pick up the reference quality 6309 as well as another modded "Black & tan" model.
I posted photos of the three in a thread called "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".
Many of you commented on the group shots and offered encouragement as to what to do with all my surplus 7548's.
I remember one comment in particular; "That didn't take long", which was in reference to my rapid ascension up the Seiko ladder.
Some of the subject matter of the posts detailed my desire to find a 6306 or 6105. My feeling at the time was that I would most likely never own either.
I believed they were out of my reach...
That was true until just a few days ago. In a strange twist of fate, I found myself to be in the right place at the right time; not once but twice.
I always told myself that if the right watches came along, I would entertain a purchase, rather than agressively seeking them out.
Part of that is just deliberately not allowing any particular watch to elude me; like when you try so hard to make something happen and for some unknown reason, it always stays inches away from your grasp.
I won't mention any details of the actual dollars spent, but will suffice it to say that either of these would bring three times what I gave for them. And that, my friends, is the main reason I couldn't say no any longer. It was an offer I couldn't refuse...Soprano's style.
Now we come to the part of this story where I explain the title of this thread...
When I wear any of my 6309's, it's an amazing feeling. I feel somehow connected to the past; a time when we all wore winders and auto's. I remember my first quartz and how accurate that 7548 was and still is to this day...but the auto's; it's those watches that I reach for. I like knowing that the watch I'm wearing right now isn't powered by a battery, but instead, a perfect mesh of gears, balances, jewels and a delicate mainspring. All I need to do is wear it and it keeps good time.
I tried to convince myself that I didn't need anything other than a simple 6309; the "everyman's watch" I told myself that anything more was simply an unnecessary luxury that should be avoided rather than sought after.
I can now say that after having the experience of wearing a 6105-8119, it just feels right.
I never understood until now. I'd read other's posts about how much they enjoyed wearing the 6105 but it wasn't until I actually put it on my wrist that I truly understood what that feeling is...like getting home after a long journey.
All for now,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Like the analogy Mike and the watch too! Seiko divers are just brilliant and very addictive, its such a slippery slope :)
As Bodo says look forward to your group shots in the future maybe a Scubapro 450 one day? ;)

·
Special Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys!
I'll take some proper group photos this coming week.
Here's a few additional details about the 6105 that I didn't mention...
Firstly there's provenance; the 6105 had been kept in a safe for years at a respected watchmaker/rolex dealer. The watch has new seals/gaskets, has been serviced and came with an actual NOS "Williard" strap. The strap wasn't mounted, he just had the strap and included it with the watch. The strap is not a reproduction so I guess I really can't wear it as it's in perfect condition; no cracks, bends or dried out areas. I'm still not sure what I'm more pleased about..the strap or the watch.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Hmm can't wait to see this one.
Agree having an original waffle would be a treat, but for me I'd also be worried about it snapping or cracking. But jealous of you here, Mike. Sounds like you found a gem.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Nice example Mike, the 6105 is a fantastic watch, I reckon you might be in the first throws of seiko sickness, if I were you i'd run away now mate :grin:

·
Special Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the watch over to a local Seiko collector/enthusiast here in San Diego and he said that he would value the strap alone at more than the watch. Puts me in a bit of a pinch here because I can't wear the strap since it's so rare. The guy I took it to to appraise it said he had only seen photos of these or in a glass display case at shows, but never actually touched one. I really don't know what to do with it. Maybe someday when I sell the watch, the strap could go with it, but I can't imagine ever selling this watch.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Hmm well I'd say he might be being a little ott with his valuation. I'd say your watch is double that amount. Not the other way round.

Have you any pictures of the strap? Which one is it, the waffle or chocolate bar?
zlm-01 or xgl-731 and I ain't sure of the code for the 'chocolate' strap, are the ones you'll see mentioned.

Keep the strap and enjoy it once in a while.
One zlm-01 has been listed and never bought for the £1000 asking price. That has since been dropped to 600 and not sold.
One did sell for 500 with a single bidder.. But most genuine original ones, not the 'NOS' reproduction ones that a certain seller keeps dishing out for 10 - 20 times the actual cost, along with the NOS inserts (from yobokies) fetch about £200-£300 ish.

Although, saying all that. It simply depends on how much someone is willing to pay!

·
Special Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would agree with you on all that. He may have over estimated the value, but I see alot of 6105's for sale and no genuine straps. Just that one new strap from that one seller and a handful of reproduction straps.
I think in the end, it's not what something is worth anyway...just that it's still around after so many years.
I think that it's cool that it came with the watch. Literally amazed when I saw it. I mean, two weeks ago, I wasn't even looking at 6105's...unnecessary luxury. And then suddenly to have this happen? When I questioned the seller regarding the strap, {after the sale was completed}, he told me that he had always just kept it there with the watch in his safe. I didn't know it was original until I received the watch. He had it tucked into the case in a mesh keeper behind some foam padding. I found it somewhat by accident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts