The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the pre-owned wrist marked there is currently a rather strange situation.

Three causes have created this:
1. Solid gold wristwatches are socially sensible and because they are expensive less bought.
2. Teh increadible performance of heq movements for some reason is not recognised/valued by WIS-dom.
3. Gold has risen quite a lot in value.

I have put together a basic piece on gold watches.

The realistic uplift in the new price for gold contents should be in the region of 3 to 5 times the gold value.
A wristwatch of 2.500 euros in inox made with 1.000 euros of gold would thus have a retail tag of 5.500 - 7.500 euros. Let us assume 6.500.

Appraisals are primairily done for inmediate replacement insurance price, meaning current jewelers list price.

A simplistic rule of thumb I found is that in general 20% of appraisal is probably a real bargain with 30% still being good value whereas 50% would have to be for something you réaly want.
This is true for ány juwelry, watch and does not take the perceived value by collectors into account.

The scrap value at a pawn broker is about 85% of the gold value. In the example being 850 Euros.

Back to inox versus gold this means that (without collectors- or social pressure factor):
800 euros is a bargain-good for the inox watch. Probably worth petty instant cash only.
2100 euros is a bargain-good for the gold watch. This watch has the same 'watch' content as the inox, contains 1000 euro gold worth 850 instant cash.
Although the gold watch has a higher material value, even at the 'bargain' price for pre-owned one still pays at least 300 euros 'uplift' on the (450 cash) value of the gold. Without taking the wannahave(on nót)-factor of the market into account 1650 Euros would thus be the sensible price.

Concise:
- Irrespective of list price, rarity-, or other specific factors, the rule of thumb would be to pay an uplift of 85% of gold value for a pre-owned watch in 18k.
- Deviation either up or down is due to market mechanism; social 'pressure' or - 'suction' =
the social sensitivity factor translated in money

The market is such that 18k heq watches are sometimes worth léss than their gold scrap value. The Omega Stardust has provided sad examples: in stainless steel they fetch about 2k euros and in gold several have been sold for little more = less that their scrap value resulting in them being smelted.... So the tip is to source the 18 heq wristwatches. Apart from being increadibly sexy to wear daily because it takes balls, you will get the wristwatch part for free :-*

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
386 Posts
HomoCaballus said:
The market is such that 18k heq watches are sometimes worth léss than their gold scrap value. The Omega Stardust has provided sad examples: in stainless steel they fetch about 2k euros and in gold several have been sold for little more = less that their scrap value resulting in them being smelted.... So the tip is to source the 18 heq wristwatches. Apart from being increadibly sexy to wear daily because it takes balls, you will get the wristwatch part for free :-*
I agree on that, but of course it only makes sense if you are indeed a HEQ fan and you have the money for it ...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price of most is WELL below that of mid range Swiss watches. Quite a few customers with the money for those :)

If you do not like quartz yes, than it is a no-go.
Do be aware that the mechanic hype is largely swiss marketing bull and you máy sell yoursels short on bullion :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only slightly less enigmatic but nevertheless not logical the same applies to mechanical movement.

I have searched and found a fitting example for this forum. A japanese seller offers a dozen Grand Seikos of which a handfull in solid 18K.
Although not as extreme as 18k heq, the prices do not remotely reflect the watch value + gold content: http://www.cticorp.co.jp/GS1.html

The 2007 article by Bryan Andersen is more applicable now than when he wrote it: http://www.gmtplusnine.com/2007/09/16/dirty-filthy-sexy-grand-seiko/

If anybody here is interested in a collection of very rare pristine soviet era Vostok Amphibian(s) or an original and complete Zlatoust tool kit

I am interested in selling mine. I know of some golden oportunities I would like to grab :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts