The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about a year ago I retired after 30 years of government service. My wife and I wanted to get a special watch for me but also needed to make sure that retirement income was going to be OK..... We just recently (finally) pulled the trigger on my grail watch - a Golden Tuna.

It just arrived....

We bought it through Buyee Yahoo Japan Auctions. It was packed very well....

First glimpse....

It is a 1978 watch. This is an important aspect to me just because I like the idea of having one from the first year they were available....

It's on what looks like a brand new Seiko strap with the original hardware swapped over..... Strap is a bit new and stiff feeling but I'm sure it will break in just fine.

It looks amazing. I have to say that no picture of these watches that I have seen over the years can really capture how nice they are - especially the hands!!

This one is not perfect. It has two chips on the shroud, some wear on the bezel, and some dings on the case.... But, it looks better in person than it did in the auction photos. It's almost too nice for me because I bought it with the intention of using it as a daily wear watch....

The titanium really does make a big difference in comfort when wearing it. It is thick and chunky but it is less noticeable than the steel 7549-7010 when worn....

As far as I can see, it has original lume with a couple of very small marks. Is that what you guys see? The lume is actually faintly visible throughout the night. That - along with it's overall condition for a 1978 - makes me think that it wasn't worn much and maybe it was stored in a drawer or something where the lume was not exposed to light very much?..

The crystal is pristine. Given that the battery on these should last 3-5 years at the most, I guess it's had some kind of a service fairly recently and maybe got a new crystal at that time.....

Anyway, it's awesome. It really feels like it is in a class by itself compared to the other 754x divers - which I guess it is being the top of the line available at that time. Here's my 754x collection at this point...

The 7548-7000 is from 1978. I got it as a gift from the original owner in 1988. This was the watch that started my Seiko affection. It's been relumed and has painted aftermarket hands on it but otherwise is original.
The 7548-7010 is from 1984. It is all original except for some train parts I had to swap in from a Pulsar donor watch to get it running again and the hands (the originals were damaged by water but I have them in storage).
The 7549-7010 is from 1979 and is completely original other than the crystal. I like the way the lume has turned grey on that one.

I'd be interested to hear from you experienced collectors out there about value. I see these Golden Tunas listed for all kinds of prices on EBay but I don't know what they actually sell for most of the time. I paid 1075 USD for this one - I just did the Buy It Now rather than bidding on it. Do you think this is a great price, a fair price, or a bit expensive given it's apparent condition?

In any case, I'm super happy with it!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Belated congratulations on your retirement and well done on sharing your enthusiasm. It's terrific that your wife was part of the process and now you both can share a timepiece that's as well loved over approximately the same length of time you toiled away. Wear it in good health as they say. It's a wonderful memento!

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
congrats on your retirement and beautiful watch! Being it is a "retirement watch" hopefully we won't see any new engravings on the case back. :LOL:

Wear it and enjoy it !

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the congratulations! ( And don't worry, I won't be engraving anything on this one......)

·
Special Member
4,613 Posts
Congratulations on you golden tuna and your retirement. It’s a lovely example, and I know what you mean about the hands. Wear in good health !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Great condition. Great pick. First year of production is a huge bonus

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Awesome purchase and congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don’t think a value could be placed. This is a monumental timepiece and memory keepsake. It’s a beautiful example of this model and I am jealous and grateful for your service. You deserve the joy this retirement gift will give you every time you wear it. Congratulations sir.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your kind comments. I continue to wear this one everyday and love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts