The Watch Site banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Humm...........Interesting and it turns out I have just such a specimen. I received this 6002 from May of 76' sometime ago. It had taken a hard blow to the crystal + case back shattering the crystal and mangling the hands. I wish I had take a before shot with the bent and tangled hands but I was in a hurry to see if it still ran so I straightened the hands a bit, popped in a used crystal, put on a temperary case back so the rotor could turn and gave it a few shakes and it was up and running. Simply amazing after seeing the blow it had sustained. I was under the impression that it had the wrong inner bezel but now I have to wonder. I had robbed the crown + stem for another watch and it's remained in my project box.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Speak of the devil........... This just surfaced on our favorite auction site........

Attachments

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
StartSomething said:
Fantastic discussion guys, so much great information in there!!

:dance:

:eek:

Do you by any chance have a pic of that column wheel? I would LOVE to see that!!

Best,
Hermann

This is the third one of these "A" movements I've had with this blued column wheel. This one is waiting for a rebuild, thus the dust and associated grot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a February 1970 6139-6000 Proof/Proof with the gold dial/black ring. It also has a three-piece second hand and the notched case. Day is Roman. Interestingly it has a person's name professionally printed on the dial under the word Automatic. If I recall correctly, it came from Australia.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
isupsyclone said:
I have a February 1970 6139-6000 Proof/Proof with the gold dial/black ring. It also has a three-piece second hand and the notched case. Day is Roman. Interestingly it has a person's name professionally printed on the dial under the word Automatic. If I recall correctly, it came from Australia.

hmm! Any pics? I've never seen a personalized 6139, though other models have been seen obviously.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very interested to read the first post about whether or not the 6139 existed in silver as a variant . I must admit, i have seen an example of the watch first hand, my brother had one from Asia in the mid 1970's but have never seen the model in any kind of brochure or advert. Has anyone got any such evidence and if so, which region is it from??

Jeff

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Polly bought this a few weeks ago, a 6002 with the black rotating ring and nice President bracelet. It did not occur to me it could be in original configuration but now you have me thinking. Mind you it's to late now

because it was a bit roapy with a butchered dial so I did this with it

sorry ;D

Mike

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have been collecting these watches for over ten years. I have seen THOUSANDS of them.

Every single yellow dial watch with a black rotating ring which I believe to be original has been a -6002. Most seem to come from the region of Australia. Nearly all have had the Stelux bracelet, or show endpiece footprints that indicate they HAD this bracelet at some point.

That can't be a coincidence...

I believe these to be completely legit variation, though with a limited distribution.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
moonraker said:
Very interested to read the first post about whether or not the 6139 existed in silver as a variant . I must admit, i have seen an example of the watch first hand, my brother had one from Asia in the mid 1970's but have never seen the model in any kind of brochure or advert. Has anyone got any such evidence and if so, which region is it from??

Jeff
To me, the dial number is all the evidence we need that the silver dial is legit. Been sayin' it for years! :great: It seems to always be a "Chronograph Automatic 6139-6030T" dial...same as the yellow and blue dials of the same configuration. Were they illegitimate, why would the carry the correct dial number??

They are clearly not fake dials. Or redials (hard to redial a sunburst). They are marked absolutely correctly...so what else could they be other than legit? Has anyone ever pulled one of these dials to look for the ink stamped date code on the back? That would seal the deal. No faker would do that...only the Seiko factory. And this dial likely would not fit on any other movement Seiko made. Soooo....

Anyone have a silver "Automatic 17j 6139-6009T" dialed watch??

·
Registered
146 Posts
No question that the silver 6139 are fake, more interested to know which region (s) they were sold in. My brothers came from Thailand i seem to remember, so wondering if just an asian/australasian watch?
Any help welcome.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
84Maroon said:
Can someone enlighten me as to what a "Three piece second hand" means?

Well, there's a two-piece and a one piece hand. The early "A" movements generally came with a two-part hand - shaft pressed into the hand. These were replaced with the one-piece non-adjustable hand with the "B" movement. Cheaper to make, is what is generally assumed. When we see an "A" movement with a later one-piece hand, its assumed that the watch was probably serviced and the hand replaced during servicing as a regular thing. It's seen a lot.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts