The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

It's huge! I tried to capture a few shots of it with some of the usual suspects. I must admit, it is going to take some getting used to. It dwarfs my SBBN017 Tuna. I love it though.

Actually, i'm in shock at how big it is... I'm looking forward to going out for a few beers with my friends to show it off.

The first thing I thought of was Crocodile Dundee when he says thats not a knife, this is a knife. I feel the same could be said about this divers watch. Thats not a dive watch, THIS is a dive watch. Ha ha ha.

I plan to take this one diving in the Caymans in February of 2011, until then here is my new desk diver!

·
Registered
84 Posts
OMG! So SWEET! 8) Congrats!!!!!!!! I want one so bad! :'(

BTW What's the case diameter? Katsu-san says it's about 48mm but it looks a little larger than the MM, lug tip to lug tip that is.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 48mm Wide for sure. I will measure it from all angles later today. Actually interesting point, because it's so top heavy i'm finding it wears better on the 7th notch. Normally I notch at the 6th hole, but this one feels better on my wrist notched at the 7th hole. It's snug, but seems to wear better on the 7th hole. I've had it now for 45 minutes, so anything I say today could change. :) Ha ha

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Boston Jay, MY BIG CONGRATULATIONS, bro! This is the BIG KAHUNNA of all diver's, outhere. Certainly not for the faint of heart.

This is an awesome purchase you made. I'm telling you - you won't ever regret with that one.

I'm so happy for you, bro. I knew how bad you wanted this one.

As for the diameter, here is the low down: any big QUARTZ tuna (7549 600m and all the 1000m 7C46 powered) are exactly 48mm wide, with all of their shrouds interchangeable.

As for the Emperor, it measures squarely 51mm wide. It's roughly exact like the SBDX005 Historical 600m reissued tuna 2000. The original Kahunna - 6159-7010 from the 70's - measured around 49mm~50mm, AFAIK.

Congratulations, once again! Welcome to the Emperor Club, man! O0

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bro! I'm still in shock that I finally own it! I'll try to get some better pics as the days of the week unfold. The crown action is so smooth! The bezel insert has a coating on it... I need to research what the coating is. Man this watch is named perfectly. The Emperor! :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ted, I plan to get a few underwater shots for sure. This past February I was wearing a SKX009 and forgot to do just that. BTW, thanks for inspiring me to put the MM300 Strap on the Blue Sumo! Your pics drove me to the purchase. Actually I feel bad for my other watches right now. It will be weeks before they see wrist time again. :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Jay, "big" is an understatement for that watch! It looks just as huge as the AutoZilla (or maybe even bigger, if that is possible)!
Congrats on such a cool watch!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Jan-10 said:
Hi Ted, I plan to get a few underwater shots for sure. This past February I was wearing a SKX009 and forgot to do just that. BTW, thanks for inspiring me to put the MM300 Strap on the Blue Sumo! Your pics drove me to the purchase. Actually I feel bad for my other watches right now. It will be weeks before they see wrist time again. :)
Cool, looking forward to seeing some underwater shots! I actually switched my blue Sumo back to the MM300 strap last night. Something about 94 degree fahrenheit weather and metal bracelets just doesn't feel too comfy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Luw! It's really nice to handle off the wrist with it buckled. The build quality is amazing. At this point i've had it just shy of two hours and i'm still in awe of it's presence.

Ted I hear yah on the strap change in the heat. During my journey thus far I find I only wear the bracelets when I want to show off the watch as a shiny expensive possession. Normally, for day to day wear, I'm a strap guy.

The MM300 & The Sumo do look great on bracelets though. :) I sold off my Anvil, so I might get another one for the Sumo to switch it up here and there.

I have a semi active lifestyle out of the office, so the straps are more practical.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jeremiah! This grail Run gave me Grey Hair! :) I'm really at ease and so happy with it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Galpo- Thanks mate! I feel like a special opps guy when wearing this watch. Truth be told- i'm a software geek. Ha ha

Aurelius- After getting used to the SBBN017 you will be blown away at the size of this beast. The SBBN017 is still going to be my everyday love. Don't think for a second it will make the SBBn017 obsolete if you buy the Emporer.

Kohym- Your posts when deciding on the Emperor were part of what started my obsession with this model. :)

JohnN- Thanks for the congrats! It was a long grail run.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Now I'm curious: would anyone have a side by side comparison shot between the Emperor and an AutoZilla? Which one is the biggest :-\ ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Jan-10 said:
Galpo- Thanks mate! I feel like a special opps guy when wearing this watch. Truth be told- i'm a software geek. Ha ha

Aurelius- After getting used to the SBBN017 you will be blown away at the size of this beast. The SBBN017 is still going to be my everyday love. Don't think for a second it will make the SBBn017 obsolete if you buy the Emporer.

Kohym- Your posts when deciding on the Emperor were part of what started my obsession with this model. :)

JohnN- Thanks for the congrats! It was a long grail run.
ah...so i contributed to your decision makin process?? ;)

mine is on sharkskin mesh and yes, the stealth look is 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts