The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author: Martback

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1235723661/1235759498/The+elusive+Motorist

The Seiko Motorist is a variant of the Seiko Harmony, which is essentially a ladies watch series. It uses the 205 caliber which is also a smaller size caliber usually used in ladies watches. However, at 37mm it is a mans size watch, especially if you relate it to other watches in the early 60s. I would also assume that a drivers watch in Japan almost 50 years ago would be appropriate in the male market rather than in the female market. The Motorist was introduced in 1964 and is a fairly low end watch from a technical and cost perspective. Priced at JPY6,500, it would cost about as much as a Seiko Champion. However, the tilted dial and the asymmetrical case tried to position it as a stylish drivers watch, similar to the drivers watches of the 30s in the US market.

My Motorist has a bit of discoloration on the dial but as it is very evenly distributed and matches the dial edge decoration, I think it actually improves the watch.

Asymmetrical case for better visibility when driving.

Side shot shows asymmetry. The case has a 20 micron gold plating so the discoloration should come off quite well.

Caseback with distinct motorist logo, a bit similar to the alpinist script.

A lot of design elements on the Motorist borrowed from (or provided to) this Champion model.

/ martin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Wow :clap:

Fantastic watches. This is not meant to be a facetious question, but wouldn't the Motorist only suit people who wear a watch on their left wrist ? It looks as if it might be harder to read on the right wrist.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow :clap:

Fantastic watches. This is not meant to be a facetious question, but wouldn't the Motorist only suit people who wear a watch on their left wrist ? It looks as if it might be harder to read on the right wrist.
definitely meant to be worn on the left wrist. I guess they can't please everyone, so they went with the majority - left wearers.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
It really does have some interesting design elements that key it to the auto enthusiast. I really like the subtle tire tread pattern "embossed" on the leather band, a feature used extensively in todays auto inspired timepieces

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just became aware of this style of watch earlier today when I spotted a "driving watch" Omega on eBay. Little did I know that I'd see a Seiko version as well. In modern times, the only watches I can recall with a slanted dial are runner's watches (Seiko included).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.