The Watch Site banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I recently received one of the new "Pricey" aftermarket 6139 Speedtimer bracelets. Was it worth it??

At first glance it looks like a very good reproduction bracelet but lets size it up against an original bracelet and see how it compares............
On top is the new reproduction bracelet. On bottom we have an original bracelet. The only major difference is the number of links. The original has had some links removed.

Report this image

A closer look at the clasps reveals a slight difference in the size of the Seiko + Sports 5 Text. You probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you compare it side by side with an original.

Report this image

As we venture into more "In Depth WISdom" when it comes to Speedtimer bracelets it's important to note that there are actually 2 different original versions of the Speedtimer bracelets: The Early Version + the Late Version. From the top side they look identical. From the underside we can note that the early version's end links are stamped 6139 600 while the later version end links are stamped XAA 301. In the photo below we see the Early Version next to the the Aftermarket Version. The end link as been reproduced very well with only a noticeable difference in the font of the stamping.
Early Original on left - Aftermarket on right.

Report this image

Aftermarket on top, Late original version in middle, and Early version on bottom..............

Report this image

The second difference we notice is the length of the underside of the clasp. On the early bracelet it is shorter and measures 35mm. On the later Version and the Aftermarket Version it is longer and measures 40mm.
Aftermarket bracelet on top. Early original bracelet on bottom

Report this image

The 3rd and final difference we notice is on the end link of the bracelet that attaches to the end link for the case. On the Early original version it's just 2 links that are secured to the case end link by the spring bar. On the Late Original version and the Aftermarket version there are actually 2 small tabs that help secure the bracelet to the end link along with the spring bar.
Aftermarket on top - Early original on bottom

Report this image

Early Original on Left, Late Original in middle, + Aftermarket on right

Report this image

Aftermarket on top, Late Original in the middle, + Early Original on bottom

Report this image

Aftermarket on top, Late Original in the middle, + Early Original on bottom

Report this image

I can't give any exact info regarding when the early Speedtimer bracelet was replaced by the Late Speedtimer bracelet but I can narrow it down a bit. The Early bracelet is from a Speedtimer dated June of 69' while the later version is dated from a Speedtimer from Nov 70'.

What's the Final Verdict? The Aftermarket Speedtimer bracelet is a Very Good reproduction bracelet. Who ever created this bracelet did their homework and the quality of the bracelet is Top Notch! Is it worth what they are asking?? I'd have to say no but hopefully prices will drop as more suppliers come on line. The bracelet I bought was from a seller in the Philippians while it was dropped shipped from Singapore.

There's only one question left in my mind: Who's bracelet is it??........:smiley:

·
Registered
134 Posts
great study am just about to hit the button on buying what is thought to be an original but now think it is not! The copies are very good

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Another Link to WISdom............
I mounted up the bracelet and have worn it for a couple of days. I would have to say it is as comparable in comfort as an original. I will note that the end links don't fit as flush as I would like but only a persnickety WISer like us would notice and in the scheme of things not a deal breaker for me. I still feel the price is about twice what the bracelet is worth but hopefully prices will drop due to lack of sales at the current price level. Time will tell...........:)

When it comes to removing links it's such a tight fit that you'll almost need a pair of link removing pliers. A spring bar tool is just not stout enough.

Now to link interchangeability: The issue with the incompatibility is the aftermarket link will insert in the Original link but the original link will not insert correctly in the Aftermarket link due to the inner links being too wide.

Aftermarket link on left, Original on right:

Original Link on left, Aftermarket on right:

As you can see in this photo the fit is tight and you're unable to re-insert the link clip. This is where, with a little Tweaking, by filing down the connecting links, you could probably make it work......:)

As you can see in this photo the link clips are very similar but the finish is a little rougher on the Aftermarket clip. I discovered smoothing out the finish with 1500 grit sand paper did help and made it easier to re-install them.
Aftermarket on top, Original on bottom:

Hopefully, now that you're all "Linked up", you'll be able to tell the difference between and Aftermarket bracelet and an Original bracelet. This should help everyone decide on which route to take when pursuing one of these bracelets or to distinguish what's what when purchasing one of these Speedtimer bracelets ...................:)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
By the way sir this is spectacular work! I use it to help me try to slog through the vintage morass that is the 6139 world.

Thank you Tom!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Tom what can be said?? This is such a Gift, Never any thing close to the 6139-600x Seiko Chrono. So much to know/Learn imo More than any other Seiko.

Now with your Work and Others Contributing with there Knowledge its seems there may be a Better Understanding Of This "Never Ending Effort to Understand just what is OEM in the many Models offered in the 6139-600x. 'A Daunting Tasks' to say the Least. Thank you For your Accomplishment of passing True Facts about a Loved Vintage Seiko that is a Big Part of Bringing an understanding of the First Chronometer to us all. Russell

·
Poet Laureate
810 Posts
This is a fantastic resource. Thank you! I'll be referring to this often.

Getting meta for a moment: Having this information reside in a forum thread is a blessing and a curse. It's not very discoverable. If someone sets out to learn about these watches and hasn't been a regular SCWF participant, there's a good chance they wouldn't find it
On the other hand, it keeps the information in the hands of a dedicated minority, hard to find if you don't know where to look. The software developer in me wants to see this published in a more accesible format: a website that's easily found, well organized, searchable and comprehensive. On the other hand, maybe this is the best place for it, where you're not going to find it without some knowledge of the community and it's somewhat of a secret. *Shrug*

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Tom what can be said?? This is such a Gift, Never any thing close to the 6139-600x Seiko Chrono. So much to know/Learn imo More than any other Seiko.

Now with your Work and Others Contributing with there Knowledge its seems there may be a Better Understanding Of This "Never Ending Effort to Understand just what is OEM in the many Models offered in the 6139-600x. 'A Daunting Tasks' to say the Least. Thank you For your Accomplishment of passing True Facts about a Loved Vintage Seiko that is a Big Part of Bringing an understanding of the First Chronometer to us all. Russell

Thank you Russell for your nice comments!

As you can tell this is my Favorite Seiko Series which stems from my longing for a Yellow dial 6139-6005 as a kid and finally was able to purchase one Brand New back in 76'........:)

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is a fantastic resource. Thank you! I'll be referring to this often.

Getting meta for a moment: Having this information reside in a forum thread is a blessing and a curse. It's not very discoverable. If someone sets out to learn about these watches and hasn't been a regular SCWF participant, there's a good chance they wouldn't find it
On the other hand, it keeps the information in the hands of a dedicated minority, hard to find if you don't know where to look. The software developer in me wants to see this published in a more accesible format: a website that's easily found, well organized, searchable and comprehensive. On the other hand, maybe this is the best place for it, where you're not going to find it without some knowledge of the community and it's somewhat of a secret. *Shrug*

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you for your thoughts!

You have some very valid points. It helps everyone when information is shared but on the other hand it also fuels the fire and drives prices up. Long gone are the days with plenty of "original" choices at affordable prices.............

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Thank you so much Tom for the exhaustive work you have done for yourself that in turn benefits the hobby, all prospective buyers and of course as remarkable works of research and authentication. These works are part of what makes SCWF "the forum to visit" when 6139-×××× info is needed. It is truly valuable as are you to our forum. Thanks for sharing your talents with us !

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did any of these models come with a chicklet bracelet?

Yes, some of the very early "Proofs" from 69' are reported to have come on a chicklet bracelet. This knowledge came about after I put the review together.

The text in the review is maxed out at the moment with no additional room to add anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wristband Seiko Message Watch

Hello, SeikoPsycho (great name by the way). I have owned a Seiko message watch from 1995 when I bought it for work. I have only recently replaced a battery and a little bit to my pleasant surprise, the watch works perfectly. Even 2020 is available as a date :). The only problem is the disintegrated band. I have read you may have some. Would it be possible to buy one from you? I live in the Czech Republic so it would have to travel a bit :). Thanks a lot, Pavel Ivanyi

Pavel Iványi

Kobylín 20
644 00 Brno
Czech Republic

Tel 00420 737 20 44 55
Skype pavel.ivanyi

21 - 35 of 35 Posts