The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow WIS enthusiasts! I have yet another odd project that I'm excited about.

The story goes like this. I was watching a Spencer Klein video in early December where he was discussing blue Pogue dials in reference to a question someone sent in. As he was going through a small assortment of dials on his bench, he displayed an odd blue Pogue dial that had the Chrysler Corp star and "Airtemp" painted on the dial. This immediately got my attention because I have never seen a vintage Seiko that ever had a company logo on the dial: a so-called "promotional" or “logo” watch – like the famous Rolex Air-King with the Domino’s Pizza logo. I did some searching and found that there is an example of a 6139-8029 with a “Monogram Distinguished Dealer” logo on it that was discussed on our forum back in 2017 (Seiko 6139-8029 with Monogram logo on the dial). But this is all that I have been able to find.

Do did a blue Pogue logo watch ever get built? Was the dial that Spencer has just a prototype? I sent him an email about it, and he said it was a NOS dial that he has had for ages through some watch lot purchase in the past. So, we made a deal, a dial exchange. I had a pristine blue dial from a project watch that I sent to him in exchange. After almost 3 weeks for the USPO Priority package to get to me from Colorado (outrageous delays still in the US), I have it in hand.

Most of you probably don’t know about Airtemp and even as a car guy I wasn’t very familiar with the company. I did a little more digging and found this very detailed article about the company: A Brief History of Chrysler Airtemp. Their origin stems from Walter Chrysler himself when he wanted to do the HVAC for his new art deco building design masterpiece in NYC in the late 1920s. He didn’t like the contemporary equipment available at the time, so he had some of his engineering staff do “something better”. The result is the Airtemp Corp under Chrysler and the world’s first fully airconditioned skyscraper. The company, up until the late 1970s, was very successful engineering and producing A/C products for residential, commercial, military, automotive, and aircraft systems. Not too shabby.

If you read the article to the end you will see that in 1969 and 1970 Airtemp set new sales records and was screaming along quite well. However, by 1975 they company was beginning to flounder due to lower-priced competition and lower-priced (and quality) competition from Fedders. Ultimately the company was sold to Fedders in the 1980s but 1975 was its last full year under Chrysler. I did a Google search and the name still seems to exist on modern products, but likely everything is made in Asia as “none of the US facilities appear to have survived”.

This is my hypothesis: This dial was originally intended to be used with a sales award watch. The date on the dial is April of 1973. My guess is that based on the company sales success in 1969 and 1970, someone in HR or promotions decided it would make sense to have an award watch made. It makes sense also to contact Seiko who were producing these cool newish racing chronographs in 1973 (or 1972) when Seiko removed the 70m RESIST dial text so there would be room to put the logo on the dial. My guess too is that this is from an international arm of the company that would be very familiar with the 6139. It could have also been a retirement watch for employees in the engineering side of the company.

So here is the dial front and back:

I found an original Airtemp patch online on OFAS. Here it is with the dial:

I have a parts watch that I bought this year that turned out too nice to part out, a 1976 -6005. So I'm going to do a dial swap and make the promo Airtemp Pogue that never was. I'll keep the original dial so it can always go back:

The only piece that I will be missing is the right caseback. If anyone has a -6002/7/9 (one that supports the CHRONOGRAPH AUTOMATIC dial) from early 1973 please PM me!
I will keep you updated as this moves along. Right now I have a few too many projects going on, so this will have to wait for a little bit.

·
Craftsman
3,824 Posts
Interesting find and story behind it Tod.
A 6009 case back would not be correct for a chronograph automatic dial. The 6009's were only around in 69' + 70' and only came with "automatic" resist dials.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting find and story behind it Tod.
A 6009 case back would not be correct for a chronograph automatic dial. The 6009's were only around in 69' + 70' and only came with "automatic" resist dials.
Ahhh Tom, good point. Am I looking just for a -6002 then? If you have one in your parts bin please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Special Member
12,578 Posts
another great build in progress Todd. Nice job on the dial. I'm surprised Spencer hadn't done anything with it after all these years ...

·
Craftsman
3,824 Posts
Ahhh Tom, good point. Am I looking just for a -6002 then? If you have one in your parts bin please let me know.

Ideally, you'd be looking for a 6002 from April of 73'. I'll have a look over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally, you'd be looking for a 6002 from April of 73'. I'll have a look over the weekend and see what I can come up with.
Excellent, thank you Tom.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pardon my ignorance but is that dial not just a home made project? It looks hand done to me and not printed?

Sure, it could have been done at any time. But the evidence suggests it was done a long time ago, and on a new dial at the time. But this might have been a prototype, it does look a little sloppy. I don’t know how well 3rd party dial printing was done in the early 1970s. I need to study some more examples.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Very cool find my friend
Thank you for sharing this with us
God Bless,John
Stay safe out there
Thank you this info
Super cool story about this
Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: CombatID

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks to the generosity of Tom R. Who sent me the right caseback for the project. The next stage will start when I get a few other things finished.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Ok, thanks to the generosity of Tom R. Who sent me the right caseback for the project. The next stage will start when I get a few other things finished.

Gorgeous watch
I would love to trade u for that Roman numeral day wheel if u are interested
Following this build closely
God Bless,John
Thank u for sharing it with us

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok folks, more on the way. John just finished the watch and I’m closing in on the story of the role Seiko had in these early dials. Stay tuned for a part 2 as a separate thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts