The Watch Site banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time this has happened to me. Out Christmas shopping yesterday in a part of the coast I don't visit often, I search Google Maps for watch repair shops. In an out-of-the-way strip mall I find one, and stop by to see what treasures I can unearth. It's a clock repair place run by two Japanese men who don't like to turn the lights on and seemingly don't like to be bothered by customers. How they're still in business, I don't know.
I ask them coyly about vintage watches and whether they have anything I can buy. They try their hardest to chase me out of the store without buying anything but I'm persistent. I carefully inspect everything in the cases. It's mostly cheap Chinese fashion watches and clock radios. There's a case with an assortment of newer Casios, and amongst them:

Can you spot 'em? Two NOS Casios that have been sitting there unsold for 30 years! I casually made a low ball offer, threatened to walk a couple times and ended up buying them for half the sticker price with a promise I'd take them as-is with no returns.

The Casio FT100W Fish En Time, released in 1992 is a cool one with moon phase, moon age, and some kind of fish predicting feature. The misspelling (did they mean Fishin' Time?) makes it a quirky sought after model by collectors.

The DBA-80 Databank Phone Dialer was release in 1987. It's has a telememo feature that lets you store phone numbers. At the press of a button, it plays the dial tones from a little speaker between the front buttons that will actual cause a phone to dial the number. Yes, you could dial a phone with your watch! Sadly, when I got it home I found the sound is not working and I haven't been able to repair it :(

Also curious, they had a a huge case of dead stock bracelets. These were mostly Spiedel and cheap Chinese replacement bracelets. Amongst them were some Seiko signed bracelets

The shoddy stamped text on the clasp made me believe these are fake, so I didn't buy them, but I'd be happy to be told otherwise. What do you think?

As I said, this is the second time something like this has happened to me. I found three 25 year old NOS Casios, including a Casio MAP-100 Map Meter, at a cheap watch repair place in Encino back in April and flipped them for a tidy profit.

How do these places stay in business?

·
Administrator
33,827 Posts
Looks like a good visit Brad, did they give you the stands as well ?

I agree that the bracelets look dodgy.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is the second time this has happened to me. Out Christmas shopping yesterday in a part of the coast I don't visit often, I search Google Maps for watch repair shops. In an out-of-the-way strip mall I find one, and stop by to see what treasures I can unearth. It's a clock repair place run by two Japanese men who don't like to turn the lights on and seemingly don't like to be bothered by customers. How they're still in business, I don't know.

I ask them coyly about vintage watches and whether they have anything I can buy. They try their hardest to chase me out of the store without buying anything but I'm persistent. I carefully inspect everything in the cases. It's mostly cheap Chinese fashion watches and clock radios. There's a case with an assortment of newer Casios, and amongst them:

Can you spot 'em? Two NOS Casios that have been sitting there unsold for 30 years! I casually made a low ball offer, threatened to walk a couple times and ended up buying them for half the sticker price with a promise I'd take them as-is with no returns.

The Casio FT100W Fish En Time, released in 1992 is a cool one with moon phase, moon age, and some kind of fish predicting feature. The misspelling (did they mean Fishin' Time?) makes it a quirky sought after model by collectors.

The DBA-80 Databank Phone Dialer was release in 1987. It's has a telememo feature that lets you store phone numbers. At the press of a button, it plays the dial tones from a little speaker between the front buttons that will actual cause a phone to dial the number. Yes, you could dial a phone with your watch! Sadly, when I got it home I found the sound is not working and I haven't been able to repair it :(

Also curious, they had a a huge case of dead stock bracelets. These were mostly Spiedel and cheap Chinese replacement bracelets. Amongst them were some Seiko signed bracelets

The shoddy stamped text on the clasp made me believe these are fake, so I didn't buy them, but I'd be happy to be told otherwise. What do you think?

As I said, this is the second time something like this has happened to me. I found three 25 year old NOS Casios, including a Casio MAP-100 Map Meter, at a cheap watch repair place in Encino back in April and flipped them for a tidy profit.

How do these places stay in business?
How they stay in business you ask? I've wondered this about a multitude of businesses that have apparently zero customer flow, and the answer is usually Laundering, not clothing if you catch my drift.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,572 Posts
Looks like you had a lot of fun digging out the buried treasure. Always a fun adventure visiting Old Clock and Watch Shops as you never know what you might find.

·
Special Member
525 Posts
Great find. I still hope that someday I'd come across a DW-5000C sitting forgotten in a watch case or drawer in my neck of the woods!

·
Poet Laureate
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great find. I still hope that someday I'd come across a DW-5000C sitting forgotten in a watch case or drawer in my neck of the woods!
Haha, I found one on Craigslist a couple months ago
Flipped it though

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts