The Watch Site banner
621 - 640 of 656 Posts

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts
^ ^ ^ Excellent pickup :) Looks like an original Seiko SOG 7005 Dial dropped into a 6119 or 6106 case? I have thought about doing a similar mod as I always wanted to see what a SOG would look like with a rotating bezel. I like the look but not with that Bezel Insert. If you don't like the mod it would be fairly easy and cheap to pick up a correct 7005 case and convert it back to an original SOG if so desired.

Personally I really like it :)

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Hoped you are chiming in Kyle. It's hard to tell from the pics what it is really. Caseback says the correct 7005-8030, but this could be swapped too. Will be interesting to see this for real. Will post some pics asap. Good idea with the regular 7005 case. Will try to source one, just in case (what a wordplay)...

·
Registered
387 Posts
That is really cool. I have thought the same as Kyle on the bezel mod. I think it would be a neat one.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts
The 7005 Dial and Hands look to be in Great Shape :) There are lots of Bezel Inserts out there that look great with Military Dials. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Bezel Insert that would look great with a SOG Dial?

·
Registered
290 Posts
A navigator 12h bezel insert would make the most sense
Agree, I think case is 7005 since crown is at 3.
Bezel from 6117 navigator/ 61xx sports diver with aftermarket insert would make sense.
They all use 310T crystal so it couldve at least fit.
if that’s the case I might have an original 803x bezel somewhere in my pile.

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
The watch arrived yesterday. The incorrect bezel is glued to the case, I think I will try to get it off. Someone said it does look like a Benarus Deep Dive bezel, don't know if this is true. It does have similarities. The dial and hands are in nice condition, also the case itself. Lume looks charged greenish outside and vanilla inside, well faded. Will give her a full service and look for a bezel in the meantime. Anyone has one as spare? Here are some pics.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The watch arrived yesterday. The incorrect bezel is glued to the case, I think I will try to get it off. Someone said it does look like a Benarus Deep Dive bezel, don't know if this is true. It does have similarities. The dial and hands are in nice condition, also the case itself. Lume looks charged greenish outside and vanilla inside, well faded. Will give her a full service and look for a bezel in the meantime. Anyone has one as spare? Here are some pics.
View attachment 473762 View attachment 473763 View attachment 473764
That looks really sharp. Very nice pickup, congrats! I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just a thought, @Phil_G ... Did the case end up being a 7005? I did see a couple of 7005 bezels on ebay. Also thought a 6106 sport diver insert would look nice, though I don't know if it would be the right size and might be hard to find.

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Hi @condor97 the case is a 7005 indeed. I couldn’t find just the bezel on ebay. To be honest I am not sure by now if I will change the bezel. It does look quite good in real. Even my watchmaker thought that it is a nice fit. But I would like to have a 7005 bezel just for the case I wanna change it back. Other option is a complete 7005 case to just swap the inside and keep this case with the wrong bezel intact.
Edit: Just found them searching the bay with .com ending. They didn‘t show up in the app even with global search.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi @condor97 the case is a 7005 indeed. I couldn’t find just the bezel on ebay. To be honest I am not sure by now if I will change the bezel. It does look quite good in real. Even my watchmaker thought that it is a nice fit. But I would like to have a 7005 bezel just for the case I wanna change it back. Other option is a complete 7005 case to just swap the inside and keep this case with the wrong bezel intact.
Edit: Just found them searching the bay with .com ending. They didn‘t show up in the app even with global search.
I agree it does look pretty good on there. I will keep my eyes open for inserts.

Edit: From what I found, outer measurement is 36.5 mm and inner is 30 mm.

Edit#2: @Phil_G here is a reference for you...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I think the watch looks great, I like the bezel as is, congratulations on a great find!
I think the watch looks great, I like the bezel as is, congratulations on a great find!
Aloha Phil ,
Over all looks great and clean too. If its a ..... SOG Case, fine another 7005 Case and
just use it and leave this one alone.
I am still looking for a ... Good Dial for one I have had for so long here that I put
together sometime ago. It's been a year and a half since I di it now.
Louis / LongBike

·
Registered
23 Posts

There is considerable debate on IG whether this is Jerry Mad Dog Shriver in the photo or Not.

A few observations of the photo. In the photo is definitely 20th Special Operations Squadron and MOH recipient James Fleming in front with his hand on the door. James Fleming described Shriver as, "the quintessential warrior-loner, anti-social, possessed by what he was doing, the best teammate, always training, constantly training.” On another occasion Fleming stated “Shriver convinced me that for the rest of my life I would not go into a bar and cross someone I didn't know."

The Same Huey is in several photos as can be seen by the painted white marks on the edge of the door. Many have commented on the glasses and at first the glasses also threw me off as there are no other photos of Mad Dog wearing glasses. I believe it is Very Possible Mad Dog did wear glasses but took them off for photos. Others have commented that Mad Dog never carried an AK-47 but preferred an M3. From my understanding Mad Dog used a wide assortment of weapons including a Marlin Lever Gun so an AK is certainly very possible.

But I also have many Doubts? I do not know his height but most people who knew him described Shriver as "Tall". In the photo the person looks short (perhaps the perspective of the photograph)???

If it is Not Mad Dog then Who Is It?

Here is the link to the source:

http://www.vva1028mo.com/twww-harding.html

Sorry Kyle, but the guy sitting on the chopper is not Shriver. It's just not him. I was at FOB#2 when he was there.
Also, SF enlisted could not go through SF Training if you had less than 20/20 vision. So, no glasses.
A friend of mine Doug Godshall, who is the present president of the Special Operations Association, got into SF Training Group but was kicked out when they learned he wore glasses. Later, when he arrived in VN, because he had had some SF training, they allowed him to volunteer for SOG even though he required glasses. By the latter half of 1968, SOG had lost so many men, they began recruiting from other airborne units if they had combat experience. The guy in the photo was either an officer, who could wear glasses, or he was taken from another airborne unit, and attached to SOG. I knew several recon guys who were not SF qualified but were on recon teams. The other 2 photos are obviously Shriver. Hope that helps.

Take care, Tim Schaaf

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry Kyle, but the guy sitting on the chopper is not Shriver. It's just not him. I was at FOB#2 when he was there.
Also, SF enlisted could not go through SF Training if you had less than 20/20 vision. So, no glasses.
A friend of mine Doug Godshall, who is the present president of the Special Operations Association, got into SF Training Group but was kicked out when they learned he wore glasses. Later, when he arrived in VN, because he had had some SF training, they allowed him to volunteer for SOG even though he required glasses. By the latter half of 1968, SOG had lost so many men, they began recruiting from other airborne units if they had combat experience. The guy in the photo was either an officer, who could wear glasses, or he was taken from another airborne unit, and attached to SOG. I knew several recon guys who were not SF qualified but were on recon teams. The other 2 photos are obviously Shriver. Hope that helps.

Take care, Tim Schaaf
Good to see you again. Thanks for the information. Hope the book is coming along ok.

·
Special Member
4,293 Posts
I don't know why you wouldn't keep it, it's terrific! Obviously you don't have to wear it all the time but to me, it's just a nice change of pace from all the divers, pilot, chronos, dress and field watches out there.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Nice one Phil ,
I still have a ....... -8020 that was ..... Water Damaged on the Dial and Hands that I still need to find
a good dial but still hopeful yet.
Louis

621 - 640 of 656 Posts