The Watch Site banner
601 - 620 of 656 Posts

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts
Thanks for posting :) The Seiko 6106-8100 is a stunning watch. The Dial color is hard to describe but must be seen in person to be fully appreciated - a charcoal grey with copper brown tones. My 6106 is Daini made and has the original coffee colored lume. Here is my 6106-8109 on an Early Olongapo US Navy Bracelet along with a Randall Model 14 Attack special edition Vietnam Veteran combat knife with Brown Micarta Handle (only 500 were made) :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Stunning watch and bracelet. As I suspect there is probably quite a bit overlap between CISO issues watch and service member purchased on their own from PX.

However if this 6106 is indeed CISO issued wouldn’t that mean it’s also just as much as SOG watch as the other three commonly accepted model?

“Michael O’Byrne’s Counter Insurgency Support Office (CISO) procured Seiko watch (serial numbered 852824) that was issued to him during his tour. The veteran had added a general direction W.C.CO. compass to the wrist band.

In 1969, Michael D. O’Byrne served with 5th Special Forces Group (ABN), Project Gamma (B-57) and later transferred to Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observations Group (MAC V SOG), Command and Control North (CCN), as the Special Projects Officer until he joined Recon Team Rhode Island.”

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts
However if this 6106 is indeed CISO issued wouldn’t that mean it’s also just as much as SOG watch as the other three commonly accepted model?
I believe this is entirely possible but more 6106s would need to surface from SOG to be considered likely. There is new information that a Seiko Watch was possibly "Issued" to another Military Unit other than MACV SOG during the Vietnam War :)

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts

There is considerable debate on IG whether this is Jerry Mad Dog Shriver in the photo or Not.

A few observations of the photo. In the photo is definitely 20th Special Operations Squadron and MOH recipient James Fleming in front with his hand on the door. James Fleming described Shriver as, "the quintessential warrior-loner, anti-social, possessed by what he was doing, the best teammate, always training, constantly training.” On another occasion Fleming stated “Shriver convinced me that for the rest of my life I would not go into a bar and cross someone I didn't know."

The Same Huey is in several photos as can be seen by the painted white marks on the edge of the door. Many have commented on the glasses and at first the glasses also threw me off as there are no other photos of Mad Dog wearing glasses. I believe it is Very Possible Mad Dog did wear glasses but took them off for photos. Others have commented that Mad Dog never carried an AK-47 but preferred an M3. From my understanding Mad Dog used a wide assortment of weapons including a Marlin Lever Gun so an AK is certainly very possible.

But I also have many Doubts? I do not know his height but most people who knew him described Shriver as "Tall". In the photo the person looks short (perhaps the perspective of the photograph)???

If it is Not Mad Dog then Who Is It?

Here is the link to the source:

http://www.vva1028mo.com/twww-harding.html

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts
After looking closely at the above 2 photographs they certainly look like they were taken at the same time (different angles). Notice the scarf around his neck (almost identical knot) and cord coming out from under his shirt and into his pocket. Also looks like the same Silva Jungle Wrist Compass on his wrist.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a collection of Vietnam books, app. 250, used to collect them back in the 70's and 80's. always looked for information about watches but very seldom found something. books just collecting dust now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone! Have been a fan of this thread for months and I have finally decide to see if anyone could help me out with a question I had on one of my seikos. I picked up a 6119-8100 from the family of a veteran. It was rough and missing the case back but figured the dial was cool enough to spend the $20. Soon after I discovered this thread and was very pleased with my decision. I received a photo (from the same seller) a couple weeks later with the second watch (6119-8090). Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity. I noticed that all the other 6119-8090s, with or without, the SOG style dial had a different style case back. And that mine has the 6119-8093 style. Although it is clearly stamped 6119-8090. It also has a 6119A movement inside. That case back does not have any service marks inside to suggest a donor movement. If anyone has any information on this it would be much appreciated.
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory
Finger Gesture Body jewelry Wrist Thumb

·
Special Member
3,178 Posts

There is considerable debate on IG whether this is Jerry Mad Dog Shriver in the photo or Not.

A few observations of the photo. In the photo is definitely 20th Special Operations Squadron and MOH recipient James Fleming in front of the door. James Fleming described Shriver as, "the quintessential warrior-loner, anti-social, possessed by what he was doing, the best teammate, always training, constantly training.” On another occasion Fleming stated “Shriver convinced me that for the rest of my life I would not go into a bar and cross someone I didn't know."

The Same Huey is in several photos as can be seen by the painted white marks on the edge of the door. Many have commented on the glasses and at first the glasses also threw me off as there are no other photos of Mad Dog wearing glasses. I believe it is Very Possible Mad Dog did wear glasses but took them off for photos. Others have commented that Mad Dog never carried an AK-47 but preferred an M3. From my understanding Mad Dog used a wide assortment of weapons including a Marlin Lever Gun so an AK is certainly very possible.

But I also have many Doubts? I do not know his height but most described Shriver as "Tall" with someone who knew him saying 6 ft. In the photo the person looks much shorter (perhaps the perspective of the photograph)???

If it is Not Mad Dog then Who Is It?

Here is the link to the source:

http://www.vva1028mo.com/twww-harding.html

Hey Kyle, wanted to comment on the height issue. Pretty sure Mad Dog is relaxed and leaning his butt on the edge of the Huey doorway. Being almost 6-3 myself, I find it almost natural to lean on or against something.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,505 Posts
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the perspective on the photo. I am 6-4 but over the years gravity has shrunk me a bit so I believe I am now closer to 6-3 :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey everyone! Have been a fan of this thread for months and I have finally decide to see if anyone could help me out with a question I had on one of my seikos. I picked up a 6119-8100 from the family of a veteran. It was rough and missing the case back but figured the dial was cool enough to spend the $20. Soon after I discovered this thread and was very pleased with my decision. I received a photo (from the same seller) a couple weeks later with the second watch (6119-8090). Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity. I noticed that all the other 6119-8090s, with or without, the SOG style dial had a different style case back. And that mine has the 6119-8093 style. Although it is clearly stamped 6119-8090. It also has a 6119A movement inside. That case back does not have any service marks inside to suggest a donor movement. If anyone has any information on this it would be much appreciated. View attachment 463163 View attachment 463165 View attachment 463164 View attachment 463166
The caseback style you have is correct for later model which also shared with many other Seiko models.
Earlier 6119/6106 have the stepped style below which is similar style to the snap off caseback.

The 6119-8090/3 is my favorite of all the SOG style dial watch. It has the highest jewel count (21), all stainless steel, applied Seiko logo and screw down caseback. There is no documented history however that it was ever used by SOG member. it would be interesting to get more back story of your watch to see if it was issued or purchased in PX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The caseback style you have is correct for later model which also shared with many other Seiko models.
Earlier 6119/6106 have the stepped style below which is similar style to the snap off caseback.

The 6119-8090/3 is my favorite of all the SOG style dial watch. It has the highest jewel count (21), all stainless steel, applied Seiko logo and screw down caseback. There is no documented history however that it was ever used by SOG member. it would be interesting to get more back story of your watch to see if it was issued or purchased in PX.

View attachment 463438
So from what I understand (info coming from the niece of the original owner), the owner was a mechanic instructor in the Air Force. I have a folders that includes an entire class (lesson plans, manuals, etc.) on how to work on a McDonnell F-101 Voodoo. I believe he was in the military from the beginning of 1950 to 1973.

·
Special Member
3,178 Posts
Based on the skull patch definitely recon. And the watch does look like a pogue, can see the pushers clearly.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
lambstew- Thanks for the great write up, so interesting and clearly written. Great writing style and descriptive photos. Thanks again for the great info !:coolpics:
Aloha ,

Just to add to this and information to this subject about ..... MACV-SOG Works.
This was published Today on .... The Yahoo News Page.
My Friend here has mentioned that they are practicing this again here at
...... Pearl Harbor and some other Military Base Areas on some Islands also.
NOTE :
This was known as ..... Special Patrol Insertion/Extraction System.
On these ....Forum Discussion Previous Pages it is was shown how it was done.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Aloha ,

Just to add to this and information to this subject about ..... MACV-SOG Works.
This was published Today on .... The Yahoo News Page.
My Friend here has mentioned that they are practicing this again here at
...... Pearl Harbor and some other Military Base Areas on some Islands also.
NOTE :
This was known as ..... Special Patrol Insertion/Extraction System.
On these ....Forum Discussion Previous Pages it is was shown how it was done.

Here is another YouTube Documentary also

601 - 620 of 656 Posts