The Watch Site banner

521 - 540 of 580 Posts

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts

The following 2 Extremely Rare photographs courtesy Jason Economos - MACV SOG Historian and Author of "Gentle Propositions". Thank You Jason for all your Fantastic Research and Incredible Photographs!

·
Poet Laureate
780 Posts
In Secret Commandos by John Plaster, the author mentions being issued a Seiko watch upon joining the SOG in 1968. That's consistent with everything discovered in this thread about the 6119.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
In Secret Commandos by John Plaster, the author mentions being issued a Seiko watch upon joining the SOG in 1968. That's consistent with everything discovered in this thread about the 6119.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Bradurani Sir,

Sargent Delima by nationality he was .... Portuguese from here.

As for the ..... 6619 Watch if it was also worn by any Vietnam Veteran
and he saw action in Vietnam we should also give it some credit.
After all if it was worn there that also gives it a lot of History even if it was not a said issued watch.
But what I am saying is this:
If he has Authenticated Purchase Information and or Spoken History that came with it, then it makes the watch ...... Officially Worn by that Certain Veteran Individual.

Not Knocking ....... The 6619 or 6119 Watch:
We just can not come out and always say .... ,
This was a ...... MACV-SOG Vietnam Watch actually worn by Veterans in Vietnam.
If it has been ...... Officially Spoken OFF and Veteran Use and Authentication then that makes it a
...... Vietnam War Worn Watch and it would be more of a ........ " Official Good Collectors Piece ".

Added Note:
We just do not know with so many of these watch's around now if they were actually in the
Vietnam War. But it is nice to have .... A Authentic One and also those that did not make
it to .... The War Zones.

·
Poet Laureate
780 Posts
Bradurani Sir,

Sargent Delima by nationality he was .... Portuguese from here.

As for the ..... 6619 Watch if it was also worn by any Vietnam Veteran
and he saw action in Vietnam we should also give it some credit.
After all if it was worn there that also gives it a lot of History even if it was not a said issued watch.
But what I am saying is this:
If he has Authenticated Purchase Information and or Spoken History that came with it, then it makes the watch ...... Officially Worn by that Certain Veteran Individual.

Not Knocking ....... The 6619 or 6119 Watch:
We just can not come out and always say .... ,
This was a ...... MACV-SOG Vietnam Watch actually worn by Veterans in Vietnam.
If it has been ...... Officially Spoken OFF and Veteran Use and Authentication then that makes it a
...... Vietnam War Worn Watch and it would be more of a ........ " Official Good Collectors Piece ".

Added Note:
We just do not know with so many of these watch's around now if they were actually in the
Vietnam War. But it is nice to have .... A Authentic One and also those that did not make
it to .... The War Zones.
Certainly, Sir. I don't like bursting people's bubbles, but these watches don't seem to be that rare judging by the number that pop up on eBay and forums. By that observation alone, I think it's safe to conclude these circulated widely outside SOG and were possibly even sold in the civilian market.

Here's, I think, a new discovery though that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. Plaster tells about SOG missions planting anti-truck mines on the Ho Chi Minh trail in Cambodia, then explains that the most high value missions performed by the SOG were ones in which they captured enemy prisoners for interrogation. It seems any native team member who participated in a successful capture was awarded a Seiko for his effort, though he doesn't mention what model

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Brad,

Thanks for posting the John Plaster "Secret Commandos" references. Very interesting that MACV SOG were given/issued a Seiko watch but the native indigenous troops working alongside in the Recon Teams had to "earn" their Seiko.

I would like to learn more about the Seikos that were awarded to indigenous troops for a successful Prisoner Snatch.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Many of the MACV SOG Recon Team Patches were designed by the Team Members. John Plaster designed the 3rd RT Hawaii Recon Team Patch.

The Mask represents the Ancient Hawaiian God of War - Ku

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The 6119-8101 I previously mentioned arrived. It was acquired from a collector who originally purchased it over ten years ago. This individual was also an early contributor to the collective research pertaining to the MacV-SOG watches. It’s from April ‘69 and pictured alongside my father’s infantry jacket, also from ‘69.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Many of the MACV SOG Recon Team Patches were designed by the Team Members. John Plaster designed the 3rd RT Hawaii Recon Team Patch.

The Mask represents the Ancient Hawaiian God of War - Ku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSHoVJav9aY
Aloha ,

Thanks for the information .... Kyle.

Just to add some .... Historic Information for those who might want to know this.
The Ancient God .... " KU "... is worshiped in the Hawaiian Religion System :

As you watch the movie segment and it shows .... Old Ancient Parts of the areas and land those pictures showing of the area is on on .... The Big Island of Hawaii and where the Volcanoes are at.
This is very close to..... The City of Kona ...on the South-East part of the city and a very well
know Tourist and Vacationing place.
The area is known as ... " The City of Refuge ".
This was a place that when a individual entered the surrounding Temple Area ....it was a place of Extreme Safety and Refuge.
This is also a very .... " Sacred Held Place to Native Hawaiian People yet today ".

This Park is maintained by ....
" The United States National Parks Services and is patrolled daily by National Park Rangers.
The picture of the Three God's is in ......The Bishop Museum on the Island of Oahu -
Honolulu, Hawaii.
The picture of the Statue in the Botanical Garden is on ...... The Big Island of Hawaii and was
carved in 1998 from the ... Original Tree that stood there by .... Mr. William " Rocky " Vargas.
The sign read .....
KU... The giver of .... Wisdom , Strength , Courage , and also when in any ...Type of Competition.
This why ...... John Plaster chose .... " The GOD of WAR KU ".
Aloha
Louis

Click on some of the pictures :

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Aloha my friend I remember reading in James Micheners Hawaii that Kanaloa (Ta'aroa) was the god of hell, not Ku. Was Michener mistaken ?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Aloha my friend I remember reading in James Micheners Hawaii that Kanaloa (Ta'aroa) was the god of hell, not Ku. Was Michener mistaken ?
Sorry my mistake. Ku was war god. Not god of hell

My mistake !!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Aloha Sir,

Yes ...KU The War God.
No problem Sir,
But as mentioned for many ....... War is always said to be Hell.

Note:
KANE ( E is ..A ) Considered ....The Highest of The God Deity and ...The God of Pre-Creation.
LONO .... God of The Sea
KANaLOA .... The God of The Underworld and of Chants.
KU ..... The God Of War
PELE ...The Fire Goddess.

KANE ... The Mythical God of ... Pre-Creation
LONO , KANE , KANALOA , (Fire God PELE .. E is sounding as ... A.
( KANE pronounced as ... KA'NA ... E is sounding as ...A .

http://www.hawaiireads.com/articles/ku-a-stunning-reunion-at-bishop-museum-plus-old-and-new-books-with-hawaiis-four-major-gods/

Oceanic Gods:
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/godsocen.htm

Diagram looks of ...The Gods
http://wunderkabinett.blogspot.com/

Louis

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
MACVSOG

You've got a photo of me right on this thread. I'm the guy with the seiko watch, a sawed off m-79, and a cig hanging out of my mouth. You posted it. #93. dated 8/14/2016. That photo was from one of Jason Hardy's books.
You also have a few photos of John Meyer, who is a good friend. I'm in chapter 5 of his book,"Accross the fence".
My name is Tim Schaaf

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Guys,

Happy belated 2020! Nothing new to report from me on the SOG watch front. Had a fun experience recently. Went to downtown Mooresville, NC. There is a coffee shop there that is also a Veteran's museum. Spent time chatting with a few vets and listened to some live bluegrass. Heard a pretty funny story from a Korean War vet about the night before a bunch of grunts shipped out from Ft. Smith AR. Had to make sure the wife couldn't hear him. :)

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
You've got a photo of me right on this thread. I'm the guy with the seiko watch, a sawed off m-79, and a cig hanging out of my mouth. You posted it. #93. dated 8/14/2016. That photo was from one of Jason Hardy's books.
You also have a few photos of John Meyer, who is a good friend. I'm in chapter 5 of his book,"Accross the fence".
My name is Tim Schaaf
Jason Hardy's books are fantastic. Jason spent a lot of time researching and documenting MACV SOG and his photos are fantastic. Do you have your own personal photos you could share? I would love to see a photo of you and Tilt?

·
Registered
21 Posts
MACVSOG

Tilt probably had more photos taken of himself than anyone I know, but I don't recall seeing any with the 2 of us, although there may be one somewhere. We were at Phu Bai together and have been friends for over 50 years. I just spoke with him a few days ago about a mutual friend who's not doing very well.
I do have some photos of myself with some other fellas and my Seiko(8100-6119). I also understand why you want me to ID myself and I'm not offended.
I have another motive for contacting you. I still have my Seiko and I'm interested in finding out the value. I talked to Jason Hardy about it 4-5 years ago, but he really had little idea at the time. I thought it should have a bit more value since I have several photos of me with it on, and I do have an extensive SOG recon background.
There seems to be more interest in them now than in the past and although I want to pass mine down to my daughter, I'd still like to get some idea of the value.
I'll try to figure out how to post some photos on this forum that you've never seen, Ive done it before but not for a while.
Nice to meet you. Tim

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Tilt probably had more photos taken of himself than anyone I know, but I don't recall seeing any with the 2 of us, although there may be one somewhere. We were at Phu Bai together and have been friends for over 50 years. I just spoke with him a few days ago about a mutual friend who's not doing very well.
I do have some photos of myself with some other fellas and my Seiko(8100-6119). I also understand why you want me to ID myself and I'm not offended.
I have another motive for contacting you. I still have my Seiko and I'm interested in finding out the value. I talked to Jason Hardy about it 4-5 years ago, but he really had little idea at the time. I thought it should have a bit more value since I have several photos of me with it on, and I do have an extensive SOG recon background.
There seems to be more interest in them now than in the past and although I want to pass mine down to my daughter, I'd still like to get some idea of the value.
I'll try to figure out how to post some photos on this forum that you've never seen, Ive done it before but not for a while.
Nice to meet you. Tim
Wow...I'm looking forward to seeing that.

·
Administrator
28,487 Posts
Nice to meet you. Tim
Check this link out.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-citizen-trading-post/920-how-post-pictures.html

521 - 540 of 580 Posts