The Watch Site banner

501 - 520 of 586 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
810 Posts
I went back and bought the watch and I'm over the moon right now. It's a 6619-8060 :)

I almost missed this watch because it looked like nothing special. If I hadn't googled it last night and found this thread, it probably would have languished at a cheap antique store for eternity.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread and thank you for serving our country!

IMG_20191011_170613.jpg

IMG_20191011_170646.jpg

IMG_20191011_170658.jpg

IMG_20191011_170708.jpg

·
Special Member
2,499 Posts
Congratulations on your Seiko 6619 SOG! $40 :eek:hmy: Dial and Hands look to be in great shape. With a New Crystal the Irridescent Charcoal Grey Dial should really PoP!

·
Special Member
2,499 Posts
Vintage Seiko 7005-8030 Automatic 17J MACV SOG Military Issue Men's Wrist Watch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-7005-8030-Automatic-17J-MACV-SOG-Military-Issue-Mens-Wrist-Watch-/223720169846

Fake Seikos are turning up everywhere and it was only a matter of time before the counterfeiters turned their attention to the Seiko SOG Watch. This Fake SOG recently showed up from a seller from India. According to the seller:

"ORIGINAL DIAL - PROFESSIONALLY REPAINTED BLACK COLOR."

Everything about this Dial is Wrong including the Lume that looks like it was applied with a toothbrush.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
C'mon now . It was professionally repainted
Vintage Seiko 7005-8030 Automatic 17J MACV SOG Military Issue Men's Wrist Watch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-7005-8030-Automatic-17J-MACV-SOG-Military-Issue-Mens-Wrist-Watch-/223720169846

Fake Seikos are turning up everywhere and it was only a matter of time before the counterfeiters turned their attention to the Seiko SOG Watch. This Fake SOG recently showed up from a seller from India. According to the seller:

"ORIGINAL DIAL - PROFESSIONALLY REPAINTED BLACK COLOR."

Everything about this Dial is Wrong including the Lume that looks like it was applied with a toothbrush.

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Question Kyle..

Have read.a lot.about.Jack Harrell and the MACV compound at Ben.Tre. and the famous battle during Tet which produced the quote, destroy it in order to save.ot. Jack was MACV but.not SOG? Sorry .

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
A big “Thank You” @bigbluekyle for the (CCS) patch you gifted me. I appreciate your generosity, but more importantly, your counsel and friendship. It’s pictured below, alongside my 6619-8280 dated February of 1967. I just acquired a 6119-8101. Pics to come.

Command and Control South (CCS) was the smallest of the MACV-SOG field commands and was engaged in classified special unconventional warfare missions inside VC-dominated South Vietnam and throughout Cambodia from May 1967 until March 1971.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Aloha
Agreed-ed with Shepard on this one.

Note:
These are original 1968 Vietnam Pictures from my album.

MACV ... was part of the Mekong River Command for a while after they were Unloaded
by 3 - LDS Ship to travel up into the Mekong River entrance and continue on till they reached ...
Ben Thuy / Ben Tre / My Tho.

These MACV Units Crafts were not connected or affiliated with any ..... MACV-SOG Units in the area.

From being unloaded in .....Vung Tau they stayed there for ... 2 whole days
tied up along side these two ship because the entrance was being cleared of Mines in the
river entrance.

This was the unloading of the SK Hover Crafts and also .... 8 PBR Patrol Boats that were also
along side these ships.
1- Was the ....U.s.S. Belle Grove LSD-2
2 - The U.S.S. Gunston Hall
3 - U.S.S. Epping Forest
These LSD Ships unloaded them and returned to California and back again ... 3 more times
to get all of these Units to Vietnam. Mean whole they were all anchored to ... 2 LST's
stationed in Vung Tau Bay till the operation came about

They were loaded up in ..... San Diego just out side of Coronado Beach.
They were taken by these Landing Crafts to Vung Tau and unloaded there.
The MACV SK Hover Craft was also unloaded there but stayed inside the ships well decks
( Picture showing the rear of the ships gate down ), because of the rough coastal waters
until they were ordered to go up river.

Altogether there were ....12 SK.5 Hover Crafts there for service.
Two more were sent there and they were ... New Up Graded Experimental .... SK.6's

The River Forces were in charge and connected to the ..... ( 9th & 5 Army and that was the ....
MACV Command ), in the entrance of the river.

This was all done in ....1968 when they were brought there.

These Hover Crafts were made by Bell Air Craft ..... 2 - years before they were sent there.

These were the MACV SK 5&6 ACU Unit Air Cushion Vehicle Test Units / Armor Platoon Air Cushion Vehicles
Also with them was the assigned ....
The Support Unit:
The 39th Calvary Platoon and they were to only patrol the Mekong River itself....... 24 hours a day.
The 39th Calvary was out only support on the river and in the jungle most of the time and
these guys were superb to work with.

These were .... Belle SK5's and SK.6's
Last pictures are ..... The 5th Army River Monitor Boats and they also had ....WWll Flame Throwers
mounted on them for fire power.
They were taken out of Vietnam in 1968-70 because a Soldier fell into one off the fans and got
killed so they detached them from Vietnam services.
one SK.6 model was badly damage by rocket grenade and was scrapped. They were quite good but
too noisy to be near or on them constantly.

Hope this helps a little
Aloha
Louis

Attachments

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Added Picture
Remember ....Vung Tau was totally destroyed by the V.C. before the
U.S Military came in and it was totally on the ground when they arrived and
then they built this base there.

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,499 Posts
A big “Thank You” @bigbluekyle for the (CCS) patch you gifted me. I appreciate your generosity, but more importantly, your counsel and friendship. It’s pictured below, alongside my 6619-8280 dated February of 1967. I just acquired a 6119-8101. Pics to come.

Command and Control South (CCS) was the smallest of the MACV-SOG field commands and was engaged in classified special unconventional warfare missions inside VC-dominated South Vietnam and throughout Cambodia from May 1967 until March 1971.

You are Very Welcome. Stunning Photograph :) Looking forward to seeing your 6119-8101 ;)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Aloha
Agreed-ed with Shepard on this one.

Note:
These are original 1968 Vietnam Pictures from my album.

MACV ... was part of the Mekong River Command for a while after they were Unloaded
by 3 - LDS Ship to travel up into the Mekong River entrance and continue on till they reached ...
Ben Thuy / Ben Tre / My Tho.

These MACV Units Crafts were not connected or affiliated with any ..... MACV-SOG Units in the area.

From being unloaded in .....Vung Tau they stayed there for ... 2 whole days
tied up along side these two ship because the entrance was being cleared of Mines in the
river entrance.

This was the unloading of the SK Hover Crafts and also .... 8 PBR Patrol Boats that were also
along side these ships.
1- Was the ....U.s.S. Belle Grove LSD-2
2 - The U.S.S. Gunston Hall
3 - U.S.S. Epping Forest
These LSD Ships unloaded them and returned to California and back again ... 3 more times
to get all of these Units to Vietnam. Mean whole they were all anchored to ... 2 LST's
stationed in Vung Tau Bay till the operation came about

They were loaded up in ..... San Diego just out side of Coronado Beach.
They were taken by these Landing Crafts to Vung Tau and unloaded there.
The MACV SK Hover Craft was also unloaded there but stayed inside the ships well decks
( Picture showing the rear of the ships gate down ), because of the rough coastal waters
until they were ordered to go up river.

Altogether there were ....12 SK.5 Hover Crafts there for service.
Two more were sent there and they were ... New Up Graded Experimental .... SK.6's

The River Forces were in charge andconnected to the ..... ( 5 Army and that was the ....
MACV Command ), in the entrance of the river.

This was all done in ....1968 when they were brought there.

These Hover Crafts were made by Bell Air Craft ..... 2 - years before they were sent there.

These were the MACV SK 5&6 ACU Unit Air Cushion Vehicle Test Units / Armor Platoon Air Cushion Vehicles
Also with them was the assigned ....
The Support Unit:
The 39th Calvary Platoon and they were to only patrol the Mekong River itself....... 24 hours a day.
The 39th Calvary was out only support on the river and in the jungle most of the time and
these guys were superb to work with.

These were .... Belle SK5's and SK.6's
Last pictures are ..... The 5th Army River Monitor Boats and they also had ....WWll Flame Throwers
mounted on them for fire power.
They were taken out of Vietnam in 1968-70 because a Soldier fell into one off the fans and got
killed so they detached them from Vietnam services.
one SK.6 model was badly damage by rocket grenade and was scrapped. They were quite good but
too noisy to be near or on them constantly.

Hope this helps a little
Aloha
Louis

Thank you Louis. I read the Vietnamese called the PACVs "monsters" so the black berets took it one step up and painted eyes and teeth on the bow. Also read they were pretty effective in the Plain of Reeds but not very much any where else as they were too noisy (although it was also said they were capable of 50 knots or faster and thus compensated speed for surprise)

·
Special Member
2,499 Posts
@LongBike and 850champion - Thanks for the photos and information. Amazing Machines. I would like to see a painted "Monster" :) Thanks for Sharing!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Aloha Sir,
Hi Kyle
Yes they were really Big and quite Dangerous too.
The noise they made drove every one crazy when they came near.
Only good for Swamps and open areas but not up the river.
The Personnel that ran them did not really like them at all but when you in
the Military you got no choice.
I doubt they are still in use any more or might be but who knows.
Glad to be of some help for the research.
Aloha
Louis

·
Special Member
2,499 Posts
Time to Take a Short Break in the Action for a Musical Flashback ;)

Jimi Hendrix Short Clip of "Machine Gun" recorded Live at the Isle of Wight Festival UK 1970

·
Registered
240 Posts
Working on my watch. I'm saving the original case to go with the watch if I ever sell it for authenticity and the history of it.

What do yall think about the case swap?

Re uploaded the video with the new and old cases

501 - 520 of 586 Posts