The Watch Site banner

481 - 500 of 586 Posts

·
Special Member
2,530 Posts
Wonderful Collection of SOG Watches and Vietnam Wrist Compasses. I see you found the Very Hard to Find WPIC.

Done :undecided:

I don't see ;)

6119-8100
6119-8101
6119-8101 SS/SS

·
Registered
53 Posts
Done

Silly me, did I say done? I meant for now, until the next one comes up that I can't live without:undecided:

Thanks Kyle

·
Special Member
2,530 Posts
MACV SOG Graphic Art courtesy of David Paul Seymour

David was commissioned privately by the son of a Vietnam Veteran who served with MACV SOG to create his own unique Doom Metal version based on the original MACV SOG unit patch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my 8100 has arrived

Special Delivery today. My 6119~8100 arrived. That was the last of the BIG 3 to find. Needs a new crystal, once replaced I think the face will be beautiful. Lume is like new. Case has wear as expected, but that just shows character IMO.

Group shot, Left to Right:
1969 6106~8219
1967 6619~8060
1968 6119~8100
1969 7005~8030
1969 7005~8030 White

Now to re coup some of my money Time to sell my two doubles, 7005 & 6619.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
John Stryer Meyer's - Across The Fence - Seiko reference

Howdy. For my first post, I figured I'd contribute something (hopefully) meaningful.

I like watches and love military history and stumbled upon this site after finishing reading John Meyer's Across The Fence (2011). Meyer was a C&C guy with MACV-SOG and saw quite a bit of action in 68-69 in Cambodia and Laos. Great book BTW for insight to those missions.

As far as relevance to this forum thread, I found this interesting tidbit in chapter sixteen which is aptly named "Stuff We Carried, Stuff We Didn't Carry":

On my right wrist I wore a black, self-winding, luminescent Seiko watch, which was so bright at night that I wore it face down on the bottom of my wrist, under my glove. Thus, even in the pitch-black jungle, I knew when to make communications checks with the airborne command aircraft, usually at midnight, or at 2 a.m.

Also interesting is that he carried 34 loaded mags (18 rounds per for 612 total rounds) for his CAR15 in addition to a PRC25 radio. Plus hand grenades, a sawed-off M79 with 40mm grenades, claymore(s), C4 and some other gear topping off around 90lbs. Those guys represented the definition of loaded for bear.

At any rate, great book with a cool historic watch reference that hopefully adds something additional to an already informative thread.

·
Special Member
2,530 Posts
Howdy. For my first post, I figured I'd contribute something (hopefully) meaningful.

I like watches and love military history and stumbled upon this site after finishing reading John Meyer's Across The Fence (2011). Meyer was a C&C guy with MACV-SOG and saw quite a bit of action in 68-69 in Cambodia and Laos. Great book BTW for insight to those missions.

As far as relevance to this forum thread, I found this interesting tidbit in chapter sixteen which is aptly named "Stuff We Carried, Stuff We Didn't Carry":

On my right wrist I wore a black, self-winding, luminescent Seiko watch, which was so bright at night that I wore it face down on the bottom of my wrist, under my glove. Thus, even in the pitch-black jungle, I knew when to make communications checks with the airborne command aircraft, usually at midnight, or at 2 a.m.

Also interesting is that he carried 34 loaded mags (18 rounds per for 612 total rounds) for his CAR15 in addition to a PRC25 radio. Plus hand grenades, a sawed-off M79 with 40mm grenades, claymore(s), C4 and some other gear topping off around 90lbs. Those guys represented the definition of loaded for bear.

At any rate, great book with a cool historic watch reference that hopefully adds something additional to an already informative thread.
Thanks for the excellent reference. More documentation of another MACV SOG wearing a Seiko SOG

MACV SOG John Stryker Meyer

·
Poet Laureate
818 Posts
Wow, I found this in a store today with a $40 price tag on it. I took a photo and put it back, nonplussed. I'm not sure which ref it is, but I guess I should go back and buy it. Epic thread gentlemen. I've only skimmed it, but I'll do a full read soon. Thank you for your service 🇺🇸

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Wow, I found this in a store today with a $40 price tag on it. I took a photo and put it back, nonplussed. I'm not sure which ref it is, but I guess I should go back and buy it. Epic thread gentlemen. I've only skimmed it, but I'll do a full read soon. Thank you for your service

You should buy it if it is still there...
Great find

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,530 Posts
Lt. Gen. Richard Stilwell inspects MACV SOG Recon Team Idaho 1-0 Team Leader John Stryker Meyer at CCN April 1969.

481 - 500 of 586 Posts