The Watch Site banner

461 - 480 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good point Louis. The white dial would have posed security concerns. Thus the use of green tape on almost any reflective surface (impossible on the dial of course )

Just curious, what would have NVA or VC snipers used ? AK-47 seems a good sturdy weapon but not a marksman's tool . The SKS would have had a barrel too short for long range accuracy. Did they have French-era sniper rifles ?
I think there's an overthinking to these White dial Seiko. Hardly is a white face watch going to be a problem when the crystal & the watch itself is going to reflect far more drastically than walking up on me and seeing a half dollar white dial at 6 feet. One vet said they glowed so strong that you could read your rifles serial number in the dark.

I do agree that these were simply not worn/issued as there were plenty of other darker faced watches out there.

As for your question re: enemy forces snipers weapons 850, I believe that the Moisan~Nagant was used, IIRC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought my 1st one about two years ago. The rest have all been in the last few months. I am now officially BROKE!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Dropping in to say Hi

Hi All,

Thought I would drop by to say Hi and how really great it is to see all the excellent follow-up information since the post began. In particular the emergence of the 7005 as a bonafide addition to the then known SOG model range.

My crew is still intact :great:

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
@lambstew - Always great to hear from you. Stunning collection of SOG Watches and fantastic to see them on the original bracelets.

I bought my 1st one about two years ago. The rest have all been in the last few months. I am now officially BROKE!
It's all lambstew's fault ;) He began the Seiko SOG Thread many years ago and started all of us down this slippery slope :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
So true. Finding this topic has done wonders for my collection......and great harm to my pocket book!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
"It's all lambstew's fault ;) He began the Seiko SOG Thread many years ago and started all of us down this slippery slope :)"

..sure blame lambstew :eek:

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Hard to tell from the photographs but it does not look like a Seiko diver strap to me. Looking at the buckle, holes, and keeper it looks like an inexpensive aftermarket rubber strap or possibly even a Casio strap. Any 18mm flat vent diver strap should fit.

Seiko has a similiar 19mm straight vent strap DAL3AB19 - good looking flat vent strap and well made. As I believe the 7005-8030 lug width is 18mm a DAL3AB19 19mm strap might be a tight fit and need to be squeezed on. You might want to double check lug width before ordering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Close but I think the one Ben Baker is holding doesn't have the holes in either the short strap or the keeper. But that being said these are the closest I've seen.

Thanks Kyle

·
Registered
53 Posts
A few answers direct from SOG soldiers.....

I belong to a few Vietnam Vet sites and on one of them, MACV-SOG, I posted my Seikos and asked for recollections on what was worn, what was "issued", and what was available privately in country.

Here are some of my responses, straight from the Vets themselves.

I quote:

"I had a Seiko There was a sergeant major In Nutrang Add special forces headquarters that sold them I think he had the Franchise his last name I believe was Dunaway"

"Self-winding Seiko, issued by S-4 at FOB 2 Kontum. The watch-face glowed so brightly at night you could read your weapon's serial number with it!"

"I had a Seiko for the field, Rolex GMT Master for garrison."

"Was issued Sieko watches. Mine was destroyed in the attack on
CCN 23 Aug 68."

"C Co and A-103, CCS, always wore a Seiko Kenetic, no bats [batteries], had Rolex but only wore stateside for dress up. Still wear a seiko today divers watch, sometime after xmas good sales on Amazon. Paid 250 for my last one, still happy with it."

All quotes from soldiers that fought as SOG.

~Mark

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
I belong to a few Vietnam Vet sites and on one of them, MACV-SOG, I posted my Seikos and asked for recollections on what was worn, what was "issued", and what was available privately in country.

Here are some of my responses, straight from the Vets themselves.

I quote:

"I had a Seiko There was a sergeant major In Nutrang Add special forces headquarters that sold them I think he had the Franchise his last name I believe was Dunaway"

"Self-winding Seiko, issued by S-4 at FOB 2 Kontum. The watch-face glowed so brightly at night you could read your weapon's serial number with it!"

"I had a Seiko for the field, Rolex GMT Master for garrison."

CCN 23 Aug 68."

"C Co and A-103, CCS, always wore a Seiko Kenetic, no bats [batteries], had Rolex but only wore stateside for dress up. Still wear a seiko today divers watch, sometime after xmas good sales on Amazon. Paid 250 for my last one, still happy with it."

All quotes from soldiers that fought as SOG.

~Mark

Excellent! IMO this is the Best New Information on Seiko's being issued to MACV SOG and used in Vietnam since this thread was begun. Thank You for all your hard work and effort. As all of us on the SCWF already know there are some people who like to pretend that they are someone that they are not. What makes this information so important is that you got it directly from MACV SOG Veterans themselves. The Seiko Connection to SOG is getting stronger every day. It looks like there is enough information and solid leads to keep you busy for a very long time. Please keep us posted with any additional information or photos that you find.

This is a Very Exciting Development. Excellent!

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
CCN 23 Aug 68."

This quote is especially fascinating as it is referring to the attack on the CCN compound in Da Nang.

On August 23 1968 over 100 elite NVA commandos silently slipped under the barbed wire that marked the outer defenses of the US Special Forces compound in Da Nang. The carefully planned and well executed attack began at 3 am with NVA sappers throwing explosive satchel charges and grenades into barracks and command centers and then opening fire with AK47s. For the next three hours Green Berets and indigenous troops working with the MACV SOG Recon Teams battled the attackers throughout the compound. By dawn the raid was over and 17 Green Berets had been killed (many killed in their sleep). It was the largest single day loss of Green Berets in Vietnam.

US Special Forces CCN building in Da Nang damaged during the attack. NVA sapper killed during the daring attack lying on the ground in front of the building.

US Special Forces CCN Compound at Da Nang - this photo was taken later in 1970 after fortifications were increased.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excellent! IMO this is the Best New Information on Seiko's being issued to MACV SOG and used in Vietnam since this thread was begun. Thank You for all your hard work and effort. As all of us on the SCWF already know there are some people who like to pretend that they are someone that they are not. What makes this information so important is that you got it directly from MACV SOG Veterans themselves. The Seiko Connection to SOG is getting stronger every day. It looks like there is enough information and solid leads to keep you busy for a very long time. Please keep us posted with any additional information or photos that you find.

This is a Very Exciting Development. Excellent!
You're welcome. I was very happy to read these reports direct from the SOG vets themselves, and knew that I had to share the info here. There were other watches worn as well, but I was after confirmation regarding our Seikos and the story that goes with them.

If more quotes come in, I'll post them as well.

461 - 480 of 580 Posts