The Watch Site banner

441 - 460 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just picked up a Seiko 7005 8050R in great condition. Love the band but dont know how to tell if its a period correct one?

I also have a White dial 7005 8050 on the way. Will post pics upon arrival.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Two more arrived today. A 6119 8083 (just for fun) and a 7005 8030. Also picked up Tire Track & Waffle pattern wrist bands.
Two more yet to arrive.

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Amazing Squad you have Assembled. I particularly like your 7005s with one on an earlier cotton military strap with wrist compass and the other on a Tire Tread Strap - Which 7005 setup looks best to you? All of your SOGs look Stunning. And More Incoming? ;) Looking forward to seeing More :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Kyle. Im a sucker for the Nylon straps w/ compasses.

Hey I have a question. Are all the 7005 8030s marked on the dial at the "6" 8050 (R)?

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Thanks Kyle. Im a sucker for the Nylon straps w/ compasses.

Hey I have a question. Are all the 7005 8030s marked on the dial at the "6" 8050 (R)?

I Agree. A SOG setup with a Correct Vietnam War Era Wrist Compass on a strap supplied with the Wrist Compass or a Better Qualtiy MILSPEC Watch strap looks fantastic! Although I do like wearing SOGs on the Diver Straps. Classic Combinations!

All of my 7005-8030 SOGs and all of those I have seen are all marked 8050 on the Dial. Casebacks are all marked 7005-8030. You will find with Seiko that many Dial Codes do not match the caseback number.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks. So I have two 7005s that are dial marked 8050, one back is marked 8050 the other 8030. The 8030 has a second hand with a "block" on the tip that has lume. Is that common?

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Thanks. So I have two 7005s that are dial marked 8050, one back is marked 8050 the other 8030. The 8030 has a second hand with a "block" on the tip that has lume. Is that common?
Sounds like someone swapped a 8050 caseback on to a 8030 watch.

Looking more closely at your 7005 with the WCCo compass it looks like the hands might be replacements. Hard to tell from the photograph but it looks like both the Hour and Minute hand have lume area that is smaller than original hands. I can also see that the sweep seconds is not correct.

If you are a purist perhaps you might look for proper replacements but IMO having a SOG with a Dial in very good condition with the lume on the Arabic Hour Markers in decent shape is the most important part of a SOG watch. Most everything else can get sorted later on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As Upton Sinclair wrote “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

The Idea that a white dress watch would have ever been an issued item is just nuts.
If you are referring to the fact that a White Face/Dial may give your position away, perhaps sitting on an ambush and it being seen, what about the fact that ALL these watches are shiny chromed/plated/Stainless watch bodies? That alone would be far more reflective and dangerous than ANY white face/dial would ever be. Sleeves were worn down, gloves worn pulled up, chances are the watch was never "out there" to be seen anyway. So I Respectfully disagree. IMHO of course.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Many of the photos I have seen of MACV SOG Operators show them wearing the watch with the Watch Head worn to the inside of the wrist. This would make good sense as it would reduce the risk of exposure from any reflection of a stainless steel watch while in the field on a mission. But I have found no evidence of CISO ever "issuing" a White Dial Watch to MACV SOG.

MACV SOG John Plaster

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Aloha,

The white Dial's were hardly used by many from what I have seen.
If you had a white Dial Watch many had some sort of covering for it. We use to Paint the Case Black because it would stand out like mentioned.

One could find paint real easy to get form other people in the camp or area. There were a lot of
guy's there that made some thing to cover the watch while being used. You find some Canvas or Material sew it the size you need to have them on one side make a .... Little Draw String so after
you check the time you can pull it tight and it stayed that way till you opened it again.
One would be surprised how ..... A Shiny Object could be seen from far away and invite a ....
Shot Fired to it.
Many even painted their Glass's with paint if the Frame was Shiny. Some used Black Tape while out in the Bush or just left it on all the time. Many just removed their glass's when in the
Bush or other places .
OK, now why would I say this it is because,
....... " IF I ACTUALLY COULD SEE IT "... close or from a distance let me tell you it could
...... COST YOU YOUR LIFE ..... IF I WAS POSITIVE THAT I SAW IT.

Always and I mean Always, ........ Remember it works like this..... " ONE SHOT - ONE KILL ".

Louis

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting. Don't think I'll chase a Gold one down. Never been big into Gold watches. Im always looking for more of what I already have.
Im finding I like the White 7005 more than I thought I would. Still, no comparison to the black ones.
The Italicised numerals are still my favorites out of all of them though

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
MACV SOG Massive Firepower - CAR15s with under-barrel M203 Grenade Launchers, RPD machine guns, RPG 2 (B40) Rocket propelled grenade launchers, M79 Grenade Launchers, and 60mm French "Knee" Mortar.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Good point Louis. The white dial would have posed security concerns. Thus the use of green tape on almost any reflective surface (impossible on the dial of course )

Just curious, what would have NVA or VC snipers used ? AK-47 seems a good sturdy weapon but not a marksman's tool . The SKS would have had a barrel too short for long range accuracy. Did they have French-era sniper rifles ?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
MACV SOG Massive Firepower - CAR15s with under-barrel M203 Grenade Launchers, RPD machine guns, RPG 2 (B40) Rocket propelled grenade launchers, M79 Grenade Launchers, and 60mm French "Knee" Mortar.

Are the Vietnamese in the picture Chieu Hoi? They aren't rangers, coz rangers wore tiger cammies, and they aren't RuffPuffs coz the RF/PFs wore scarves. I don't know if the Chieu Hoi (the Kit Carsons) wore the same uniforms. The Nung and the Yards wore different uniforms I believe .

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Are the Vietnamese in the picture Chieu Hoi? They aren't rangers, coz rangers wore tiger cammies, and they aren't RuffPuffs coz the RF/PFs wore scarves. I don't know if the Chieu Hoi (the Kit Carsons) wore the same uniforms. The Nung and the Yards wore different uniforms I believe .
I don't know if the Vietnamese in this unit are VC Defectors, Republic of Vietnam Regional or Popular Forces, Hmong, or Montagnard. My understanding is MACV SOG preferred to recruit among the Hmong and Montagnard who had a fierce reputation for loyalty.

Mad Dog Ran with the Yards

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Aloha ,

Well Kyle you got a lot of this right and you also .... 850.
Once you have come to meet these Local People you ave a great understanding of just why they are like this. Freedom is a very cherishedpart of living a good life no matter if you are Rich or Poor it
counts a lot.
Once one mad good relations with these people you have them for a longtime and they became
... Your Friend like no other.
Heck you sleep holding each other up back to back, eat together, sleep next to each other fight together. They were so efficient to provide for you whenever they saw possible.
A lot of the Local Fighters mainly did not have use for watch's they just lived the days and night
out in a good way. You find out ...
Time is just not that important when you were in that environment for so long.
As for the ... V C they had Russian , Czech, Chi-Com weapons.
The ...Montagnard they were skilled Cross Bow guys. The VC if had when found captured American Weapons if they could and use them back against the Freedom Forces. I would say I don't think there were to many skilled
experienced .... V C Snipers that used Rifles as weapons.
As for them Men in the picture you give them a good weapon and they used it to great skills and they were great partners to be with.
When you have Men like these you shared and every thing that you had and always gave them very strong respect for just who they were. You could always rely on them to have your back and even
when you did not ask they were always there. Many developed a Buddy System because of the
unseen. Some made a Small Touch on the back of the neck , or Touch the back of the Head or a Ear
as a signal that they were behind of the other. They were masters of Being Silent even in the Jungle.
When we left Vietnam that was one of .....
The Hardest Part of the everyday for many of Us because of the attachment we had with many of them. It was a time off great appreciation to just who they were and how we got along with each
other. They gave us Great Honor and Respect and Fellowship and we Experienced it and Valued it greatly. Nationality and Race of many just never became a problem for many.

The best way to say a lot of this is like this....
" Only A Sniper Thinks and Fights like another Sniper ".
Then this will also come into ..... Positive Truthful Action.....
" Only A Sniper can Take Out Another Sniper ".

Results and Out Come :
A lot of this is ...
" Just How You Are Trained to do ...... What You Do What You Got To Do ".

Aloha
Louis

441 - 460 of 580 Posts