The Watch Site banner

401 - 420 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

@37thguy I found this photo of MACV SOG Ben Lyons. You may already have seen it but thought I would post it here. Notice Lyons' modified CAR15 with added forward pistol grip - a MACV SOG improvisation.

Aloha bigbkuekyle

Kyle the Added Front Handle helped to keep better Acurracy When Firing.
Make a big difference when you are just shooting away and need to make a good Hit. Weapons have some Kick so Control can help a lot.

The period of Mid-Sixties a new system came about in the form of The M14 advance of the ...M1 Gerand.
The .....XM-16E1 quickly replaced it in the Army use but continued to be issued yet but it continued on as a Sniper System the eventually went to the.... XM21. But the marines continued to use the M14 for ....2 more years.
This M14 used a small low power Unertl Scope ranging maybe not more than ...600 - really pushing to 8?? in range depending on The Sniper shooting it.
Therefore .... Sniper Gunny Sargent Hathcock ....( White Feather ). It is know that he always said that
.... The Prone Position was His Favorite.

The M40 Sniper System was to replace the ....Winchester Model 70 -.30-06. with the Unertl Scope.

This new system was built around ....The Remmington M700, Short Action 7.62 and fitted with a ....Green Anodized Red Field 3x-9x Accu-Range Scope.
This is one reason when they came out with the ....Vietnam Version Of The Winchester M700 7.62 Sniper.
The Barrel was very heavy so it really made the .... Recoil Smooth and comfortable.
Over weight around .... 18 Pounds.
Now we are cooking when being shot and more range and better Scope use.
NOTE:
When this System was mounted to a ....MacMillian - Hale Stock. The Bravo 51 makes its Revue.
Now when all this is mounted with a ..... Leupold MK3 10X , with a Leupold MK4 Gold Rings,
and a ...Lueplod VX-HD LPR Mark 8, there was no Creep or Travel for use.

NOTE:
The Bravo 51 System is not called ...." The Kate ".
( No NCIS Gibbs Myth because he said he imagined it to be that....OK . )

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
In my younger days I managed to fire both the M14 and the M16. Didn't really shoot enough of them to tell the difference ballistics wise. Friends in the military who used both weapons systems say the M16's rounds get easily deflected by, well, just about anything, while the M14 usually stayed true. Again, I haven't fired enough of both to notice a difference (except that the M14 kicks harder, and I found its design a bit un-ergonomic).

In the southernmost tip of the Philippines, the area that adjoins North Borneo, there is an insurgency that has flared on and off since the Spanish conquest of 1571. While there are recent reports of the Barret .50 cal. making its way into the insurgents' sniper schools (smuggled by the insurgents' Jemaah Islamiyyah counterparts), after action reports show the M14 remains a favorite of the insurgents' sniper teams.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Aloha

Mabuhay 850

Yes I know what you mean about the M14 and it is like carrying a small BB Gun around but easy to maneuver and use.
I still have one yet and for a long time.
The M700 is so heavy to lug around and bulky for use too but it get a lot of the job done.
Here I have used some of these when hunting for sort of Big Came.
I have used for a long time my ..... Reliable Weatherby .270 that a friend gave me long ago.
It had a Leupold Vari-xll Scope on it, Tally Rings and Base with inscriptions and a
Weatherby Sling and was quite good for its time.
I asked the sales Women .... What is the price on those and there was only....2 Rifles there and she said..... They said it was a ...Parker Hale Model .270 Rifle.
I told her is that the going price for them and she said yes so I said..... Let me see it and I bought
Both of them. The price then was very interesting to see and they were selling for .... $110.00 USD
and they came with a quite good Bushnell Scope and good Slings for the time.
For some cheap Models they were very good and lasted some time till I gave them to my Cousin for use.
One of them had ..." Breach Loading Problems " so I sent it back and they fixed it.
The Other was a complete knock Out and proved to be very accurate and did some good Long Range Shots also and my Friend were amazed to its performance. But they always said .... " In the hands
of a Good Shot they could see how it was done ". So I used the good one and other was a spare.
I have had many Weapons of variable makes and models collected for a long time.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Wow. $110 won't buy you a backyard assembled .38 here (and the .38 will probably blow up in your hand)

Thanks Louis. Those are fine weapons in very capable hands
Aloha

Mabuhay 850

Yes I know what you mean about the M14 and it is like carrying a small BB Gun around but easy to maneuver and use.
I still have one yet and for a long time.
The M700 is so heavy to lug around and bulky for use too but it get a lot of the job done.
Here I have used some of these when hunting for sort of Big Came.
I have used for a long time my ..... Reliable Weatherby .270 that a friend gave me long ago.
It had a Leupold Vari-xll Scope on it, Tally Rings and Base with inscriptions and a
Weatherby Sling and was quite good for its time.
I asked the sales Women .... What is the price on those and there was only....2 Rifles there and she said..... They said it was a ...Parker Hale Model .270 Rifle.
I told her is that the going price for them and she said yes so I said..... Let me see it and I bought
Both of them. The price then was very interesting to see and they were selling for .... $110.00 USD
and they came with a quite good Bushnell Scope and good Slings for the time.
For some cheap Models they were very good and lasted some time till I gave them to my Cousin for use.
One of them had ..." Breach Loading Problems " so I sent it back and they fixed it.
The Other was a complete knock Out and proved to be very accurate and did some good Long Range Shots also and my Friend were amazed to its performance. But they always said .... " In the hands
of a Good Shot they could see how it was done ". So I used the good one and other was a spare.
I have had many Weapons of variable makes and models collected for a long time.
Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey everyone, I picked up some nice Vietnam mid 60s era un issued OD watch bands in 16mm. I have Black & Stainless buckles. Give me a shout if you need one, or two ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hey everyone, I picked up some nice Vietnam mid 60s era un issued OD watch bands in 16mm. I have Black & Stainless buckles. Give me a shout if you need one, or two ;)
Lovely !

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
The auction's shocking result is quickly followed by an opportunistic and overly optimistic Ebay seller with another 7005 SOG.

Search "SEIKO Military Special Ops Vintage 1970 Vietnam War MAC-V / SOG 7005-8030 Black"

·
Registered
53 Posts
The auction's shocking result is quickly followed by an opportunistic and overly optimistic Ebay seller with another 7005 SOG.

Search "SEIKO Military Special Ops Vintage 1970 Vietnam War MAC-V / SOG 7005-8030 Black"

Not as clean as the one that just sold for $1960.

Id consider offering maybe $800 but Im sure that would be an insult ;)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Aloha,

Original Owner and Possible History to the watch will make it very much worth getting.
But some of these prices are outrageous for them if need to rework and no history to go with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aloha,

Original Owner and Possible History to the watch will make it very much worth getting.
But some of these prices are outrageous for them if need to rework and no history to go with them.
Looked nice and clean. No military history on it. Just a nice, somewhat rare model. About twice what I feel it was worth.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Totally agree. I wouldn't mind paying a premium if it was an actual issue watch worn by someone who was actually there and there is objective evidence to prove it.

(Coz even an actual issue watch may turn out to have been worn by an REMF)

Absent this, it's only just the same model as a macv but not an actual macv. It's like saying your Universal Geneve Polerouter with a gold dial is worth a $2,000 premium coz Bruce Lee wore the same model (he did, by the way)
Aloha,

401 - 420 of 580 Posts