The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
excellent info. interestingly, i only used to like watches that had numerals on the dial - not just hash marks. i've since taken a liking to "non-numeral" dials, but i can see why i liked the arabic numerals so much. those watches are real beauties! now i'll keep my eyes peeled for something like those.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I came across a complete movement for one of these on eBay about 8 months ago. No one seem to pick up on what it was and I bought dirt cheap. It was a 6119-8110 RAD marked on the dial. It runs perfect and the lume is still in decent shape. I have been looking for a case to appear on eBay one day. I really like the dial design.
If it was not for this article I would have passed over it too.

Michael

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Aloha ,
Yes they were there and I had a few also, today ... who knows where they went.
Yes these watchs were all over the place and the ... Degar -Montagnards had them.
They were the most dependable guys to have with you too. They were the guys we called ... " Halo's .
They watched everyone to make sure they did not get hurt or taken out. They were given these watchs and they prized them and kept them in good shape too. They would just sit and stare at them on their wrist and when you asked them ......
" Hey Whats Ups ", they would say .... I am a G.I too. We told them sure why not you are my Brother, and they would reply saying
..... " Yes ,Thanks Daiwi ". When around them I made very sure they were well taken off all around. I even gave them my hammock to sleep and I would sleep on the ground by the boat piers. If you ever needed protection
these were the ones to be with. They just despise the V.C. terribly.
" Professional Cross Bow "guys too. I have a few on the other Island at my Mom's house yet.
Aloha

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The one on the left..

Lambstew,
Is the watch on the outside L not officially SOG Seiko given the lack of the 5 sport logo?
..is NOT the SOG model but an earlier predecessor, and the watch on the far right is the one which came afterwards about a year later. Only the 6119-8000 & 6119-8001 in the middle are the actual SOG models..

·
Registered
97 Posts
..is NOT the SOG model but an earlier predecessor, and the watch on the far right is the one which came afterwards about a year later. Only the 6119-8000 & 6119-8001 in the middle are the actual SOG models..
Lambstew,

Thanks for the confirmation. I am on the trail of what I hope is real SOG now. Will know for sure next week when I hold it. In anticipation of acquisition, I've purchased this vintage Waltham wrist compass and strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Lambstew,

Thanks for the confirmation. I am on the trail of what I hope is real SOG now. Will know for sure next week when I hold it. In anticipation of acquisition, I've purchased this vintage Waltham wrist compass and strap.
That will look amazing together :sign0098:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lambstew,

I am pretty much obsessed with SOGs at the moment. : ) I found this post from Reddit forum that seems to confirm that other Seiko models are genuine SOG's too. It cites a specific operator being issued a watch that does not have the day of the week function like the others. Curious to know of you interpret it the post the same way.

A good friend is a researcher and collector for Vietnam-issued timepieces. He wrote this up, and I'm putting it here as well as at/r/Seiko:
About five or six years ago I heard rumors of a Seiko watch that was issued by the US Government to Special Forces units in Vietnam. I came across an old post on MWR where this very watch was discussed, and a picture of an actual issued watch was presented as an excerpt from a book on Special Forces operations in Vietnam called "Running Recon". Turns out there actually was a Seiko watch which was issued by the Counter Insurgency Support Office (CISO) to Military Assistance Command-Vietnam, Studies and Observation Group (MAC-V SOG) personnel.
In order to be of use to a counterinsurgency soldier, this watch had to be "sterile" (no military markings). Often, the Special Forces guys using them were not operating in areas where they were officially supposed to be. Consequently, there would be no real way to differentiate them from ordinary watches sold through civilian channels...they didn't WANT them differentiated. Other than watches actually owned by Special Forces soldiers, it's anyone's guess as to whether a particular watch was issued or not, so it is difficult to determine exactly which models were handed out. After doing some light research, I discovered that the model in question, or at least ONE of them, was the 6119-810x. I got this one a couple weeks ago, and before I could do anything with it the watch was lost in the shuffle of a house move. This is a 6119-8100, and dates to April, 1969. Here is a pic of it, along with part of the article in question which shows the issued watch...
Apparently, however, this was not the only model that was issued by CISO during this period. Below is a picture of two watches which were actually issued by MAC-V SOG to named Special Forces operators.
According to "specialforceshistory.com"...
The Recon Watch
The black faced Seiko watches were purchased directly from the manufacturer in bulk by Ben Baker who was the department head of CISO (Counter Insurgency Support Office) and issued throughout the different SOG Supply Offices (S-4). Two variations of the watches were issued to cross border personnel to include a time date and non-time date. The bands were usually replaced by the veterans for the nylon strap found with the survival wrist compass. The Seiko Watch on the left was issued to Michael Sheppard of Recon Team Montana and the watch on the right was issued to Steve Perry who was assigned to MAC V SOG, OPs-80.
Picture #2
Picture #3: Here is another of the issued 6119s, from "lkmilitary.com"
Pretty cool, eh? The watch on the right is clearly a 6119-810x...anyone know what the watch on the left is? There may be a Daini symbol on the dial...looks like maybe a 7005?
I have three of these 6119s. I buy them whenever I see them just because of the cool, spooky, Special Forces connection. Most of the ones I find are a little ratty because they have a plated brass case, and consequently they sell cheap. The one shown above dates to April, 1969, and has a 6119B. I have no military history on it, but I did notice that the watch appears to have never had a bracelet and has the exact same kind of brass spring bars as the known SOG-issue watch in the article. Coincidence? Maybe...

·
Registered
97 Posts
SOG acquired tonight as part of a 3 watch Seiko grouping. Not cheap. Someone else knew what the middle watch was too. But I knew I had to have it. I can't wait to pair it with the Waltham wrist compass band!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
And now I am thinking I might now have 2 SOGs and the 4th example of the 6119 8090.

From an eBay post last month....
"That brings us to the 6119 8090 which Is the second of the examples I show In my original picture; These are Incredibly rare and I've only ever seen 3 examples; the one I own, the one In Konrad's thread and one that sold on Ebay about six or seven years ago. "

21 - 40 of 586 Posts