The Watch Site banner

181 - 200 of 580 Posts

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Aloha Longbike and 850 Champion. Thanks for the excellent posts and additional information. I live in SE Asia and find the people extremely superstitious beyond my wildest beliefs. It is one of the reasons I LOVE living here...the beliefs are very unique, colorful, and makes everyday life entertaining.

I live in Thailand and have been living in a wonderful mixed Thai/Farang village with the best neighbors I have ever had. Considerate, helpful, and who would do anything for a neighbor. One evening I noticed all my neighbors taking a plant cutting from a plant growing in a field. What the Hell were they doing? I finally asked.

The Thais are EXTREMELY superstitious!!!

Oh...that plant is a special good luck plant. If you take a cutting the night of a full moon and plant it before the morning and it survives for 1 year you will have good luck the next year. OK can you get me a cutting. OH NO....you must cut it yourself and no one can touch it. Before planting you must walk around the entire house 3 times counter clockwise. Then plant!

OK...I took a cutting and carefully planted it that night. I have been very careful with my good luck plant - watering, sun, proper fertilizer (maybe that's cheating). It is located in the front of my house to bring in good luck. All my neighbors marvel at how well my good luck plant is doing.

I've had the plant for over 1 year now and so far this year I have been Lucky...Very, Very Lucky.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Aloha Longbike and 850 Champion. Thanks for the excellent posts and additional information. I live in SE Asia and find the people extremely superstitious beyond my wildest beliefs. It is one of the reasons I LOVE living here...the beliefs are very unique, colorful, and makes everyday life entertaining.

I live in Thailand and have been living in a wonderful mixed Thai/Farang village with the best neighbors I have ever had. Considerate, helpful, and who would do anything for a neighbor. One evening I noticed all my neighbors taking a plant cutting from a plant growing in a field. What the Hell were they doing? I finally asked.

The Thais are EXTREMELY superstitious!!!

Oh...that plant is a special good luck plant. If you take a cutting the night of a full moon and plant it before the morning and it survives for 1 year you will have good luck the next year. OK can you get me a cutting. OH NO....you must cut it yourself and no one can touch it. Before planting you must walk around the entire house 3 times counter clockwise. Then plant!

OK...I took a cutting and carefully planted it that night. I have been very careful with my good luck plant - watering, sun, proper fertilizer (maybe that's cheating). It is located in the front of my house to bring in good luck. All my neighbors marvel at how well my good luck plant is doing.

I've had the plant for over 1 year now and so far this year I have been Lucky...Very, Very Lucky.

Hello Kyle,

Good luck with the plant!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
excellent info. interestingly, i only used to like watches that had numerals on the dial - not just hash marks. i've since taken a liking to "non-numeral" dials, but i can see why i liked the arabic numerals so much. those watches are real beauties! now i'll keep my eyes peeled for something like those.
I'm with you - I prefer indices. These Arabic numerals look italicized too me and uncharacteristic for Seiko, which makes them even more interesting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Guys,

Merry Christmas! It has been awhile. I haven't posted in 18 months. Life has been busy, but mostly good. Got caught up in creating a 1973 Porsche RSR tribute car and changing jobs etc. Unfortunately, had a really bad experience on the watch side. I took one of my SOG suspects and a genuine "resist/resist" Pogue watch to a local watch maker. He was going to fix them both for me. He strung me along for 11 months, claiming he was looking for parts. I asked for my watches back and he went radio silent on me. He stopped taking my calls and won't reply to text. I know his shop is still there, but in all honesty I am a too angry to go in there anymore and a little afraid of what I might do if I did. The kicker is this guy is a Viet Nam refugee and claims to go to the same church as me - though I've never seen him there. (I'm not the most religious churchgoer). Anyhow, I don't need anything on my record at this point in my life and stressing out about it just makes me bummed. Pretty sure I am going to chalk it up to myself being a trusting rube that got conned and try to learn from it.

I see the thread has grown a lot. I have not read everything on it. I just jumped to the end to post this. On the bright side, I stumbled across a '67 6619-8280 that I picked up.
I'll try to post some pictures of that later. Again, MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So much wrong here:

Was it...

A. A dishonest seller and an ignorant buyer?

B. An ignorant seller and an ignorant buyer?

WTF :confused:
Funny you should post that very same picture. I actually p.m. the guy on eBay and talk to him about that and told him that that was not a SOG watch. He told me I was wrong and stupid. I told him it simply was not what he was advertising it as. He told me that I couldn't be sure and since I couldn't be sure he was going to sell it as a SOG watch

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
As Upton Sinclair wrote “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

The Idea that a white dress watch would have ever been an issued item is just nuts.
I sent him links to this and all the other macv SOG threads

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
mind if I but in, I see there is a lot of talk about Vietnam books, do we have a group of people that collect and read them. reason I'd like to know is @ one time I had the largest collection of books in the US. one hard back was signed as we had dinner w/him. he had 3 books I think one was Men with Painted Faces, his name is Gary Linder former LRRP.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
As Upton Sinclair wrote “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

The Idea that a white dress watch would have ever been an issued item is just nuts.
Hi ,
I will agree with ..... Seiko Hoarder on his reply of having a ..... " White Dial Watch in a War Zone ".

I will say this: " IT COULD HAPPEN " , and I would have to ......." Strongly Doubt it more as a Issued Watch ".
Louis ...... Vietnam Vet

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
MACV SOG Roger Smith 1-0 RT Hawaii - October 1971

The US Army’s experimental “barefoot boot” was designed to leave the imprint of native feet by MACV SOG Special Forces patrol members.

181 - 200 of 580 Posts